1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We can’t ignore the elephant in The room, Green needs to start over KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don’t get the Wall love around here. He was horrible as a facilitator and inefficient as a scorer. Green could very well be better than Wall this year.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Former all-star. I fully suspect that Green will be better than Wall day one. Green showed in summer league he understands the team concept, unlike Wall who is only about himself. If Wall comes out and has a different mind set and is team first, then I will stand corrected. People keep referring to what Wall was 5 years ago, not what he is now.

3. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

GOT EM.

Tfor3 likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

so you got that from a couple games in a summer league full of a ton of guys who aren't even good enough to play in the league. nice. boy are some of setting yourselves for failure thinking things literally happen overnight

5. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Yeahh.. read this whole thread and some of these fakes are awful. John Wall probably beating Jalen Green 1v1 in practice 8/10 times and by healthy margins.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

3 years ago. And the season was lost after Wood went down. If you’re hesitant, that’s one thing, but to downright ignore the rest of his career as a “team player” and elite creator, well that just seems short-sighted. If you’re concerned about health, sure, qualify your prediction. I just think it’s silly to assume a rookie will come in and automatically be better than a multi-time all star that was coming off two major injuries last year in what became a lost season shortly after Wood went down and the losing began.

very few rookies, 1st pick or 2nd pick come into the NBA and automatically click. The g league is not the nba. Summer league is not the nba (I mean, yes, it technically is, but talent and experience wise it ain’t close).

I have zero expectations for Green to be better than veterans until AT LEAST the all star break.

CXbby likes this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Nah we got enough now. Don't want that OKC indefinite pick stockpiling and rebuild.

34to11 and DreamShook like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I find it unlikely we don't start Green, which sucks for KPJ.

He's a money-maker, Green will generate PR and thus revenue for Tilman. Will give the Rockets more exposure, show up in more highlights.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The better player should start, and that's clearly KPJ. Perhaps that could change one day, but as of right now KPJ is just a lot better.

I think the goal should be to dump Wall even if it costs a few picks to get someone to dispose of him so that KPJ and Green can start together since that'll be the future and there's no way Wall would agree to coming off the bench.

WIthout more moves, Green as a rookie simply isn't one of the top 5 players on the roster....and that's fine. Let the kid develop off the bench while we run the clock out on Wall

As of right now, Sengun has a better case to be starting next to Wood instead of Theis than Green does starting next to Wall over KPJ.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to Wall, it's not about merit necessarily, you have to start him in an effort to try and sell him. Also, if you bench him, he's VERY likely to create a toxic locker room which is the last thing a young team needs to be dealing with.

The real discussion is between Green and KPJ, and as of right now, KPJ is the better player so he should be starting.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Folks, there's nothing wrong with being excited about Jalen Green and hope that he will supplant John Wall. Green is our future. Wall isn't.

True, very few rookies can unseat a multi-time all star at the outset. But Wall is injury prone and he didn't play very well last season when he was healthy. So it is not too far-fetched to believe/hope that Green and KPJ will take Wall's starting job.

If Green isn't better than Wall quickly, Silas may have an easier time gradually giving him bigger role as time progresses. But if Green is good from the beginning, Silas will have a dilemma. Should he let the young guys start over Wall? Will Wall accept a backseat role for the good of the team? Will it turn into a locker room distraction?

As fans, we hope that Green will show himself to be a franchise level player right out of the gate and Stone can somehow trade Wall. But reality is seldom as neat as we hope.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm a lot lower than most on KPj until i see consistent maturity over a few years. I feel like he's just one more immature outburst from doing something stupid and nearly being out of the league. Not a fan of his highlight dribble/dribble/dribble/shake/shake/shake before making a move style. Getting assists out of high usage iso does not =point guard or unselfish. Mostly, i'm just not sold on his off court maturity so quickly and being blinded by talent 29 other teams knew he had. The same reason we were able to get him for peanuts the same way 29 other teams could have. Even if he balls out for a a while.....Latrell Sprewell was a talented guy as well.

