1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

WC: China vs Algeria 08/30

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Aug 30, 2002.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

And those guys are elite or top notch centers. You're saying that Ming's numbers are overinflated because he put up comparable numbers to top centers!? And don't get sucked into the "Cato could put up those type of numbers", a certain someone said the same thing about Shawn Bradley, and look at my signature.

2. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Robinson and Vlade aren't playing on a team of scrubs against a team of scrubs.

Ming had a great game. I think he's going to be a good or great player. I just think people who think it'll happen immediately are overly optimistic.

4. RocksMillenium

Well how do you explain Ming's performances against the U.S. and Germany? Those teams definitely aren't scrubs and he averaged 14.5 ppg and 8 rpg and about 4 bpg. That's not bad for a rookie. You can't just disregard his numbers saying that Cato could put those numbers up against those teams because that's just wrong. Cato wasn't even putting those numbers up in college why would he suddenly put them up now? And why wasn't Bradley putting up similar numbers then Ming against similar teams? So it's not right to blow off his stats by saying that anybody can do it, or those numbers are overrated because he's playing on a bad team against bad teams. While it's unrealistic for people to assume he'll immediately dominate in the NBA, it's also wrong for people to say that Cato could put up the numbers that Ming put up in international play.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

So what you're saying is that Ming should do pretty well against NBA teams that have sub-par centers? The way I see it, that's about 24 or 25 teams. If he's able to just hold his own against 75% of the centers in the league, that's a HUGE upgrade over anyone the Rockets have had in the center position in the last few years.

On a different note, I recommend windandsea for cc.net user of the month! Keep those pictures and reports coming!

6. WinkFan

The question I replied to was what players could put up similar numbers. As for the Cato, I didn't say 38 points, I said a double double. If he can get 7 and 7 in the NBA, he should be able to get 10 and 10 against Algeria. There's a bit of a difference between them and teams like Yugoslavia or Germany. I criticize Cato as much as anyone, but he doesn't totally suck.

7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Most of Cato's points come from alley-oops, or some kind of open shot. If Cato was the best player, he would get more respect and not get the easy shots. Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

8. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Yao does look a little stronger than i suspected don't cha think?

9. RocksMillenium

My problem is you're assuming he would automatically put up monster numbers against Algeria. Bradley's numbers went DOWN in international play compared to the NBA. And again you said there's a big difference between them and Yugoslavia and Germany. He had 16 points and 5 rebounds against Germany which isn't bad at all. He also had a double-double against the United States which is pretty good. But what's the point in saying Cato could get a double-double against Algeria. If his team was in trouble could Cato carry his team past Algeria like Ming did? I don't think so. That's not to say Cato sucks, he is talented, but Ming almost went off for 40 points and carried his team to a victory against Algeria. Cato couldn't do that.

#129 RocksMillenium, Aug 31, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2002
  10. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

I understand Winkfan that you are just trying to calm the Ming hysteria because you are worried that everyone here is putting too much emphasis on him as the Rocket saviour. I understand because I feel the same way when I here all this talk about rocket championships and stuff before he has even donned a Rocks uniform.

But you have to admit. At his age and with his background as an international, he is the best player ever at 21. He looks freaking great and none of those players you mentioned were as good at the age of 21. We will see next year how much he can help us, but for now let us bask in his glory.

11. RocksMillenium

I don't think Rockets fans are getting anymore excited about Ming then any other top draft pick. People were getting this excited about Griffin, the place was definitely rocking. There were probably MORE people excited when we got Francis then when we got Ming. I just get the feeling that there are people who are ready to shoot down Ming and disregard his numbers because he is a draft pick that happened to play in another country. If Ming had played at UConn the people who are saying anybody could have gotten those numbers and are trying to "calm the hysteria" would probably be as excited as anyone. For example, replace Yao Ming with Eddie Griffin. Now if Griffin was averaging 27 ppg, 8.5 rpg and 4.5 bpg in this tournament people would be proclaiming him the franchise player and a future All-Star. But because it's Ming and he played overseas instead of college his numbers were achieved against scrubs or David Robinson and Vlade Divac put up numbers similar to Ming's numbers are tainted somehow. Heck, Vlade Divac got dismantled by SPAIN of all teams Friday.

#131 RocksMillenium, Aug 31, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2002
  12. WinkFan

exactly.

13. RocksMillenium

People were calling for championships for the Rockets when we got Francis and Griffin. I think people are misunderstanding the Rockets fans excitement and think it's "Ming hysteria". Fans aren't considering this team to be a dangerous team because of Ming. They are considering this team to be a dangerous team because of Ming, Griffin, Francis, Mobley, Mo, KT, etc., etc. How fun would this be if fans didn't get excited?

14. LeGrouper

Hey, I am Fu&*ing excited. I cannot wait for the season. And I am glad to hear you mention some of the other Rockets in your plan for a championship. But I just think we ought to know that we are sitting on the dark horse and we have to ride it through the arch. We are not on the Golden Chariot.

15. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Winkfan,

If Yao Ming at the age of 21 can put up the kind of numbers that Divac, Campbell, and Mutombo (defensively) do, then I'd say we have one hell of a pick on our hands.

Personally, I think he can do better, because he has 6 inches on those guys and can block shots and shoot free throws better than they can. However, comparing Ming as a rookie to those guys is more complimentary than it is downplaying his performance.

Secondly, it's remarkable to see the efficiency in which Yao has been getting his points. His FG % has been extremely high in this international competition. How often do you see a very good player on a SCRUB team with a high FG %? Typically these guys get a bunch of touches and miss a ton of shots. However, Ming, being the only threat on the Chinese team, still manages to make a significant majority of his shots, with double and triple teams.

Now imagine him being on a team with Francis, Mobley, Griffin, and outside shooters who have to be reckoned with. Francis and Mobley often have to command double teams on their own, do you think NBA defenses will be able to constantly double team Ming?

One reason that scrub centers like Bradley put up worse #s in international competition is because he is playing on a worse team than in the NBA. In the NBA, he gets lost in the shuffle and gets a lot of easy points and offensive rebounds because of his good teammates who get most of the double teams. However, Yao has shown the ability to put up monster numbers without any kind of help from his teammates at all. I guarantee that his numbers will be much better in a system in which he is able to feed off of his teammates.

16. WinkFan

People were more excited about Francis. And look at how a lot of people rip him now. I just don't want to see "Eddie sucks" and "Ming sucks" and "fire Rudy" in a year if we don't turn it around immediatley.

17. LeGrouper

I agree with you Red Chocolate on the idea that Ming has a more difficult time putting up numbers with a crap team. Some people here are saying that he has inflated numbers because he is the only scoring option. That is total crap. Teams design their defense to stop him, and that's it. They spend their prepation for the China game on how to stop Yao. That is not an advantage. He is going to be a beast with Steve and Mobes.

18. WinkFan

I never said Cato could get numbers anywhere near Ming's

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I think you should also be blamed to have stirred up the Ming hysteria...*joking* :p :D ;)

20. LeGrouper

My point is that No player at 21 should be able to generate the idea that a championship is on the horizon. IF he brings it to us, great. But even though I think he is that good, I still think he needs some experience before the W's rack up.