1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watch the silly minstral with his empty arms spread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Apr 21, 2010.

1. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

Point.

[rquoter][​IMG]
    A Mighty Pale Tea

By CHARLES M. BLOW
    GRAND PRAIRIE, Tex.

On Thursday, I came here outside Dallas for a Tea Party rally.

At first I thought, “Wow! This is much more diverse than the rallies I’ve seen on television.”

Then I realized that I was looking at stadium workers. I should have figured as much when I approached the gate. The greeter had asked, “Are you working tonight?”

I sat in the front row. But when the emcee asked, “Do we have any infiltrators?” and I almost raised my hand, I realized that sitting there might not be such a good idea.

I had specifically come to this rally because it was supposed to be especially diverse. And, on the stage at least, it was. The speakers included a black doctor who bashed Democrats for crying racism, a Hispanic immigrant who said that she had never received a single government entitlement and a Vietnamese immigrant who said that the Tea Party leader was God. It felt like a bizarre spoof of a 1980s Benetton ad.

The juxtaposition was striking: an abundance of diversity on the stage and a dearth of it in the crowd, with the exception of a few minorities like the young black man who carried a sign that read “Quit calling me a racist.”

They saved the best for last, however: Alfonzo “Zo” Rachel. According to his Web site, Zo, who is black and performs skits as “Zo-bama,” allowed drugs to cost him “his graduation.” Before ripping into the president for unconstitutional behavior, he cautioned, “I don’t have the education that our president has, so if I misinterpret some things in the founding documents I kind of have an excuse.” That was the understatement of the evening.

I found the imagery surreal and a bit sad: the minorities trying desperately to prove that they were “one of the good ones”; the organizers trying desperately to resolve any racial guilt among the crowd. The message was clear: How could we be intolerant if these multicolored faces feel the same way we do?

It was a farce. This Tea Party wanted to project a mainstream image of a group that is anything but. A New York Times/CBS News poll released on Wednesday found that only 1 percent of Tea Party supporters are black and only 1 percent are Hispanic. It’s almost all white.

And even when compared to other whites, their views are extreme and marginal. For instance, white Tea Party supporters are twice as likely as white independents and eight times as likely as white Democrats to believe that Barack Obama was born in another country.

Furthermore, they were more than eight times as likely as white independents and six times as likely as white Democrats to think that the Obama administration favors blacks over whites.

Thursday night I saw a political minstrel show devised for the entertainment of those on the rim of obliviousness and for those engaged in the subterfuge of intolerance. I was not amused.[/rquoter]

Counterpoint.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0KpURAUZXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0KpURAUZXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I don't understand what part of the "Southern Strategy" you and this guy don't get.

You are correct that 50 years ago, southern racists were a bastion of the democratic party south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Guess where those assholes like George Wallace etc went in the late 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's brah. And guess why. They are now your fellow registered Republicans. Enjoy their company brah.

Meanwhile we'll be busy governing. Sucks to be a fat white middle aged person I guess.

Edit: I would like to commend this guy though for fleecing teabagger idiots out of a few bucks. Too bad he doesn't have a fancy law degree - Clarence Thomas combined this same act with a Yale Law degree and has made millions off of it.

#2 SamFisher, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  3. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

you tell me- i wouldn't know.

4. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

btw, you didn't actually watch the video did you? before you answer, check the time of the OP, then that of your post. be sure to note the length of the video.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I stopped after he started mentioning George Wallace and Woodrow Wilson as prominent democrats. No point in listening to the rest.

Do you call yourself a senior citizen then now, squatty?

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well we know the tea party is intolerant, and we know basso likes to claim that blacks are the reasons for gay people's woes in this country, so this is par for the course? :confused:

7. mc mark

mc mark Member

"Diversity is an agent of divisiveness"

*snicker*

8. uolj

uolj Member

It seems "Zo" missed Blow's point entirely.

I did listen to the whole clip. A large part of the last minute or so was Rachel complaining about Blow calling him a loser. The problem is that Blow didn't call him a loser. It was basically 3 and a half minutes of Rachel addressing overblown or completely imaginary charges.

9. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

Link?

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well I'll get back with the anti multiculturalism signs later

but how about the fact that it exists now and and it didn't exist when we had the previous admin blow through surpluses, cut taxes without spending, prosecute wars off the books, etc, etc.

but now they have problem with spending

riggghhhtttt

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for filing this one away into the garbage bin so quickly. Saves the rest of us some time. I've seen this guy's videos posted before, usually with the same end result.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

basso arguing that dems were racists fifty years ago might be his lamest mission on this site. that's saying a lot

13. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

what exists now? record levels of spending? if your point is that republicans didn't protest Bush's spending, then you must know that Obama's level of spending is orders of magnitude above and beyond what Bush spent, bad as that was.

14. Mulder

Mulder Member

Seems to me that this was a result of the video that the Dallas Tea Party people posted in response to Keith Olbermann. He said it is not diverse, Tea party people said it was, and someone went down to check it out and found out it was not diverse at all.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMdPTpOyUk4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMdPTpOyUk4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

15. uolj

uolj Member

This is hardly evidence that they're intolerant of anything other than democrats and/or unable to look at the context behind big numbers.

Speaking of which, what is your basis for saying that Obama's spending is orders of magnitude higher than Bush's? Do you consider Bush policies that have not yet been undone to be Obama policies?

16. jo mama

jo mama Member

and junior spent more than all previous presidents combined in only 3.5 years. how come you supported bush at the time despite the fact that he was the most fiscally liberal president we ever had up to that point? he also tripled the size of the federal government, but again, you supported him all the way.

you seemed to love big government and out-of control spending back from 01-08 or so...i wonder what changed since then...hmmm??