1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WC First Round] (2)LA Clippers vs. (7)Dallas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 14, 2020.

?

(2)LA Clippers vs. (7)Dallas

Poll closed Aug 17, 2020.
  1. Clippers in 4

5.6%
  2. Clippers in 5

16.7%
  3. Clippers in 6

38.9%
  4. Clippers in 7

11.1%
  5. Mavs in 7

16.7%
  6. Mavs in 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mavs in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Mavs in 4

11.1%
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And your post reeks of Luka bias.

If his career ended today I'm sure he'd be a HOFamer, that's not really saying too much, but where do you think he'd rank among the greats? Really? Be honest here.

Do you think if his career ended today he'd be ranked over Lebron, Jordan? Over Hakeem? Over Duncan? Curry? Durant? Bird? Harden? Just really? Where do you think he would be ranked?

People want to compare him to those guys, fair, then we can do that and we can see that he doesn't compare. He just doesn't. He has a lot more to do to be one of those guys so when people compare him to those guys I'm going to lay down the reality of the situation.

"He will get there eventually" isn't an argument for me. You don't know that. You have no idea how the rest of his career will play out. People thought Oden would be the next Bill Simmons and Hill would be a transcendant superstar. It didn't happen.

Derrick Rose was tearing through the league, youngest MVP, where you placing Rose at right now on your all-time list?

Penny was a amazing player but again...where is he on your all-time list?

Jordan, Lebron, they not known for those shots. They are known for their MVPs, for their championships, for their accolades...which Luka doesn't have yet. Kawhi's shot was in the next round, not the first shot.

I don't care about Dame honestly, a great fun player for this era but no one is going to say "Yeah that man Dame in the top 10 PG of all time."

I don't understand why it's so crazy to say that a player has to do a bit more before all the "BEST EVER" talk.

s3ts likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, best example of no one cares about the first round is Rockets very own, Tracy McGrady.

Tracy's inability to make past the first round completely destroyed his legacy...and Tmac played well in the first round, he's had great games in the first round...no one cares about that though. It's simply known that he was a loser come playoff time and that's his legacy.

We don't even know how the rest of this series ends and people are already predicting multiple rings and trophies for Luka.

s3ts likes this.
  3. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Lol no Luka bias at all. Although I'm his fan, I'm trying to be as objective as possible. Problem is, you are projecting what others say about Luka on me:

If Luka's career ended today, he would probably be ranked outside of Top 100 NBA players. If you think I would currently rank him over anyone you mentioned just because I'm his fan, you are sorely mistaken. However, I would rank him over anyone but Magic if compared by same age.

People act like fans of Luka compare him to greatest players ever. No, they are comparing him to greatest players at age 21, for god's sake. And frankly, there's no comparison other than Magic, FMVP at age 20.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But you're the 2nd person to attack my post when all I said was "There's no way it's one of the greatest playoff performances ever in the first round."

Which is something I was replying to which was said right after he hit the shot. There is a guy right above there that just said Luka is the best player ever. There is definitely an overreaction to what he's done.

And you said he has very little to prove, that I disagree with. Lebron has little to prove. Curry has little to prove. Luka still has a lot left to prove and I'm sure he'd even tell you that.

Harden still has a lot left to prove. Giannis still has a lot left to prove. Guys who have not made it to the finals (Harden went there as a complimentary player) have a lot to prove. If Harden's career ended today he'd still be top 5 SG of all time...but he didn't win a ring, that will always hurt his legacy (and hopefully he can fix that this season...) but Luka has a ton more left to prove.

Sure he's won in Euroleague but we know an NBA title and NBA accolades are worth more and are more prestigious. That's just how it is right now. It's like Messi isn't coming to America the win MLS titles and Luka didn't stay in Europe to win Euroleague titles.

s3ts likes this.
  5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

He has very little to prove individually is what I said. As in, proving how accomplished he is. Not on a team level obviously. Either you take things out of context to prove your point, or put words in my mouth. Relax.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Messi is an incredible individual player but not the best leader and he didn't just go to Europe.

He lived in Barcelona since he was 12 or 13 of age.

Barca paid to cure his hormonal imbalance.

Compared to a Bball player, it's more like Duncan's journey from the Virgin Islands or Al Horford's.

Messi also didn't win the Champions League many times and hasn't won 1 World Cup.

Comparison: Dirk. Barkley.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm pretty relaxed? I feel like you took my entire post out of context as if I said anything bad about him. All I said was that he still has a lot left to prove and no one really cares about the first round in the large scheme of things.

Individually, he still has a lot to prove. Everyone knows he can play and he has the potential to be an all-time great but he still has to go out there and prove that. Win scoring titles, get on all-nba teams, win MVPs, and have successful playoff runs...and all that is tied into team play as well.

If the Mavs didn't make the playoffs no one would be saying these thing about the Luka. Luka could average 40-10-10 for the rest of his career but if he doesn't get past the first round, it would hurt his legacy.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You are right but I only mean in terms of the prestige of the leagues.

The MLS doesn't have the prestige of EPL or La Liga.

