1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We could all learn something from Mr. Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Jan 9, 2007.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Until recently he was the most hated player on this board. I think many of us owe Mr. Howard an apology. He has been a complete professional and obviously has been working very hard to maximize his effectiveness given his diminishing physical skills. I know I stated his days of playing more than 10-15 of effective m/g were over...but I was wrong.

I came across this article tonight, and wanted to post some excerpts to show a bit more love for our starting power forward...he is a true professional and a great asset to the team.

:D

This Rocket never rocks boat

Veteran Howard respects game, all about the team

Juwan Howard knows disrespect...

But as the Rockets play the Bulls here Monday night with Yao Ming out with a broken leg, Juwan Howard is back in the starting lineup. He still is not very athletic, not much of a jumper, long shooter or dunker. But Howard is the only member of Michigan's famed Fab Five still playing a significant NBA role.

"I don't get into all that [disrespect talk]," says the Chicago native and Vocational High School grad. "You have to go out and earn your respect, in practice, in game situations, when your name is called to be ready to go in the game and provide what the team needs.

"Why go out and speak publicly about situations? Why should I ever go out and speak about some displeasure when I can go out and compete and enjoy what I'm doing? The best part of all this still is 1994 when I was drafted. It's been a dream of mine from when I was a little kid. I wanted to play in the NBA and I have. That day is still the high point in my career."

No, you don't hear much about Howard, who still doesn't jump much, run too fast or shoot too well.

But in his 13th NBA season, Howard carries career averages of 16.3 points and 7.2 rebounds. And though he's averaging 7.4 points and 6.0 rebounds this season, he was averaging 15.2 points and 8.2 rebounds in five straight wins without Yao going into Sunday, when the streak ended with a 103-99 loss at Minnesota. Howard kept up his solid play with 19 points and five rebounds.

Howard has played in an All-Star Game and earned a third-team all-league honor one season. He doesn't show up on highlight shows, or in the police blotter. Perhaps he never says much interesting or clever, but he works on his game like he's not a multimillionaire and appreciates every day like it was the first.

Howard is the kind of player who makes you feel proud to be a fan of the NBA.

"I look back and I can't believe it's 13 years," Howard said one day last week after practice. "And now the fact I'm playing a lot and playing well, I thank God because I've worked hard at it."

It wasn't really coach Jeff Van Gundy's plan.

In fact, Howard was startled when Van Gundy told him before the start of the season he wasn't even in the rotation anymore. The Rockets wanted the deep shooting of Battier at power forward. Then they decided they needed the rugged rebounding of Hayes next to Yao.

"I didn't like the idea," Howard admits of going from starter to DNP. "But I figured coach Van Gundy researched it and felt it gave us the best chance to win. It so happened it lasted three games. Then he wanted to start the young guy, Hayes. I disagreed with that. Yao and I had won a lot of games. But I respected the coach's decision. He studied this more than I did."

And then Yao went down and they needed Howard starting again.

"Juwan has been one of the best professionals I've ever had the chance to coach," Van Gundy wrote in an e-mail. "He didn't play the first game this year, but instead of questioning, he just kept preparing. He is the same guy every day: comes in, works hard, totally committed to the team, enthusiastic.

"Most veterans lose the love of the game before they actually lose their game. Juwan still loves the gym, the preparation that goes into being a quality player."

"It was life-threatening," Howard said of the viral myocarditis he contracted late in the 2004-05 season when he was sidelined by a knee injury. "At times I thought my career might be over. I couldn't do any conditioning for six to eight months. I couldn't take my heart rate over 120.

"But I came back the next season and played 80 games and there's been no aftereffects. I didn't allow it to beat me."

And, remarkably, hardly anyone has been beating the Rockets lately even without Yao, who was having an MVP season. It mostly seems to be because of McGrady, who has been producing big offensive numbers again after a return from back problems.

And with very respectable play from Juwan Howard.

Full article here.

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

When I saw the thread title I thought this was a misplaced thread about our Australian Prime Minister John Howard, of whom we can learn very little from.

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

:D

I have started to refer to Howard in a more respectable manner than the 'JHO' moniker often used on this board.

He has certainly earned it said respect.

4. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

LOL

I spilled some milk, that was funny

I think you just found a nickname for Juwan.

Juwan The Prime Minister Howard, because he's professional and a vocal leader

5. MONON

MONON Member

Howard's double digit scoring & rebounding along with Deke's rebounding & paint D are the reasons we have won without Ming.

6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That is brilliant!

7. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I think I feel a tear rolling down my cheek. What a story. Hey guys, this dude is multimillionaire!!! He could have easily quit after that virus he had and he fought his way back. If was life threatening and he still played because he loves this game. Good thread this is a good lesson for all of us, love or hate him you have to respect him.

8. davidkconover

davidkconover Member

That is a good find and a good article.

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

"are"....part of the main reasons. The other is TMAC being TMAC again.

Notable mention must be included about our team depth and the great help Shane, Luther, John John and Mr. Hayes have been giving us so far.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Why do people keep suggestion Howard is owed an apology. Most people on this board wanted Howard gone because he sucked for 2 years running. ANd last year was the biggest sucker yet. He is playing admirable now and any suggestion of trading him is only justifiable if he is included in a trade for a better pf in his place. Since that is not the case now than there is no need to talk trade. Yes he is helping this team now and for this he should be commended. But if he starts to play horridly as before than the bench will be in order again.

11. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Is it me or has Zboy taken a leave of absence ever since Juwan has been stepping up? :D

12. milkyecho

milkyecho Member

hmm, I am glad we didn't trade him, and glad he is finally producing.
    I think not starting at the beginning of the year was a good motivator. However, I still don't think he is worth his contract, do you?

13. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

BRILLIANT!! brilliant!!!
    drink guinness

14. Prosun

Prosun Member

I really didn't realize it was disrespectful. Mavs fans call Josh Howard "J-Ho" also, so I thought this was the same thing.

15. Prosun

Prosun Member

No, he's really gone. Either that or he cowardly made a new username.

16. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per Old Man Rock:

"Why do people keep suggestion Howard is owed an apology. Most people on this board wanted Howard gone because he sucked for 2 years running. ANd last year was the biggest sucker yet. He is playing admirable now and any suggestion of trading him is only justifiable if he is included in a trade for a better pf in his place. Since that is not the case now than there is no need to talk trade. Yes he is helping this team now and for this he should be commended. But if he starts to play horridly as before than the bench will be in order again."

You're the best OMR

I agree-I am pleased and extremely surprised at Juwan Howard's level of play. His shot still sucks.

He remains one of the weakest 4's in the West. He is overpaid- and the worst- we owe him 2 more years after this season.

Juwan is adequate-not special

17. bbjai

bbjai Member

I think the idea is we take his personal experience and apply into our own lives. Howard could have responded by not working and doing absolutly nothing for this whole next two seasons that we owe him. Would you rather he not be contributing? Its about his attitude, something that seems to be lacking in alot of the NBA players now a days

18. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

bbjai-

You are absolutely right. Juwan's attitude is exemplary. He could have just collected a check- to his credit his effort is unmatched.

19. bbjai

bbjai Member

Exactly, I rekon many people in the same situation would have just collected the check. I mean how many of you would rather go through hours of physical pain of training when ur stuck on a bench after 10 seasons. 99% of you would probably say no, Truthfully. I know i would

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He is a class act, a winner in every way. He keeps his goat perfectly manicured and he steals sunglasses. I admire his hustle and his wardrobe. Howard is a leader, a breeder, and a Hershey bar eater. He's invisible. He's everywhere.