1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are so lucky to have Jalen Green on this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LosPollosHermanos, Oct 31, 2021.

1. 34to11

34to11 Member

Yeah, far too many rookie-like ups and downs for a player of his age and experience.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Right but I still would set concrete goals for a season.

That way the coach is held accountable at least.

Might just be a TO number or setting goals for team Defense.

Teams like Minny can take all their time to develop, there is a reason LA has to be perfect virtually every reason, the standard is substantially higher. Houston should be somewhere at the top.

clos4life, DaDakota and palmsnbananas like this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

That floater as well

Bobbythegreat and D-rock like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

ApacheWarrior and 34to11 like this.
  5. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The thing I take comfort in is that Green's "up" and "down" games don't correspond to good or bad teams. It's not like he's showing out against the worst teams we're playing and then disappearing against the best teams. His two best games have occurred against good competition, the Mavs and Lakers, while some of his less than stellar games have happened against worse teams.

Right now, he relies really heavily on his three pointer getting him going. It's like seeing one or two fall catapults the rest of his repertoire. Something I'm sure will come with time is figuring out how to get going with simpler shots - a mid range basket, getting to the line, etc. He's just so quick and athletic that it's really incredible how wide his repertoire is, and I expect it will only grow. Out of all the rookies I've seen play this season, there's just no question to me that Green is far and away the most exciting and dynamic of the bunch.

Dobbizzle, D-rock, Emtenndo and 3 others like this.
  6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i think it's his confidence, the two games where he was hot from 3 were the game he knocked down his first 3

DaDakota likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Other teams are now or will be soon......GREEN WITH ENVY!

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

In the Tate thread, @J.R. posted an excerpt from the Athletic and Kelly Iko about Tate's great defense in last night's game. I take the Athletic, but often forget to read it (got a lot going on right now). Anyway, Iko saw a lot of good to go along with the things Jalen needs to work on, like turnovers. Here's what he had to say about Green:

• If we haven’t said this enough, Jalen Green is going to be just fine. You guys can relax! Green has never been a ball-dominant type, preferring to let the flow of the game dictate his approach, but he had a point to prove after his previous showing. Green came out aggressive, looking to attack whenever the ball ended up in his hands. He was decisive early, shown by his 30.5 usage rate in the first quarter.

“I just didn’t like how I came out and how we played as a team in the first game,” Green said. “I feel like we couldn’t (have) done a lot better on offense just because they’re all vets, I feel like we’re young and we got a lot of quickness. So I think we played to our strengths.”

Twitter exploded following Green’s insane back-to-back triples which gave Houston life when it looked like they were already headed to their sixth loss of the season, but I thought he picked his spots well. He finished with seven turnovers, but his pick-and-roll game is looking more polished, a huge plus. Green struggled with defensive approaches like this during summer league and even during the preseason. The good thing about seeing these things early is it gives you ample time to learn, adjust and attack differently.

Green still finished with 24 points on just 15 shots. By the time his usage is to a point where he’s taking 22-plus shots, expect nightly flirting with 30 points. And that’s before you talk about maintaining the efficiency he’s done on his high-scoring games this season. The sky is the limit for the rookie.

https://theathletic.com/2931735/202...rockets-were-fearless-against-veteran-lakers/

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I would like this post 100 times if I could.

Dobbizzle and Deckard like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That made me laugh. I love Sengun but he doesn't have the upside Green has.

34to11 likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We don't. You are right. A week ago many were saying Sengun.

That's why we don't let 2 week sample sizes determine careers.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't get this comment. The guy is 19. How much experience can he have going against the best players in the world?

14. 34to11

34to11 Member

[​IMG]

15. kiwirocketsfan

Two plays in the two Lakers games give me real encouragement.

Obviously the rainbow 3 over AD was one, the other in the first game was when AD was switched into Green and Green blew by him for a lay-up.

Both great plays vs one of the best defenders in the NBA which show the scope of his skills.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'll add that I don't think some of those turnovers were his fault. He had one zip pass to Sengun that he just didn't catch, but was the right pass at the right moment and would have been a gimme basket if Sengun just caught it (which was thrown right at him). There were two, maybe three of those out of the 7 TOs that I think are less on him than a teammate not making the grab.

34to11 and Deckard like this.
  17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Jalen we got your back. I know the past 2 weeks have been nonstop talk about Eric Gordon and a 2027 first round pick, but we got your back bro. You are the chosen one.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is 100% this, at some point the player has to feel they belong, and then they can excel - confidence is a HUGE factor.

Look at KPJ it is pretty clear he has figured it out that his skills can translate and he can play well, Green seems to be in the same boat - both have had something go off in their own mind that shows them they can compete and at a high level.

DD

vator and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. Le$$

Le$$ Member

With what team they have he is probably the only "Gem" they have moving forward. But he could play out his rookie contract and belt. If i was him i would move to LA. They will probably take him from Houston once the Lebron and Davis thing plays out. Fanbase really dont know who this team will be or if some of these players pan out or resign.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not necessarily think they gave up on him in Cleveland because he was not talented but he forced their hand with a displinary problem.