1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Way too early draft poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Feb 23, 2022.

?

If available, who should the Rockets draft?

1. Jabari Smith

123 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Chet Holmgren

120 vote(s)
    44.1%
  3. Paolo Banchero

19 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Jaden Ivey

6 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. AJ Griffin

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Trade pick

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley edges him out but Chet isn’t far behind. He’s fast, specially when he opens up. He’s as fluid, agile, vertical and fast as a 7 footer can get.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think Chet is the more impactful player of the two .... and that's not just because of his defense & shooting but ball handling & passing too.

Yep, he's skinny ..... that's a risk I'd be willing to take.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i wouldn't mind Chet at all. He moves extremely well with the ball for a guy his size. He also doesn't back down from physical contact either.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Smith - far less risky in terms of transitioning to the NBA and remaining injury free for the long haul

groovemachine likes this.
  5. H. Christopher

1. Chet
    2. Ivey
    3. Jabari
    4. Sharpe
    5. Paolo

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. MadRox

MadRox Member

I hope we get Chet and not repeat last year, where we didn't draft for need or best available in Mobley and went with a guard position that is overcrowded to begin with.

7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

He's fast for 7 footer. His jumper look smoother than Mobley. Mobley shot in game don't look as good as he was in the skill challenge. Only concern is his weight. He went from 190 to 195. I think he can get to 210-220 after 1-2 years in NBA. I would be happy with either Chet or Jabari. Right now we just need to get lucky and get the top 2 pick.

groovemachine and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol, nobody should be using Centers heavily in transition, he might get out there and run but it should not be in the game plan.

That is just not viable in the Playoffs when half court sets are played.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I wouldn't want to subject any of those young men's lives or talents to the deeply oppressive force that is Tilmans Houston Rockets.

D-rock and jacoby like this.
  10. jacoby

jacoby Member

I'm trying to understand your thinking when you say that the guard position was overcrowded last season. We had KPJ and Eric Gordon. We needed talent at every position.

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

Or the shame and ridicule they will receive from Clutchfans if they even think about not being great off the bat.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well, the thing is they never experience that shame or ridicule, only people on Clutchfans experience it. it's not actually a real thing for them. They are much more likely to partake in something like Twitter, and there's nothing exclusive to the Rockets about toxic fanbases, every team has them.

But the human form of oppression that is Tilman, now that's as real as a heart attack for everybody, player, and fans.

jacoby and daywalker02 like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You think that was ridicule?

You throw a paper ball in direction of JG, and all sympathizers are moaning in shock.

You better believe what is going on in the big markets......

Oh who are we that we can't even question a 2nd overall lottery pick......

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

16. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Trade Porter, draft Jaden Ivey.

The kid is dynamic. The next Ja Morant. It's easier to draft a defensive minded big, with size later in the draft. Ivey is the best player in the draft.

17. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

true, it's easier to draft a defensive minded big later in the draft (like we did with garuba last yr), but it's not easy to draft a defensive minded big who can also contribute significantly on the offensive side and with 3pt shooting.

i'll be honest... wasn't too high on chet until i started watching his games this season. and he really is a game changer - always makes the right plays, really high bball iq, has all the instincts that you just can't teach. if all goes right he can very well be a top 5 player in the league.

if rockets end up with either chet or jabari, then i may as well start eating at landry's to help support that max contract for tilman. aj griffin as a consolation would also be pretty nice.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The NBA is the most unique athletic conference ever. Athletes this tall, strong, fast and skilled are a genuine rarity. That Evan Mobley, who still has to ask uncle Kevin to buy beer after the games, is considered lightweight *because of his height* is amazing. He's 2 lbs. lighter than the NBA average of 217 lbs. ( https://runrepeat.com/height-evolution-in-the-nba ) and pretty much in line with the average range of 3s (215lbs) and 4s (230lbs). The truth is, while a skinny kid for sure, he's not massively underweight. He plays forward. He's going to fill out naturally over the next 3 years. The league is moving in the direction of bigger guards and smaller bigs and even then...

EVEN THEN

Chet is 190. Below average weight for a 1, playing the 5 (average weight 248lbs, 58 elbows short).

I wish him the best. I'd just rather have Banchero or Smith. NBA bodies on a team that is frankly lacking in that category.

Porter, Green, Tate, Banchero, Sengun is something I can live with.
    Nix, JC, Mathews, Martin, Garuba bench

Wood, Gordon, Wall, Nwaba all get traded in my perfect offseason.

groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's because all the experts on CF could not imagine Mobley as a NBA wing, only a skinny high assed center.

And it's because those posters refused or were unable to realize that Mobley was a true Unicorn who's skills, vertical explosiveness, lateral agility, high IQ and disciplined measured playing style combined in a 7 foot body with 7'5 wingspan could correctly translate to NBA due to their own limited preconceptions. As well as blindly embracing whole heartedly all the misinformation.

Chet is not Mobley but he is a Unicorn in his own way.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd compare Chet to Christian Wood.

Except Chet is better ball handler, facillitator, outlet passer, 3ball shooter and lob threat.

Oh yeah, Chet is not just miles better on defense, but longer, more physical and recovers better.

Especially as rim protector.