1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We don't need to add a 3rd star..... right now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketSuperman, Jul 11, 2013.

1. RocketSuperman

I'm new to the board and have been a Rockets fan since I was younger. Just recently discovered this board. So I look forward to some great conversations about our Rockets in the future!

With that all said, I am against adding a third star right now for a couple of reasons.

1. A third star would be risky because we would be forced to get rid of some of our very talented young players and we have a good chemistry going right now.

2. By not adding a third star, it would keep money freed up to surround Howard and Harden with young, very athletic talent. Instead of having to add older, vet minimum players.

If we do end up trading Lin and/or Asik this coming season, that free's up more money to possibly add that third star or keep stock piling the young talent. Which if it's not a trade for Love or LMA, I would keep adding athletic, defensive players.

That's just my thoughts.

Morey is probably in the best position of any GM in the NBA right now. Lots of options now and in the future.

1 person likes this.
  2. MaxStrick

MaxStrick Member

9/10

would read again.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

The #1 reason we won't add a 3rd star right now is because.........we can't afford one.

Focus on 2015 free agency if you're looking for a 3rd star (which could play out at the 2014-2015 trade deadline).

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I still think Parsons has all the potential to grow into that 3rd star role for this team. The 3rd year is when we usually see what type of player a prospect will become and I think he'll be even better than last year. His game compliments Howard and Harden very well.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'm still not convinced that they *have* to get a "3rd star" to succeed.

We have two of the top 10 players, if they just surround them with very good role players a long run to the finals is still possible. If you give a real look at other teams, and dont stretch the concept of "star" too much, there arent really other "Big Threes" out there. The closest thing is Miami, and even then I dont really consider Bosh a superstar. OKC has Durant and Westbrook, some like to add Ibaka, but in my eyes he is on the same level if not lower than Bosh. NY has Carmelo...Amare and Chandler are no longer considered stars.

Really, when it comes down to real talk as far as which players *actually* deserve the title of star, imo there arent as many as some folks think.

Me personally, I'm just hoping Parsons makes another leap forward with his game....its only his third year and most young players are still improving at this point in their careers. I have lots of faith in the starters, as long as the bench can step up this team should be a lock for WCF.

EDIT: what jayhow said

6. RocketSuperman

I would be on board with this if we could add John Wall (if he opts out by then). I would really like that. He fits our style perfect.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Miami is not a big 3 anymore to be honest.

Bosh hardly plays like a star and Wade's health prevents him from being a star for anything more than stretches. Parsons can be a star for stretches as well.

I'd prefer to have competent starters at 3 of the 5 with 2 stars and a competent bench. I do like Miami's ability to keep running shooters off the bench and I think Morey is going after that strategy as well.

8. koopa

koopa Member

#Bandwagoner sighting. Bandwagonner disguised as long-time rocket fan.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

/modhat on
    These two replies are clear cut examples of replies that need to cease.

It is a valid topic for discussion(god knows it gets brought up enough in other threads), adn if you cant be bothered to give an actual reply, do us all a favor and dont post.

/modhat off

1 person likes this.
  10. RocketSuperman

Actually you couldn't be anymore wrong. I have been a Rockets fan since I was a kid. I remember the days of Mario Elie burying the Suns with that awesome dagger 3. Still one of my all-time favorite Rockets moments. That is second only to the Rockets Game 1 greatest comeback in Finals history against Orlando. Watch some of that on YouTube not to long ago.

11. koalaznbear

koalaznbear Member

There's no need for this. Whether you've been a Rocket fan since you were in the womb or whether you've been a fan since today at 10:30 AM, a fan is a fan.

The main arguments I'm seeing in this "3rd star discussion" are as follows:

* We don't have talent at the PF position.
    * Proven stars vs young undeveloped talent.

In my opinion, I think we need to let our young players develop more. These guys are babies, and they barely got playoff experience a few months ago. There's lost of room for growth and chemistry building. They have shown flashes of greatness and were able to handle a full season of roster changes while remaining competitive. While proven talent is something you ca rely on, it costs money.

12. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I don't think it necessarily needs to be a "star". I believe we just need another scorer that can get his. I know this board loves chandler, but I would trade him for Granger if healthy.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A 3rd star...

The one we deserve but don't need right now...

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If you can get a star now, there's no reason to pass it up. The opportunity might pass you by. But it would more fortunate for us if players were available at the deadline. Most of our players don't have very high trade value at the moment. Playing on a dominant team this year could give them a boost. Asik's value is probably at it's highest, but teams will be interested even if he plays limited minutes. Our PF rookies in particular could take a leap forward, lowering the cost of obtaining a star.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think it is only a matter of time before LMA or Love are on this team.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Until this team takes the court and plays a season, nobody can really tell what they need. Of course, adding a 3rd star doesn't hurt. I think though that when the playoffs come around, a PF that can get his own shot whether that's in the post or from the outside would really benefit this group. Who knows though? If LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love do become available later on in the season, I would hope we at least try and get one of those players. It's hard to see right now how they'd acquire such a talent even if those players were available because I don't believe the Rockets have the necessary assets, but if other teams were involved and some of the Rockets assets (Jones, Motiejunas, etc.) emerged, then that would definitely help.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Motie, Jones, Parsons and Lin all have star potential, I'd like to see that play out over one season or at least until the trade deadline. But if somehow Love or Aldridge became available for any combination of trade assets we have, including them, I'd jump on it.

With a full camp and a set team though, it's time for those guys to step up or ship out.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Ignore those guys, welcome to the board.

BTW, I agree with your OP up to a point. I think we should go with the current roster and see how it plays out at least to the all-star break. At that point we will have a better idea if any of the young PF's will turn into a legit starter or if Lin will take a step forward in his improvement as a starting PG.

Asik will not lose value so we have time to maximize our returns if we decide to trade him.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Agreed, Ive read lots of folks think that if Asik isn't the starter his value will drop, and I don't agree with that at all.

NBA GMs know what Asik did last season as a starter, and his skills arent gonna go downhill unless he gets injured. Those skills dont diminish if he get relegated to a backup role when a better player gets signed.

Asik is a top 5 center in this league last season as a starter, and he is still a top 5 center as Howard's backup.

When and if he gets traded, it will be for full value.

20. Big Red Machine

The 3rd guy is there in Parsons.