1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are at a crossroads between rebulding and getting an all star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sidarma, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Jeebus with the rate Murray's going now ....... we might not even have 10 players.

Hes dealing and wheeling every tradeable assests :( for another one .....
    If we fail at attracting DH12 and other lucrative free agents out there .... we might as well rebuild from scratch with the picks we have ....

With Murray you never know whats going to happen but with the way he treats his players ...... its no wonder no one i mean no oneeeeee wants to come here and play unless they are at the twilight of the career or a native of the city. :(

Only Scola the only player still around when he got the job ....

With Murray there will always be excitement and double edge sword about how wizardly he can be but also pushes away good free agents about wanting to come here ......

With that said as long Murray still the GM, we will always be a middle of the pack team, the best team that doesnt make the playoffs = purgatory 14-18 pick every year. Giving its fans false hopes every year and to repeat the cycle over and over again .... :(

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Why the :( face ?

Morey has been busting his arse trying to make moves while being constrained by an owner who refuses to rebuild the easy way.

Morey is doing a fantastic job, every fan wishes they had a front office as agressive.

3. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

you're right. :(

4. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

People want us to tank and be champions at the same time. Smh

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cJ5iKRpE41E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

He treats players the same as they are treated by every NBA team.Role players are assets to every GM and used as bargaining chips in a never ending quest for better players,just how it is.

So many of you act like Murraye is making up his own rules as he goes ,he is just doing his job.

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

No! People want to see a direction. The last couple of years we were stuck in mdiocricy, taking neither a step forward nor back.

I hate tanking... But I hate standing still even more. We don't get superstars in FA so we have to find another way to build this team. Now we have 3 first round picks and some trade able assets... That's pretty good for rebuilding without tanking. So I am excited - either we get a star, or we get lots of young talent. So the next couple of hours should be the most exciting of the last years. I just hope this team is going somewhere again...

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think this is a bit premature, let's wait to see what happens tonight, he clearly has a plan he is executing.

Wait until it is done and then judge it.

DD

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is all good news except your conclusion that this strategy will necessarily put us at 14-18. I'm not among the "I want to sex Morey" clan here...but I'm happy with the push to move up in this deep draft...and I'm thrilled with the idea that the franchise is going all out to acquire a top 10 talent in the league, which is necessary to win a championship.

10. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

He traded two backups so far this offseason. We've actually brought in more players and picks than players and picks sent out. Your logic seems a bit faulty.

Close. He's wheeling and dealing every available asset for upgrades, be it an all-star player or a player with the potential to become one. How is that a bad thing? It's called upgrading the roster. It's what he's paid to do and it's what I'm glad he's doing.

I'm glad that you're omniscient enough that you know that no one, and you mean no one wants to come to Houston to play. I wish I had that power.

Instead, I have to look at the few examples of players we've seen over the last 4 years that don't want to join a shell of a team (no Yao, no McGrady, no all-stars). I see that we miss out on free agents because he have lacked the money to offer them. I see that we've missed out on tradeable players because we didn't yet have the assets to trade for them that were deemed better than the team that won the trade.

So which unrestricted free agent that we've had the most money to offer and have actively pursued did not sign with us? Seems like that's the only way we non-omniscient folks can know whether someone wants to play here or not.

So this isn't a thread about being at a crossroads between rebuilding and getting an all-star. It's a thread designed to bash our GM. Well why didn't you title it such?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ditto. It finally feels like we are really going for it.

DD

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Man, I'm so tired of people complaining that players are being treated like assets. Guess what? We are all assets. In our jobs (that pay far less for most of us) if we don't perform we get fired. At least NBA players have guaranteed contracts.

Look, I'm not saying that everything is perfect, but you gotta admit, to be one of the best 450 players in the world is pretty cool. Being treated like an asset should be the least of worries. If players are not tough enough to handle it I'm sorry but that's the business. And bottomline, it is a business. Otherwise, you can always go play in a rec league just for the love of it.

13. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

Bill Murray is not the GM of the rockets.

14. MadMax

doesn't matter wht you think about it...matters what NBA players think about it. NBA players who grew up being the best player on their respective teams their entire lives. Who were coddled. Many of whom you and I would both call divas. These are the guys you're trying to appeal to.

15. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

The rockets have to do something, another season of finishing with pick 14 would kill us fans who follow the team so close.

If we don't get Dwight and have a heap of rooks I'll be excited to watch the team, if we get Dwight I'll be excited as well, either way this team becomes more relevant either way and I'm happy money is trying all he can

16. smr6

smr6 Member

I don't care which way we go. Either way people need to realize the amazing job that Morey has done to even put us in position to do one or the other rather than just remain as we were.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

As well as the team for not tanking last year and remaining in playoff contention until the end. Dalembert and Chase may not have been as attractive to some teams if they were on a 15-win team.

18. MadMax

we'd already have a higher pick we moved Chase and Sam for had we tanked. it would already be in hand instead of hoping to do what we're doing right now. you likely would have never acquired dalembert to begin with.

19. smr6

smr6 Member

Amen.

20. smr6

smr6 Member

Point of the matter is Morey is not allowed to tank. He has to work with what he has then. I would feel pretty confident in saying that most other GM's wouldn't have been able to pull off what Morey has this offseason given the circumstances he has to meet from Les Alexander.