1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WBC] Oswalt v. Japan

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ryan17wagner, Mar 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. lalala902102001

If he pulled Roy before that inning became a disaster this game might be tied now.

2. lalala902102001

Adam Dunn is a joke.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We're playing like the Royals, while Japan is playing like they're the Yankees from 1998.

By the way, what is up with some of these players playing? We clearly have superior talent out there. I know this thing is not very popular with some people, as it sort of screws up spring training, but still. I wish Berkman would have played.

I'm extremely displeased at playing the most overrated player in the game (Derek Jeter) over Jimmy Rollins....

4. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

Im rookie of baseball, American baseball just surprised me a lot, initially I thought your baseball was just like usa basketball team. however, both of USA's games I watched got abused by their opponents. just pathetic

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

6. Two Sandwiches

The United States doesn't have, in my opinion, all of our cream-of-the-crop talent out there. We have some players that are better than some of the ones we have out there, but they chose not to play because they are getting ready for the long Major League Baseball season that starts in a week or so. Many feel that playing this tournament at this time does not provide ample playing time and interaction with their teammates to get them off to a smooth start.

So, what you get, in effect, is a group of all-stars and a group of on-the-verge all-stars playing in a half apathetic mode. It seems like half the players on Team USA are there to play for their country, and the other half are there to relax and have fun.

In teams like Japan and Korea, they have good players who play in the leagues over there, but I have to say, these guys take it WAY more seriously, and play with a patriotic enthusiasm that is unrivaled by anything but the MLB's World Series.

7. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I don't think even the best possible US lineup would beat Japan. They are just more fundamentally sound than US players.

What would be considered the "best" American lineup and rotation? Puma at 1B I think.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Fitting that Dunn strikes out to end it.

9. lalala902102001

IMO Japan just has better pitching than the U.S., especially at this time of the year when our pitchers are in spring training mode. Roy clearly didn't have it today.

10. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

Thanks for your introduction, pretty informative :) Actually baseball is very interesting sport, I just have no idea how come it does not popular at all in China. I will watch more Major league games this season for sure.

11. Two Sandwiches

You gotta have Ryan Howard, Joe Mauer, Berkman, Matt Holliday, Josh Hamilton, etc. for hitting.

As far as pitching, there is a ton of talent to choose from. I can't even begin to name all the names...Cliff Lee, Josh Beckett, Halladay, Lester, Lincecum, Papelbon, Nathan...just to name a few off the league leaders' list from last year.

I should also add, yes, I think Japan is more fundamentally sound than us, (i.e. they don't swing for the fences when down a few runs) but I would love to see our best players matched against theirs.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Olympics >>>>>>>>> WBC

Nobody REALLY cares about the WBC. Not even the players (as a whole, not the ones on the team). I've heard enough people say that they'd rather pay attention to spring training than the WBC that I'm fairly sure the majority of American baseball fans feel the same way.

13. Two Sandwiches

I think the WBC is a GREAT idea for baseball fans all over the world. I think it can become a bigger event. I just think it needs to be revamped.

To start, I would almost rather see the games played after the World Series in October. Also, the US needs to quit being so apathetic for this thing to be interesting.

It could do wonders for baseball's popularity across the globe. I love seeing countries like Itlay, The Netherlands, South Africa, etc. be in this thing. I think that is awesome.

14. lalala902102001

The thing is that baseball is no longer an Olympics sport. WBC is probably going to the biggest international baseball turnament for the forseeable future. I would like to see the U.S. and MLB take it more seriously.

15. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I don't know why they wouldn't care. They can represent their country against the best athletes in the world. I think anytime you can do that it's a great honor.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

the only team sport america is best at is basketball, and even then Spain nearly beat them in the finals.

other than that, there is baseball in which the US just lost, soccer, and hockey(Canada is better)

Of course we still have football but no one cares about that outside the USA.

17. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

So is Russia, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Finland and possibly others.

18. DreamRoxCoogFan

did you watch the game? i mean it was close, but not that close...

19. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

exactly! we just got only one live game per year in china, which is superbowl. And all I care about is those funny ads during the break :D

20. Asian Sensation