1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WC: China vs Algeria 08/30

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Aug 30, 2002.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yao Ming hit 12 of 15 shots and 14 of 17 free throws. That is just incredible efficiency! Plus he did it in a close game.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't know how many shots the US players had, but Ming didn't have many. Under 20, I think. He had a bunch of FT's, though. I closed the stat thing, so I forgot all the stats.

3. aznlincolnpark

Wow!!!! tune in tomorrow on TNT on china vs usa :D

thanks guyz for the update

4. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

*I am still waiting to see what Marty Burns has to say about Yao's performance tonight since he was so opinionated about last night's game. Here is another article from his co-worker at CNNSI.com though.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2002/08/30/china_algeria_ap/

Yao dominates as China tops Algeria

Posted: Friday August 30, 2002 11:23 PM

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Yao Ming dominated inside with 38 points, 13 rebounds and eight blocked shots to lead China to a 96-82 victory over Algeria on Friday night in the opening round of the World Championships.

The 7-foot-5 Yao, taken No. 1 in the NBA draft by the Houston Rockets, was no match for Algeria.

Nadjim Ouali drew the assignment at the start to cover Yao, giving away nine inches. He fouled out with 3:22 left in the first half and no other player had any success in trying to stop Yao.

Yao was 12-for-15 from the field -- almost everything either a layup or dunk -- and finished 14-for-17 from the free-throw line as Algeria could do nothing but foul him when he got the ball down low.

Yao had 10 points in the first quarter as China looked ready for a blowout, taking a 28-10 lead. It scored the first basket of the second quarter for its largest lead of the game, but Algeria (0-2) took advantage when Yao went to the bench to go on a 13-0 run to get within 30-23. Yao returned, but China couldn't put Algeria away even with the big man dominating inside.

A three-point play by Farid Belhimeur gave Algeria its only lead, 71-69 with 8:24 left. Yao started a 7-0 run with a basket down low and Algeria never threatened the lead again.

Li Nan added 14 points for China, which had to win or face not moving on to the second round as its only remaining first-round game is against the United States on Saturday.

Milcud Doubal had 24 points for Algeria, which lost to the United States by 50 in its opening-round game.

5. cujo

cujo Member

Alot of people will say Algeria is an inferior team and that is why Ming had great stats. Besides Shaq, what other active center in NBA can score and block the same numbers as Ming with a limited amount of touches?

6. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

THis game has just confirmed the fact that Ming can be very good if he can just stay away from foul troubles. I am sure the Rockets coaching staffs can help him in that area. GO ROCKETS!!!

7. foxy

foxy Member

fiba site says that Yao Ming had 13 rebounds.

impressive !

8. Matador

Matador Member

Holy Sheesh!. What a game by the Big Fella!!!!!!!

quote of the night: Algeria Coach Billal Faid, "We were trying to stop the ball from going to Yao Ming; this was our weakest point. Yao Ming had a great game. The difference was he scored 38 points. This was a problem for us, our players are not that tall. It was very painful and tiring for our players."

#108 Matador, Aug 31, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2002
  9. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

W&S, I think you may be on to something with the 'lucky red' jerseys. :)

#109 T-2, Aug 31, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2002
  10. coolpet

coolpet Member

well...why u guys so excited, that just his normal number

11. Matador

Matador Member

I am waiting too. I love to see these pompous sports writers make asses out of themselves when they give over the top opinions that turn out to be way off.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the great covereage of the game. EXCELLENT!

13. Matador

Matador Member

The official World Basketball Championship website's write up of the game says Yao is 7'5" and 254 lbs. Did Yao lose 40 lbs. since the draft? :p

"Indianapolis, Aug. 30 - Yao Ming’s 7-5, 254 pound presence dominated China’s World Basketball Championship Group C preliminary round contest with Algeria Friday at Conseco Fieldhouse. In the end, Yao played long enough for China to win 96-82."

link

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So--

Ming played 12 minutes in the 2nd half, getting 17 points, 6 rebs, 1 assist and SEVEN blocks!

7 blocks in 12 minutes!? That's downright frightful.

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Here's something else to think about. Since the games "officially" started (Thursday), this is Ming's average:

27 ppg 8.5 rpg 4.5 bpg.

Also in NIKE's post:

<b>Ming played 12 minutes in the 2nd half, getting 17 points, 6 rebs, 1 assist and SEVEN blocks!
    </b>

Those are Shaq-type numbers. I'm not saying he's Shaq, but that is scary! I think he's averaging around 3 assists per game to about about 2 or 3 steals. This guy could be a monster!

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Vlade , Elden Campbell, Kandi, David Robinson would have torn those guys up playing for china. Mutumbo would probable have 12 blocks or so. Hell, Cato might have even got a double double with a few blocks.

It's wishfull thinking to think Ming is going to jump right in and be the 2nd best center in the league right away.

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

These aren't the guys you mentioned, but Brand, Wallace, and J.O'Neal got less in about 20 minutes than Yao did in the 12, against the same team. Vlade played Spain and almost fouled out. He didn't have great numbers. But I'll give him something since Spain has Gasol, I think.

18. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Mutombo and Cato couldn't score in double figures if they played against the strawman, the tinman and toto.

Blocks, yes. 38 points - yeah right.

19. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

That is just wrong Winkfan. Those stats are freaking sick for his minutes played. Don't forget dilder that Robinson did play in the olympics at Ming's age and posted no where near those kind of stats while playing more minutes. Vlade is in the games right now and I don't see those kind of stats coming up for Vlade. And I don't think that it is an advantage to be the team's only real scoring option. That allows the opposing defense to concentrate on Yao. That is why the US always blows away the competition because they never know where to look.

And I thought his game yesterday was great too! I wanted to trade him when we first drafted him but now I feel like a fool. I am not on the Ming hysteria band wagon but I do think he is well worth the number 1. He is not Jesus though. He has some work to do.

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You've got a point there. The tinman is pretty strong in the post:D