Euroleague doesn't have the prestige of the NBA. I think one day it will grow in prestige but we might be a decade from that or so. But I was just saying that Luka winning there is good, it's an accomplishment...but no one is going to hold those accomplishments over NBA ones.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ah sorry, he did win the CL 3 or 4 times but he wasn't the No. 1 every time.

Longer time ago.

For the purpose of reality, you probably should have said.

He may have won the Argentine national title or South American CL Copa Libertadores instead of the MLS as he never played in the US.

However, European titles or WC are worth more.

#789 daywalker02, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    JayGoogle likes this.
  10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Wha? What does YOUR posting history have to do with what Harrell said or thought???

You might check your guns and not go off the rocker before you call out others like that when you have no clue at all who they were even talking about....because, well, that might make you a pathetic......

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Got it. So, for the record, you're saying that if Doncic had told Harrell to get his black ass off the court, you and everyone else would have been just totally fine with that, in the current climate??? Because, it's just hooping Bro, not Church, right?

Perhaps it would help if you provided a list of the specific locations and situations where it was indeed just fine to play the race card. Because apparently, unbeknowst to many, there are indeed places where it's just fine?

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would I speak for everyone else?

For myself, I love some ratchet trash talk in the playoffs. If Luka wants to drill a pull-up three and call his defender a black b*stard ala Larry Bird, let’s go. If black dudes in a black sport call white guys “White Boi!” in an NBA playoff game, I’m not going to be butthurt about it. :cool: In fact, I’d prefer it.

How about I provide the 1 and only situation that matters in this forum, chump?

NBA Playoff basketball!!! :D

YOLO likes this.
  13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

MY posting history is the evidence that disproves YOUR insinuation that I say racist comments.

I am dumbfounded that you've already forgotten your original comment. I have never felt this embarrassed for someone in a long, long time.

Boy you really double screwed the pooch with this one didn't you.

Imagine coming back to quote me just to call me pathetic... yet... you've just tarnished yourself with that brush for the entire Clutchfans community to see.

And with that. I'm out bigfraud. Welcome to the block party. It's an illustrious list.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yep, which is strange, because somehow that makes me a pathetic piece of *****. Shows just how divisive and confrontational any discussion is these days. You AGREE with someone, and still end up getting called names.
    [​IMG]

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I didn't say a thing about YOU. The comment was about Harrell. Which was pretty obvious.

But, [​IMG] you probably made the right choice.

I am dumbfounded that you don't get that...everyone else did. So, the only one here who has tarnished themselves is...you. Are you usually this easily triggered, so that when someone AGREES WITH YOU, you still jump the shark and call them out? Newsflash...it isn't always about you. Maybe read people's comments a little more carefully before jumping all over them on something they didn't even do.

And yet you still double down with name calling. When others pointed out we were in agreement. Clearly, still triggered, even much later.

Boy, you really double screwed the pooch on this one, didn't you? Imagine coming back to double down on your own misunderstanding of something, and continue to call someone else names when you're the one who doesn't get it, and over something that was never about you to begin with.

Who's the fraud here, then, hmmmm? I'm not the one who got triggered over something not even directed at me, called someone out over it, then doubled down on it. That's you, my friend.

#795 BigDog63, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Because, especially now, these are national issues. It isn't just about basketball. All the players get that. Are all the names on the jerseys just about basketball? Of course not...if it were just about basketball, they'd just have their names, as usual. That's pretty much what makes this a bigger deal. It detracts from the message they're trying to convey.

I'm glad to hear that you seem to be consistent in your perspective (which is pretty uncommon, so kudos on that), but do you think that's the case nationally? Anyone who doesn't think Luca would have gotten a LOT of press if he'd said something similar to Harrell is very mistaken, I think. You seem to be advocating it's all overdone..in which case we're in agreement. What I, and I suspect others, were pointing out is that there often is a double standard here. Other than that, I didn't think it was a big deal. About a 0.5 on the triggerometer. I thought the NBA did a good job handling it, Harrell apologized, which I would agree with you normally shouldn't have even been necessary but was the right move, and it's a done deal. I don't have an issue with Harrell, I do think the double standard should get pointed out, and it was...and the NBA addressed it.

Do I also wish we could just focus on that, and ignore all the other stuff? Absolutely!

What is it with the name calling lately anyway? Been in the political threads for years, but seems to be a rash of it in this thread.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

no KP again tonight

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

What playoff records has he shattered? From your posts, you're acting like he's the best basketball player in the history of basketball, when all he's done is be the youngest player to get a 40+ point triple double, and had a record number of points for a playoff debut. I don't care for your little spat with @JayGoogle, but you're severely overhyping Doncic after just 4 playoff games.

He's got very little to prove in that we know he's one of the best basketball players in the NBA. But is he trying to be in the conversation for GOAT? Top 10 NBA all-time? If so, he definitely has a lot more to prove than just a spectacular 2 seasons, thus far.

With all that said, I hope he continues to be great. Mavs will need that greatness, since Porzingis is out for game 5.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

They keep showing these commercials for that Kia nightfall and I’m starting to dig it.