With KPj being young enough and costing us less to see how he matures, i believe showcasing Wall for a trade is more beneficial right now. It also shows us how KPj can handle it with maturity which we need to see from him after he's been prematurely calling himself the "franchise" - i expect he wont take it well and will mess up again.
    Benching our star #2 pick with a big rookie contract and ROY expectations from himself and most of the league on a 17 win team sends a really bad message and will be step 1 into running him to LA or some other big media market team. It's stupid and unnecessary. This isn't the 80's and 90's where star rookies have to come off the bench on a veteran team. Average age is a lot younger and with so much player mobility and all non media darling teams losing their star players eventually, you have to give these kids the Harden treatment right away.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Weird. I didn't know we got a say in this. I had foolishly assumed Silas would be making this decision. Can I also have a say in our uniforms?

#73 Williamson, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you want to give an inferior rookie player "the Harden treatment" because you are afraid they are too immature and mentally frail to have to earn their spot? Damn, you are REALLY low on Green it seems.

Kevooooo likes this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Also, it's not a 17 win team. That team didn't have a healthy Wood for most the season. Ego played 27 games. Brand new coach. Brand new system. Covid drama. Harden drama. John Wall injuries. KPJ new position. This team is better than last year's, post-Harden. Green has a chance to earn a starting position, but he, like everyone else, should have to earn it -- not be gifted. And if he wants to win ROY and expects to, then he will prove it in practice that he deserves to be starting. It's also possible to win ROY off the bench. It does not matter who starts the game, it's who finishes it and impacts the game. Manu and Ego are prime examples of guys who haven't started for years and still have enormous impacts on the game.

No way should coach be catering to Green before he's played a second in the NBA. He's not Lebron James.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I disagree on dumping Wall using FRPs. Why? If you don't expect to win ASAP, why lose assets that could be extremely valuable in the near future when Wall is going to be a massive asset next season at the deadline with that expiring contract? Doesn't make sense to me -- unless you think we can win NOW. And as optimistic as I am about this squad, I don't think they're anywhere close to contention. Wall's salary kind of protects us from ourselves. We likely won't make any risky long term signings because of his cap hold. But as soon as he departs, either after expiring or trade next year, we will have the opportunity to immediately improve, as KPJ, Green, Wood, Tate, KMJ will all have another 1.5-2 years together under Silas to form a good core and chemistry. Then you add a max player or two and BOOM this team is back in the mix.

If you do it (trade Wall using assets) too early, I think we hurt our near future prospects.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The elephant in this room is all the folks who are clueless as to what we have in KPjr. I understand being all enamored with our top pick. Green's going to be a helluva NBA player one day. But, staring all of you in the face is a guy who has already shown glimpses of superstardom....in the NBA, 21 yrs old, at a position that takes a long time to develop. KPjr's talent is undeniable. Y'all have watched enough hoops to know. Take the blinders off, and recognize that at the moment, this is HIS team. I understand the concern about his past issues, but he's growing up...and this stuff won't hold much water as time rolls by.. He's obviously a transcendent talent who is waaaay closer to being a franchise player than anyone on the roster at the moment. (It seems Green has a good chance to be one too...awesome for us) Jalen will eventually play alongside of him. For now though, you can count on EG and Wall cutting into his minutes until they're gone.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You are kidding yourself if you don't think Wall, KPJ and Green aren't starting together. Is it optimal? No. But that's what it will be next season with Wall still on the roster. Wall will start as long as he is in Houston. And KPJ and Green are not coming off the bench.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

I see it's just the same few Mobley fans who keep calling Green inferior. Thankfully, the coaching staff and ownership has different views.

-Green will come off the bench no problem...perhaps even letting it known he's disappointed through the media at most, but it is unnecessarily trying to start a bad relationship with him. He has nothing but rave reviews about his character. That is different from a guy who has a history of throwing tantrums and acting out in violent and immature outbursts. You test the latter to see if he can handle it and has changed or grown from his past mistakes. You test the former to potentially create unnecessary problems where they didn't exist in the first place.

34to11 likes this.
  20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I could see them having Green start the season off the bench. Unless he just comes in and automatically meshes with NBA speed, it's smarter to ease him into the role then to throw him to the wolves. He needs to be allowed to make mistakes, but too many too early could hurt him and his coach's confidence.