1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Washington Post] Life at $7.25 an Hour

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by insane man, Jan 9, 2007.

1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

it did in 1986.

actually, it allowed for permanent residence... and put them on the pathway to citizenship. many of which probably didn't care about.

the anchor babies were given citizenship.

#41 rodrick_98, Jan 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Make me an offer and I will decide if I am willing to take it.

3. Fatty FatBastard

Are you f***ing kidding? I now have to worry about my taxes paying for his gas?!?

Didn't bother to read further. No adult works for minimum wage in the U.S. At least not an able one.

Minimum wage is the biggest antithesis to capitalism that there is. Find a wage you want! Earn it! Jeez!

#43 Fatty FatBastard, Jan 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  4. Fatty FatBastard

Truer words were never spoken.... I found a couple guys I met at a pool party 2 years ago. I told them I would get them a job paying 24,000 plus bonuses. After 1 month, they both whined that they were working too hard for the extra $400/month. (ie. welfare vs. salary. they were working, but whining.)

get into actual business, libs, before you patronize...

5. Fatty FatBastard

Not to keep commenting, but my dad made one hell of a compromise; to me at least.

Abolish minimum wage / luxury tax on any CEO making more than 200K.

To be fair, I think this is a damn good compromise. You get economics in its truest state, and the added ability not to allow corps to get greedy with elaborate profits.

I thought it was win/win.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That approach has been tried in this country, and it failed.

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

My parents worked for less than minimum wage when we moved here legally. No one else would give a job to someone who didn't speak English. Unless you been there in that situation where you don't speak the language, I respectfully ask you to shut your mouth about the conditions that force someone to work for less than minimum wage.

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How did you ever graduate highschool, let alone college? Please explain how your taxes are paying for his gas?

9. insane man

insane man Member

and america is a free country yet i have to pay taxes for a war i dont support.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That remind me of the first year when my family came to the states. My dad was making minimum wage and my mom was in grad school (both of them were professors in China). We ate chicken for almost a year, and my dad used to ride his bike to bring back the groceries. My family came a long way from back then, but I still remmeber that first year.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Please don't complain when some one slits your throat for the 5$ in your wallet
    so they can eat

ok?

Rocket River

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What I mean is
    When you force people in to desperate situations by relying on
    Market Demands etc. . one cannot be too upset when the consequences
    are crime and various other social ills

Rocket RIver

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

14. Fatty FatBastard

Let's try and not resort to petty name-calling. Refer to the quote I posted.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In other words you have no idea what you are talking about.

16. Major

Major Member

The quote you posted has nothing to do with your taxes. It has to do with him trying to make a decision how to best spend his own money.

17. Major

Major Member

Very important point here. People who are against minimum wages also tend to be against social welfare programs. That's all fine. But they seem to ignore reality when they then also complain about crime rates or other such things. If people are poor, and have a choice between commiting a crime to get money to eat or going hungry, they will choose the first.

There's a reason for social welfare improvements - they improve society as a whole. Minimum wage is a form of welfare, except that it requires people to work to get their benefits. Which, oddly enough, is what most of the anti-welfare people claim they support.

18. Fatty FatBastard

Wow, you didn't put anything of import up. In other words, quit being a troll.

Once again, anyone in America can earn more than minimum wage. It is not up to out gov't. to keep giving raises to people. If it is, please show me where in the constitution that was placed.

19. Major

Major Member

Once again, what does any of that have to do with your taxes paying for his gasoline?

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Actually I'm against social welfare programs but strongly for the minimum wage. To me it's more of a balance. Welfare programs IMO don't do a good enough job of teaching people to fish and I feel can often be used as a crutch instead. I'm for the minimum wage because I think higher pay=more motivation to get off welfare. a guy working 40 hours a week at $5.15 will make less money than what the gov't would give him if he was on welfare depending on the number of kids he has. However, that same guy working for $7.25 an hour might be more motivated to work instead.

I'm obviously holding a very moderate position on this.