1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Washington Post] Rockets star James Harden adjusting, evolving into leader with Team USA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>How Harden keeps playing with this defense, I have no idea. <a href="https://t.co/buFLdjyGU8">https://t.co/buFLdjyGU8</a></p>&mdash; BBALLBREAKDOWN (@bballbreakdown) <a href="https://twitter.com/bballbreakdown/statuses/506181663601479680">August 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

did we really need this posted?.. we all saw the play

3. JazzLakerHater

The entire US team is playing like crap on defense, but of course they just like to single out Harden. F**k all the haters man.

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He played great d all game besides that one play. The media really is getting out of hand their literally ruining his reputation as a legit NBA star. You go on other message boards and ppl really think this guy isn't even a top 20 player????? I mean really I get it if you don't like his game but how can anyone who watched basketball say theirs 20 better players.

I watched the whole USA game today and he's the only guard that deserves to even be wearing that jersey. These guys Irving and curry dnt know how to pass the ball. It's a and1 game with these two. It's like they forgot there's other players on the court who are better than you. Harden is the only one playing team ball yet he gets the labor of ball hog.

This stuff is getting out of hand and down right annoying.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You people are doing what you people accuse the media of doing.

One commentator (Coach Nick) tweeted one video showing Harden playing poor defense and you people use it to claim that all the members of "the media" are attacking Harden and will only report on the negatives in Harden.

This is simply not true. This very thread is based in a POSITIVE article by a member of THE MEDIA about Harden. Other members if the media have reported on positive comments made by Team USA staff about Harden and when Harden showed good defensive effort in prior Team USA games as well.

You people need to give the conspiracy theory a rest. Harden will get credit when he earns it through consistent focus and effort over time and will get crap if he slips up give his existing reputation.

6. anchel

anchel Member

I disagree. I recognize he showed a different attitute at the first friendly games. But last games he has been the old James Harden again. Is not only that play, is the overall body language at that end of the court.

Terrible habits. You don't change that in 2 weeks of practices.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, gotta give 1 zillion percent on every play of a meaningless tournament playing for free a few weeks before the season.

8. WestendMassive

I completely agree. If people are going to hate on Harden for not rotating, how about Steph Curry too? Just standing in the paint on the baseline, then half-heartedly acts like he's boxing out.

But that doesn't fit with the Hate on Harden narrative that's become popular over the last year.

Remember when people used to say Harden was an exciting and dynamic player and a fan favourite?

Something has really changed along the way and while his D does need work, the complaints about his play on the offensive end are ridiculous.

An aggressive 2 guard who scores by driving into the paint or shooting three balls is a prototypical excitement machine. But because Harden draws fouls suddenly he's a flopper that gets bailed out by the refs.

9. traveler

traveler Member

I didn't get to watch the Turkey game but from what I have been watching up the game is Harden has been very active defensively. I have been impressed.

10. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

I heard he had four steals in the game before Sundays's game. His effort on the defensive end seems improved from reports.

11. houtown

houtown Member

If Harden decides to play defense at full effort, i think it might take away from his offense unless he is in the best shape or playing in a slower paced offense.

12. traveler

traveler Member

lol

The difference here is that team USA has a bench. Harden has been fantastic so far. From reading about the game it was reported that the whole team was sloppy. I didn't see this game so I can't say.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Why you're expecting him to play a perfect game???

Team USA will need zone-busters against the European teams.

That's where Steph Curry is gonna make his mark. So far Harden, Rose, and Gay are struggling to find their shots after their drives are shut off.

I count two plays when Harden lost his man. He knew right away his mistake. Ya all think his bad habits will go away after a few weeks> Needs constant attention, but I think his resolve is there.

14. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

BBALLBREAKDOWN just happens to Coach Nick. The guy is a complete sham (with only high school coaching experience) and happens to somehow have an agenda against Harden. He is single handily ruining harden's reputation in the league.

15. NotChandlerParsons

He's on Team USA. He played 25 minutes today.

16. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

I would give him the benefit of the doubt. It's hard to break old habits. As long as he shows he's changing, then I can live with that.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Please. He tweeted 3 seconds of the game and said that Harden should pretty much be sent home in disgrace because of it.

Do you not see the issue there? You're a smart guy.

18. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Watching Harden and Davis run the pick and roll is just a glimpse of what our offense could be like. There really isn't any good reason why we can't get a layup, dunk, or wide open 3 on every pick and roll he runs with Dwight.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He was a smart guy before this Harden-must-go disease took root in his hindbrain.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's pure fact that Harden has sucked at defense as a Rocket. The problem is, I doubt people are intelligent enough to be able to acknowledge it if/when he does begin playing decent defense.