1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson to Arizona?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Landry's Tooth, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

This would seem to make sense with the issues there with Kyler. They could flip Kyler to a team like Pittsburgh, New Orleans, or Indy for a bunch of picks and then flip some of them to us for Watson.

I would think Watson would be ok with Hopkins and Watt there as a destination...

Maybe we get 2 1sts and 2 2nds?

Fulgore, Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Would take more than that imo. Specially if they trade Kyler first

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Both QBs go to different conferences as well

Same with Tampa or Carolina

Watson goes NFC no way he wants to battle it out every year with

Mahomes
    Allen
    Burrow
    Jackson
    Herbert

raining threes likes this.
  4. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Or.....just swap Kyler for Watson. Then you can flip Mills for a 2nd to a team like Bucs, Steelers, etc. We extend Kyler and all is good in the world. Maybe they throw in a pick or two after Watson's legal stuff is settled over the next couple of weeks hopefully.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They would have to throw in some more imo. Kyler is talented but he’s not in the same category as the top guys in AFC.
    He might be able to get there and he’s cheap right now, so that would be a plus. Plus being a Texas boy is a positive.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Kyler thinks that the Cardinals management is bad, why the **** would he go to an even worse front office situation here?

7. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

$$$

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Does the NFL work like the NBA? If so, and only the Cardinals can give him the most money out of every other team, that would render the money argument moot.

Also, he becomes a UFA in 2024. A team out there will give him whatever the max is, if he decides not to sign with AZ.

Literally zero reason for him to come to Houston. Not the most money, has a worse team situation than the Cardinals, etc.

9. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

NFL is completely different. Cardinals could use the franchise tag on him in 2024, 2025, 2026. Which means he could go nowhere until 2027, which is 5 years from now. If he decided that he was not going to show up that year does not count towards his contract, so he can't just sit out until 2027 and play baseball.

Same as Deshaun, but Watson isn't UFA until 2026, which means after 3 franchise tags, he does not control his own destiny until 2029 in which he would be 33 years old, assuming he shows up an honors his contract until then. This is why it makes me chuckle when people think Watson has leverage over the Texans. The only thing he has going for him is his return value.

If the McNairs, Caserio flat out told him...we will not trade you, you better be prepared to retire...there is nothing he can do about it except retire or show up until 2029 and then become a free agent. That said, I think the value is there for a trade and it will happen by the draft, but the Texans control it.

The reason I think it's a good trade is both the Cardinals and Texans will not be willing to trade them to a player within their conference. So for the Cardinals that narrows the teams down to 16. Then take out the teams that are set at QB.

Good at QB: Patriots, Bills, Ravens, Bengals, Chargers, Chiefs, Jaguars, Titans
    AFC Teams that could upgrade at QB: Jets, Dolphins, Steelers, Browns, Raiders, Broncos, Texans, Colts.

So that is 8 teams. We have seen the asking price of 3 first rounders with 3 additional assets for Watson, I imagine the Cardinals would seek something very similar in return. I do not see any of those other 7 teams being able to offer something that would equate to getting Watson now. Cardinals are built to win now and starting over at QB just doesn't make sense for them. Swapping them just makes sense. We will find out soon enough!

BigShasta likes this.
  10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think that would be a very fair and fortunate scenario for the Texans. Murray isn't quite the player Watson is but he's younger and still a top 10 quarterback. You could move forward with him. That would be a big win. But I wouldn't expect much if any additional compensation. The Texans are trading the better football player, but that doesn't mean anything if the guy isn't playing. Plus lots of baggage.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. It’s probably more a top 10 in Watson for a top 15 in Murray, but Murray is younger and more dynamic

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Watson to Cowboys?

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans want no part of Murray.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  14. raining threes

Yep,

Trading one Diva for another Diva.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Landry's Tooth

The OP was about sending Kyler somewhere else that was a qb away...

Arizona might do that if Watson is replacement and Hopkins is on board with it.

I would rather roll dice on Mills and his rookie contract and then someone in the draft a year from now... qbs on rookie deals are huge advantages...

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That’s only “IF” you hit on the rookie QB

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

"If we throw in our 1st maybe Arizona will go for it".

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Watson to Rams?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Trade Watson to the Cardinals for the Arizona Coyotes...

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

And neither do I. Maybe if the Texans were ready to contend, but they aren’t. Murray seems like a weird dude and he’s tiny. He’s going to get hurt and he will be done, or maybe he will decide to play baseball.

I’ve become somewhat optimistic about Mills. Surround him with some real talent, and maybe he will grow into being a good QB.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.