1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Way too early draft poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Feb 23, 2022.

?

If available, who should the Rockets draft?

1. Jabari Smith

123 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Chet Holmgren

120 vote(s)
    44.1%
  3. Paolo Banchero

19 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Jaden Ivey

6 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. AJ Griffin

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Trade pick

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet is the prize of this draft. There isn’t a player in the draft that has his offensive and defensive abilities and upside.
    The negativity about his frame is overrated, he’s a dog, he’s tough and doesn’t back down from anything.
    His length, athleticism, fluidity, 3 pt shot (best in the country for bigs), low and high post game along with DPOY ability is the crown jewel.
    That being said, Smith is an excellent consolation prize. Similar skill set without the handles and playmaking. Not quite the defender.
    You take either of them and run.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not overrated if he becomes Zion 2.0 but on the extremely skinny spectrum.

Now unfortunately you live with the good and the bad after the selection, there is no buyer's remorse and take back clauses with drafts.

Stop with the Chet noise until the Rockets have the 1st pick.

People learned nothing from the Jalen Green hype disaster.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's definitely overrated because hes literally had 0 injury history. Yet he's supposed to get hurt and bullied. And folks keep saying at every level, well see how he handles so and so. College is supposed to bully him. Nope. And still to this day he's regarded as the #1 pick and dominating. Now i see lets see how he handles the tourney

groovemachine, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA's 82 game program, plus Play In plus potential Playoff games, that is a ton.

I do not really care because it is not my decision to make.

If you want to go from PJ Tucker's line backer team to the Jack and the Beanstalks.... be my guest.

Where does it say Chet goes 2nd or 3rd.... nobody knows.

He is compared to Porzingis but how is Porzingis faring so far?

He was not the consensus number 1 which means he was not dominating every season.

We have to learn the lesson from the past and not hang ourselves on one tree but have multiple targets!

#64 daywalker02, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

that applies to everyone, not just Chet. the funny thing is folks want to knit pick Chet's frame because that's basically the only thing they can actually point out right now.

Love PJ. him being who he is, still doesn't impact the game defensively the way Chet does. Even if he is some "linebacker" as you want to put it.

player comparisons are meaningless. It's for folks who don't actually follow these guys.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why do you want to follow those guys so badly when it is not guaranteed they are landing on your team.

2. What does it matter if you follow him or not, he is not getting better or worse because of one more follower.

The thing with simping nowadays is, people attach themselves to a player and ride and die with them.....for what?

Let's say he has game, can you predict what he is becoming?

I'll hit the honest Like button if you could. And then I'd track it for whichever team he ends up playing for.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

you follow them, because someone is a fan of the game. what kind of logic is this anyway? You're supposed to follow only guys that are on your team. that doesn't make sense.

I'm not 100% attached to Chet. I follow college pretty regularly and see a ton of players. You obviously highlight certain guys that stand out and who have a chance at the next level. And I agreed with folks overblowing his frame as some huge negative. It hasn't been to this point. Ive seen night in and night out teams try to "bully" him and boy does it backfire.

groovemachine and clutchdabear like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A player name in comparison and I leave you alone for the night. As your name beckons, you only live or draft for Chet once.

I doubt people can follow all the players, I can't, I have kid(s) to take care of. I am doing something else than basketball......however, I am still interested enough in the thinking of some of you, people.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Chet's considered a unicorn for a reason

groovemachine and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Chet is the most unique player I've ever watched and would be an absolute joy here.

Anyone who declares something like they are 100% sure Chet isn't the guy, tells me they are not watching him play.

I've watched a ton of tape, interviews and at least 10 full games each (with my focus on the players not on the teams) on Chet, Jabari, AJG and Paolo. Any of those 4 would be incredible here. None are perfect but all of them have all star or greater ceilings.

Chet has a ceiling higher than anyone entering the league since Zion. Dude could be an absolute generational talent if he hits. His floor is incredibly high (3rd option on offense and an All defensive level player is his floor) if the injuries don't come. He doesn't need weight to be an all star and putting on weight could bring injury challenges.

groovemachine, Denovo, xaos and 4 others like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So would you say Mobley is considered a Unicorn? Or is that term reserved for Offense....

Because if you have multiple unicorns, they are not called unicorns no more but Multi-corns.

I admit that the direction has been absolutely intriguing, but with more and more kids becoming unicorns these days, one day half the league would be full of those "unicorns".

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. mobley doesn't have a significant handle and while his wingspan is solid, it hasn't been unseen in the nba. also not a good shooter

chet's bball attributes are farther along than mobley coming into the league. and with his size and overall ability already on both ends of the floor, that's why he's a unicorn

#72 YOLO, Feb 24, 2022
  13. conquistador#11

Not many many people know this but Jabari Smith is the son of former nba player Jabari Smith.

this is where I claim I knew that but in reality I just learned why vintage Jabari Smith kept appearing when I search for new Jabari Smith

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

His cousin is Kwame Brown.

Dwight Howard played AAU with Josh Smith.

#74 treyk3, Feb 24, 2022
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Which of the unicorns won a title so far?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

he had to follow Lebron to get one but since you asked

[​IMG]

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

My list keep changing. Right now my top 3 Chet, Smith, Ivey

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not see him as clear unicorn though. He had the tools.

He played a conventional game with the Lakers, rebounds, swats shots, he does not handle the ball that much with Lebron.

He settles for way too many jumpers.

The Bubble ship was a clear asterisk ship.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course he was a unicorn. There was nobody like him coming into the league

bigs shooting jumpers. welcome to the modern era

Denovo, D-rock and lionaire like this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

How fast is Chet ?

that’s my one holdup on him .

how does his fluidity / quickness look like compared to mobley ?

there is a bit more risk the taller you get , but it is counteracted somewhat by the fact that if you get hurt you can slow down and still be OK due to height ( assuming you still meet the minimum speed )

length helps you be quick in a confined space and it’s about quickness and coordination to position your body best .

I would tend to like the profile of jabari over Chet given his skills aren’t too inferior .

Mobley and Chet are both called unicorns , but is one more athletic than the other / faster .

gotta be able to keep up with nba pace . Even if the game slows down , it won’t slow down to peak slow . How does his body type deal with an nba season over 5-6 years ...

This is why we drafted green .

shooting is king now and will still prolly be in 5 years . That might push it in favor of Chet , but we already have sengun.

I think you double down on that last class / kpj / and Tate as your core and draft for fit .... assuming the talent is close enough