1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We can’t ignore the elephant in The room, Green needs to start over KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kind of a simple minded response, but I guess I shouldn't have expected any different.

It's manifestly observable that Green as of right now is an inferior player to KPJ. Only the most blind of fanbois would disagree.

You can talk about potential all you want but that says nothing about today.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm willing to leave this up to the coach. He knows these guys' temperaments a lot better than I do, and we are not trying to win a championship. If one of these guys can't swallow their pride and be a 6th man as a rookie/sophomore, that's not a great sign anyways. They have to know the team is relying on them long term so they're not at risk of a job. It's just a log jam until we get the $40M man out of here. You can come off the bench and still get equal amount of minutes - and bonus, you get to play against second units and light it up.

Deckard likes this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

Start all 3 of Wall/KPJ/Green, who cares. If it works....hey thats cool. If not....hey thats cool too.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm also expecting a lot of rest days and injury time for Wall. So there still will be a lot of just KPJ/Green backcourt.

EG is probably going to see more games and playing time than Wall.

HP3 likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Some team...Clippers, Miami at the deadline might get desperate to try and compete. So I think we play Wall maybe to upp his value.

We gotta showcase him as well, as sad as it is for me to say.

#85 HP3, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

PG: Garuba
    SG: Wall
    SF: Green
    PF: KPJ
    C: Wood

I think this keeps everyone happy. Garuba wants the ball more, Wall and Wood have to start, and apparently Green and KPJ are both part of our soon-to-be championship core so they have to start too.

napalm06 likes this.
  7. Jalen Green OnlyFan

The problem with this is that KPJs production and career trajectory changed when he was allowed to play point instead of the 3.

Green isn’t nearly strong enough to play the 3. Silas would be harming Green and/or KPJs confidence and development if one of them has to play the 3

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Positions dont matter as much anymore. He'll guard whoever he has too tbh. Teams switch a lot now. If you are a weak matchup on the floor, players will find you. This is the NBA, these guys are not that fragile.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Start Wall for a few games - but give Green plenty of minutes. Wall will get hurt by game 10 and Green will be the starter. Minutes are more important than starter status and Wall hasn't been able to make it through about half the season at any point in the last 3 years so I would expect the same here.

Where we would REALLY get screwed is if Wall came in healthy and played 80 games at an MVP like level and simultaneously made us better AND impacted the minutes for our youth movement but teams wouldn't believe it would last so no one wanted to trade for Wall anyway....so of course that is exactly how this is going to happen. Welcome to Wall averaging a near triple double and Houston fans being PISSED about it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

Don't know about most of the season, but ideal to have a healthy Wood at least in the morning.

[​IMG]

HP3 and Kevooooo like this.
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I for one won’t be pissed at us succeeding just because we MIGHT lose out on some draft prospects that MIGHT turn into something in the future.

hakeem94 and Easy like this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You think it would harm him to play a position he's played before? lol Welcome to Clutchfans where they want 6'3 power foward Tate but hate the idea of 6'6' small forward Green lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Would it be succeeding though? You want to sacrifice the future to make a play in game?

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean this assumes Wall is a mvp caliber player. He isn't. Even at his best he wasn't. He was nothing more than an all star. Now he's in the tough West at a distant level from his all star playing days Those don't elevate teams to the caliber of an mvp player. Folks need to stop worrying about this team being too good right now. It's not happening. stop with all the unnecessary assumptions and best case what if's. This team is projected to win like 20 games for a reason. It's because that's absolutely on point

#94 YOLO, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    glimmertwins likes this.
  15. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Yeah it could. Playing the 3 against NBA caliber players is taxing.

Tate will be 26 years old in October. Green is 19.

KPJ has already proven he’s much better at the 1 then the 3. We saw this play out in Cleveland. His positional switch changed his entire career trajectory.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im sorry this is silly. It would tax Green to play the next position up? Really? Where do you guys get this mess? SO its OK for Tate to be a 6"3 PF because he's 26 lol . I need to stop replying to some of these comments lol The only thing that will come from Green playing the 3 is that he'll learn how to play the 3 lol

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't agree that you're sacrificing the future. The POTENTIAL to get a high draft pick doesn't necessarily equate to success. If that's how you measure "sacrificing the future" then the league would be even less competitive than it currently is because anyone NOT in the top 4 seeds or so would just tank every year because "the future." Winning is more important than rolling the dice for a prospect -- it's not like Lebron James is in the next draft. Chet is no LBJ.

A winning culture > losing culture. Look at Minny. Losing culture hurts. FAs don't want to play in losing cultures. Teams don't typically go from the bottom to the top without winning first -- and that means winning 42+ games in consecutive years.

At the end of the day, ONE team wins the ring. You shouldn't give up before even trying because people don't THINK you have a chance. That sets a terrible precedent that will result in guys like Green jumping at the opportunity to play elsewhere. Long term success relies on a good, winning culture.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I can give you lots of examples of teams going from botom to top recently you just have to actually look. Secondly we are at bottom thats where we are. We'll be there regardless of playing young or old guys the most we'll get with the older guys again is a playin which we might reach anyway with the younger guys playing. The difference is that we would be giving the young guys precious experience, instead of being scared to play them. You cant coach scared like that.

19. Jalen Green OnlyFan

You’re on drugs joe.

Green is 19 years old and 180 pounds. Tate is 26 and 230 pounds. Thats a big difference when it comes to playing the 3.

Put down the bong my brother.

20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im talking about Tate at the 4 and Green at the 3. People here love the idea of Tate at the 4 which is ridiculous but for some odd reason they cant picture Green at the 3 its silly. You really think that being at the 2 means you dont defend 3s? Do you even watch basketball?

hakeem94 likes this.