1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are the only real bidders in a preseason Dwight Howard sweepstakes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Jul 5, 2012.

1. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

From the Magic perspective there are a few ways they can rebuild.

A. Cap space and proven talent - This would involve a player like Lopez or Bynum in order to have a centerpiece to entice free agents in the next two years. Heavier cap relief would be necessary and the Magic would want to clear out the longest contracts of

Jason Richardson - player option in 14/15 for $6.6MM (highly likely) - $18.6MM/3yrs
    Glen Davis - $19.4MM/3yrs
    Hedo Turkoglu - $12MM next year, $6MM guaranteed in last year - $18MM/2yrs
    Chris Duhon - $3.3MM next year, $1.5MM guaranteed in last year - $4.75MM/2yrs

From my perspective, Richardson's contract is the most poisonous because he is already 31 and would be 33-34 in his last year. Glen Davis is a good hustle player with a championship pedigree but IIRC had one of the lowest TS% for a heavy minute player in these last few years. From a talent and cap perspective, as the Orlando GM, I would want him off my roster. Hedo's contract, while having the most publicity, isn't actually that bad except for next year's impact. Based on feedback from Orlando's fan sites, Duhon isn't incredibly popular either, but his contract is tenable based on the size and brevity.

B. Young, unproven talent, and less cap relief, i.e. full blown tanking - The Rockets package is probably best here. A combination of Lowry/Montiejunas/Jones/White/Lamb and Martin's expiring makes sense if they plan to flip Lowry for the best draft pick available at the deadline.

In this scenario, they can keep on some of the bad contracts. I would only require Richardson and possibly Davis to be moved so young talent could develop. I could easily envision Hedo on a terrible, terrible team - so from that perspective, he wouldn't hinder any rebuilding efforts.

C. Something between A & B - to me, this is the worst scenario, because they would tread water and have a difficult time getting out of the mediocrity treadmill so to speak. A package of Teague/Horford from ATL or Curry/Lee from GSW keeps them solidly in the middle of the pack.

Trade candidates:

1. Brooklyn Nets - The Nets have to initiate a complex transaction here after their recent moves. The JJ, Wallace, and Teletovic acquisitions make it impossible to acquire Dwight without a S&T of some sort involving Brook Lopez and Kris Humphries. Media reports also suggested that they would need to find a 3rd team to take on Humphries. The return here for Orlando would be an overpaid, rebound-allergic 20 ppg scorer, the promising but iso-heavy Marshon Brooks, and 3 very late first rounders (2013, 2015, 2017). The 2017 would be the most valuable if a major player like Dwight ended up injured.

We all know that superstars dictate trade destinations as of late, so I would give Brooklyn the edge here. However, Billy King's recent moves seem to have pushed the roster very close to the absolute salary cap so it remains unclear if the logistics of the trade are possible. Reports also indicate that they are chasing Ersan Ilyasova, possibly meaning they are done negotiating with the Magic.

2. LA Lakers - After the Steve Nash acquisition, reports are that the Lakers are satisfied going into the season with the roster as is. The Lakers also have been reported to have questions regarding Howard's back and his willingness to sign an extension.

In my opinion this makes perfect sense and they should absolutely see what they have before making any moves. They become a much more likely trade partner at the trade deadline because of their desire for cap relief. Giving up two near-max players in Bynum and Gasol would make sense if they could swing a trade for a return like Scola/Howard or even Ryan Anderson/Howard. They would then only have to deal with the max-max and max contracts of Kobe and Dwight.

If Dwight is on the Orlando roster going into the season, this is his most likely destination. However, they would not be getting any picks from the Lakers now that the Nash trade has been consummated. A third party like the Rockets could be used for picks as well (although I am hoping we do not blindly trade for Gasol with no plan in place).

3. Our team - This is well documented on Clutchfans and I'm sure you guys are as tired as me of watching the rumor mill. However, it is true that we have a smorgasbord of assets (players and the Dallas pick). Unfortunately, none of the GMs around the league value our assets quite like this message board does or we would have had a done deal. Despite Lamb's value (should have been picked around 8), White's interesting tool-set, several of our draft picks had little hype before the last few years.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/221985/The_NBA_Draft_2012_Olympics_And_Intangibles

RSCI, a composite index of high school rankings, had Lamb at 78th(!!), White at 31st, and Jones at 11th. In my opinion this shows a certain level of growth in skill that is highly desirable - Lamb and White have yet to reach a ceiling and are still developing.

