1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

...we aren't gonna make the playoffs are we?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Stevie Francis, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Stevie Francis

Well i was wondering if we could make it, but i'm loseing hope. and an:( :( With this strike i don't know if there will be a playoffs. Lets just face it baseabll is dead. Noone there will give up there salaries with out sueing.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Without a strike, I think we have a shot. I THINK that STL has been playing teams like the Pirates, while we've been playing the Reds and teams like that. Plus, I'm sure we still have several games against STL. The 'Stros just have to starting turning it up.

But I have a feeling that baseball may strike. So forget the playoffs. :(

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There won't be a strike. The Astros will make the playoffs. Chalk up those two as my predictions for the season. :)

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you wanna bet on your first statement???

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

There will be a strike. The owners will respond with a hard salary cap. The players will hate it. Some of them will never come back. To this I say : Good! To hell with all of you and your greed! To hell with Barry Bonds especially...his "It's not my fault you don't play baseball," and liking a baseball strike to a strike of busdrivers are the most incredulous, ridiculous and ungrateful statements I have ever heard.

IMO, there will be a hard salary cap next year. Within the next couple of years this will bring financial stability and ticket prices will decrease.

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

We play the Padres this week.

St Louis plays a Cincy team that HAS to sweep to even be considered a contender. Double dip on Tues. I think.

I don't believe there will be a strike, then again I believed in Santa until the 8th grade. If not, September will be a great month of baseball for Astro fans.

7. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

I'll take one too, I dont think anyone is going to be at a MLB game this weekend.

8. MadMax

another brother -- what progress have you seen that leads you to believe there will not be a strike. i'm not criticizing..just curious...because i don't see any way these guys don't end up striking.

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If we do make the playoffs you know what the results will be. 3 and out and a team batting average of .205. Im a big Astros fan but I know they always choke in the playoffs. Hopefully they will prove me wrong this year but I seriously doubt it.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

There may be a strike, but it will be short lived. Playoffs will still be there with the Astros in it.

My prediction is that the strike, at the most, will be for one week. Baseball will return and so will the playoffs.

11. RC Cola

Agreed. IMO, its not fair, or competitive not having a cap. It can tear apart a dynasty pretty quick, but at least every team has a chance to win. I think they should just strike and work out the problems. If they have to create a whole new system, do it. (though hopefully it won't go that far.)

JMO

Oh yeah, GO STROS!

12. Refman

It won't necessarily destroy dynasties. Look at the Lakers...3 in a row...all with a salary cap. The trick for a dynasty will be having superior management.

13. RC Cola

Ok..maybe I should have phrased it better...."it will ruin the Yankees."

Is that better? :D

(btw, I don't know why but I was thinking of a football salary cap, instead of a NBA salary cap. In football, there haven't been many dynasties, lately.)

14. Refman

Dynasties, no. Teams that are consistently good (Rams) and consistently bad (Lions)...but no dynasties. What we are looking for in a situation where the fans in Kansas City will have reason to believe that at some point they will be able to compete.

15. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Nothing leads me to believe it, just a gut feeling i have. It's kinda like when my aunt Mary took off her bra in front of me when I was 12. I didn't know exactly what, but i had a funny feeling that something weird was gonna happen that day.

In case you're wondering, she was 60 at the time.
    :eek:

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Sorry to break the news to all of you, but the season is going to end on friday..
    Baseball Sucks!!
    Go Astros!! :)

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I've heard conflicting reports. The head of player licensing here told me yesterday that, after talking to a bunch of agents, the possibility of a strike is 80%. (Would agents lie? Never!) However, one of the baseball editors, who's well versed in the game (and history), believes that a deal will be made today. Personally, I believe there will be a short-lived strike, but don't take my word on it...

18. MadMax

i can't see a strike being short-lived...eventually these guys are gonna break up the negotiations, particularly after the strike goes in effect. i don't see all the major players sticking around to negotiate the next day...they'll take a break, i would assume. this season will be gone...that's my guess.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There won't be a strike; the deal will get done tonight. Wait and see. The Astros will still make the playoffs too. :)

20. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

JAson Stark wrote today that the two sides are only about $8 million apart on revenue sharing, plus some issues about how to implement the sharing plan. If they shut the game down for $8 million, they're stupider than I thought.