1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are at a crossroads between rebulding and getting an all star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sidarma, Jun 28, 2012.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm not blaming that on morey. my problem with the direction of the franchise over the last few years is far less with morey than it is with les.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Except without the losing season and more draft picks. I'd much rather watch a team in playoff contention all year than watch the Kings. Plus, the last few days on the BBS wouldn't have been as fun. :)

3. MadMax

felt like a losing season to me, honestly. another year of not making the playoffs in a league where everyone else does. i realize technically we weren't a "losing team" because we won 34 of the 66 games we played...but in a 66 game lockout-shortened season, i would have gladly traded 15 of those wins for more ping pong balls. i HATE the irrelevance and mediocrity associated with this franchise that i love. lukewarm is killing interest.

but i'm pumped about the possibilities tonight...and i'm thrilled with what they've done so far.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hopefully, we are going all-in on Howard and if that doesn't work, we find a way to use our multiple picks to get in the top 10, draft someone we can start a foundation with and go from there.

Really, I'm fine with either one of those options. Either get Howard and go for it this year or start the rebuilding process.

And I can't emphasize this enough - rebuilding is NOT the same as tanking.

5. monster

monster Member

I'm glad Morey has been working his butt off to try and get a superstar. He tried for Bosh, tried for Carmelo, not trying for Howard and maybe another. Dude can't force players to come here...they only pick one team and the rest miss out.

Let's wait until after the draft before we start pouting.

6. MadMax

the Astros oldest player right now is Wandy...second oldest is Abad. They're losing games because they're young...BECAUSE THEY'RE REBUILDING. Call it whatever you want to call it.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Different strokes and what not. I just don't see how that was possible for last year. And if we had tanked, we're not getting Howard for the #5 pick only, so that option would be out the window already. As it stands, I got to spend an entire basketball season watching my team compete and now we have a chance to possibly have two picks in the top 10 or obtaining the best center in the league. I'm also guessing Morey wouldn't be nearly as confident in keeping Howard if we were coming off a 15-win season.

8. WNBA

WNBA Member

if tank, lose games.
    if win now, improve results.

Rockets are both, in win now mode but lose games.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fully agreed.

I just don't want the Gasol/Rudy Gay/Josh Smith in between option.

10. MadMax

totally different strokes. not saying i'm right. just that the NBA is so broken up into 2 seasons (playoffs and regular season)....a regular season loss on any given night, particularly for a team that i don't feel is built for a meaningful run, doesn't kill me. missing the playoffs 3 straight years for THIS FRANCHISE IN PARTICULAR GIVEN ITS HISTORY...kills me. missing the playoffs for as many times as we have since i was 21 years old kills me given the legacy of this franchise. because of that, i was totally willing to live with a super sucky year...and particularly so in a lockout shortened year. I'd still go to games, drink beer and gawk at the power dancers.

Clutch's article at the beginning of the year saying that this is the year to suck was EXACTLY where I was. And I think had they moved off some veteran guys and not signed Dalembert, they absolutely could have done that.

But that's history...looking forward to them piecing something together now.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This.

When you have no direction (like being stuck as a .500 team year after year) and won't acknowledge that, you are worse of than any lottery team. All this team has done is swap mediocre talent for mediocre talent while other teams have realized it was time to rebuild and reload and are now contenders.

I have a great feeling that someting very good is about to happen. I'll be happy either way as long as it is a strong commitment in one direction or the other from Rockets managment.

12. MrJason

MrJason Member

Pro tankers - Would you want to be in Charlotte or Sacramento's shoes with yearly bottom 5 lotto picks and still suck?

Or

Would you fight for the playoffs every year and collect assets that put you in a position to trade for a top 5 pick (Sac) or even the best center in the league?

I think I'd rather let Morey take control and NOT tank.

13. RockStrosTex

RockStrosTex Member

BILL ****ING MURRAY?!

14. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Howard or no Howard it's all good

It really doesn't matter if the Rockets get Dwight Howard or not. Either way the Rockets will be a lot better next year. This draft is considered extremely deep.

If the Rockets stand pat and have three first round draft picks, chances are we will get a gem in one of them. Not necessarily an All-Star but the Rockets should end up with a good starter and two key role players at the least. Could end up with an All-Star, role player and a dud, or two starters and role player ... etc. The value is relatively the same.

The result would be the same too. A Rockets team that is better next year and for years to come. The Rockets have managed to stockpile 1st round picks in a ridiculously deep draft.

What it means is if that nets them the best center in the game then the Rockets made a big move. If it nets them three 1st round picks the Rockets have improved by a good margin. If they trade two of the picks for a higher pick then it nets them a top draft pick and another 1st rounder which would make them much improved either way.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Seriously. Come on Clutch Crew. Lock the thread starting privileges.

16. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

You mean the Vipers will be a whole lot better next year?

17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I wish 6 stars was possible.

19. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Tonight was the scenario that i feared most .......