1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Washington Post] Life at $7.25 an Hour

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by insane man, Jan 9, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah so they're really reaping those free votes in the year 2020.

2. Major

Major Member

Oh definitely - I think there are a lot of people like you. Far more people support a minimum wage than social welfare programs (in a general sense). I think most of that minority that is against minimum wage is also against social welfare, but not necessarily the opposite (that supporters of minimum wage also support welfare programs).

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Where is the word 'Capitalism' in the Constitution?

Rocket River

4. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

How many of you ACTUALLY own a small business?

*slience*

It's easy to play craps with someone else's money, right?

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

do you?

6. halfbreed

I never said I did. I'm not the one spending other people's money, though.

7. SamFisher

Oh, please. If that were the case then nobody could ever have any input ever on tax laws or fiscal policy whatsoever.

I work for big business. Further I hold indirect equity in a lot of other big businesses via securities. Since we make a lot more money than a small business and employ a lot more people, my opinion is more important. There. Standing established. :rolleyes:

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again what the f_ck does this have to do with your taxes paying for this guy's gas?

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Honestly, I thought the Progressive Era and the New Deal answered this question already and one would think that living in a middle-class majority country would remind people.

10. halfbreed

You're missing my point. Everyone here is talking about what will or won't happen or talking that there's no reason small businesses will suffer. The people saying this don't actually own a small business so their opinion IS less important than someone who does.

Everyone here talking about living on minimum wage is missing the point. By the time you are taking care of a family or making a living you should have developed enough skills to not be making minimum wage.

My first job was at a place where I made 6 dollars an hour. Not a bank breaker but I was 16. Don't tell me that people can't find a job making more than minimum wage.

11. vlaurelio

give me one example where a small business will suffer badly?

12. halfbreed

The business will not suffer. They will just lay off workers to maintain the status quo.

Remember, most small business owners don't make tons of money. I know a couple small business owners who make around 30-40K a year. They're not going to drop that income any more than it already is and will just fire some employees and give the others more work.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First of all there are relatively few business owners or workers affected by this. Most businesses, even small businesses pay more than min. wage. 55% of the workforce is paid on a salary basis, and aren't affected by the min. wage. Of the 45% that are affected only 3% of those make minimum wage.

Furthermore studies show that there is actually more hiring in states that have above the fed minimal wage. Everytime we've had a min. wage hike before the economy hasn't suffered in any significant way.

14. SamFisher

An economist who doesn't own a small business is less apt to be able to forecast economic impact of a minimum wage increase than somebody who owns a hardware store?

There are. You're just wrong.

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

The legal immigrant who just got off the boat with a family and can't speak English would like to say hi.

16. Major

Major Member

I own a couple. What's your point?

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

From the Economics chapter of rimrocker's Codebook to Manipulative Conservative Language:

Small business = corporations

Entrepreneur = corporate board members

Family farms = big agribusiness

Free Market = Help us, not them

Experts = Corporate lobbyists

Middle Class = Uber rich

Tax Reform = (see Free Market)

18. vlaurelio

how do you know that?

if people earn more they spend more so business revenue will go up to supports min wage increase

are you sure their revenues will be the same after the min wage increase?

you think 40K is not enough? so you feel sorry for people who make only 10K per year?

giving people more work will lead to more hours which means OT.. so its better to keep people who work regular hours than have fewer people whp work ot..

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It is working for every sector of the economy except for the very bottom. How are teachers, lawyers, CEOs, movie stars, truck drivers, ball players, doctors, engineers, etc. all making above minimum wage? There is no law requiring people to pay doctors more that $5.15 per hour. No one is forcing the NBA to give out multimillion dollar contacts. The workers involved have decided what they are willing to work for, and their employers are forced to pay that amount. The only difference is, what they are willing to work for is above the minimum wage, while a fruit picker might be willing to work for $4 per hour.

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

there is a large percentage of legal immigrants who are forced to work for minimum wage because of an inability to speak English or whatever other reason. The minimum wage protects them and enables them to feed and clothe their families.