However, a highly touted and hyped prospect in my opinion is more appealing in a blockbuster trade simply for the name recognition. Players like Austin Rivers (Rank 2) and Andre Drummond (Rank 2) and Harrison Barnes (Rank 1) would work better for this purpose. Obviously a draft day trade with the Kings or the Raptors would have gotten it done and helped us out in this department.

4. Team X - Atlanta and Golden State fall into this category. Atlanta seems like a more likely trade partner with its pick availability (they now have our pick from the T-Will trade). It's unclear how much the Magic GM likes Horford and Teague, but in my opinion Horford is best suited for a power forward role and Teague becomes an RFA next season. Horford at $12MM per for the next 4 years is also quite a gamble based on his health issues last season. Houston's variety of players diversifies risk a little.

4 people like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks for the jinx.

Sincerely,

Daryl

3. conquistador#11

not this crap again.

4. ILoveTheRockets

Dwight will be in Dallas Uni before it's all said and done.

5. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Give it a rest. It's over. The same rockets you see now will be the ones you see on opening night.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Dwight Howard was like Quick sand...the Rockets thought they could get him...but in the end got stuck...so far this entire offseason...It times to look for that lifeline and get out of the sand pit...its over...Dwight is going to LA, Nets or ATL...

7. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

I think we had the best package but it's kind of hard to say. It seems like teams are not waiting for the Howard situation to settle. I see (as crazy as it sounds) his trade value dropping a bit for him. I don't think the Magic will get robbed but this may bring other teams back in the mist. Right now I think the Lakers having the best package and shot at him now

8. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Glad to see intelligent responses to my post.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

at this point, what the hell does it matter? dwight playing with a team of rookies and 2nd year players is not gonna get it done. Plus, his back scares the hell out of me. Plus, another couple of weeks of drama in my life will send me to the emergency room.

10. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

thanks for breaking it down OP. I assumed we were the best candidate for Dwight after Nash was sent to the Lakers, and Joe Johnson was sent to the nets.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Morey is the only GM who could still lose in a scenario where he is the only GM who can get a Superstar.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Well, no. After trying to sign two replacements it is quite unlikely Lowry can possibly be here 11/1. Or Martin. Somehow they're both traded.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Bynum then game-over IMHO.

What is Oh!lando's goal at the end of the trade? C'mon, just what is it? If it's completely starting over they have DM the GM's cell #. If it's to placate an agent er, the player then fuggeddabouddit. If it's something else then, ok, what is it?

15. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I've been sitting here thinking the same thing for the past few days since Dwight went public and said he would only re-sign with the Nets. We've made it very public that we would trade for him regardless of him signing an extension. Yet, I haven't heard one peep about us trying to trade for him since he made it clear he actually wanted to leave Orlando earlier this week.

I thought it was the oddest thing that Morey, very publicly, did everything in his power to trade for Dwight before the Magic were willing to trade him. Now that they actually are willing to trade him, haven't heard a thing. Very odd to me.

16. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Who's putting the battery pack in these Dwight threads??? The guy was NEVER coming here. It's almost painful reading these type of threads at this point

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Lakers give up Bynum . . .. everyone else is out of the running
    Lakers are in WIN NOW Mode
    Kobe + Nash + Howard
    would be hard to beat
    No matter what you put around them . . .

Rocket River

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think the Lakers should give up Bynum, especially since they are paying all that money to Nash, they are in win now mode.

Teams that could land Howard:

1) Lakers
    2) Clippers
    3) Rockets
    4) Atlanta

I think the Clippers will stay out of it unless Howard changes his mind and is willing to sign an extension. Atlanta would be hard pressed to give up Horford with no extension from Howard (and I think they'd still need to throw in more).

Rockets will win out if the Lakers are stupid. That is the only way.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Orlando just reached a three year contract agreement with Jameer Nelson, so they don't need Lowry. Not that we could afford to trade him, anyway, and have Machado throwing entry passes to Dwight.

This leaves the best possible package we can offer as Martin, Parsons, Patterson and DMo, which is probably not enough to generate any interest from Orlando.

20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Lakers have reportedly said that they want to roll with their current team now that Nash is in control.

Even before that, LA wasn't letting Bynum ago if Howard did not sign an extension, which does not look likely for the Shaq's Shadow reason and Kobe deferral refusal