1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Washington Post] Arenas to Miss Camp, Season's First Month After Surgery

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Omer, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Omer

Omer Member

Gilbert Arenas confirmed that he underwent a surgical procedure this morning that "cleaned out some debris" in his left knee. Arenas, who has undergone two surgeries to repair the left knee in the last two seasons, has been limited during the rehab process all summer and said he has planned all along on not participating in training camp or the preseason.

Arenas, who signed a six-year, $111 million contract this summer, said he plans on returning to game action sometime in early December which would mean that he'd miss at least the season's first month. The Wizards open the regular season Oct. 29 at home against New Jersey and play a total of 14 games in October and November.

"I just had some floating debris in there that was slowing me down," said Arenas, who seemed to be in good spirits. "It was irritating the knee so we decided to go in there and clean it out. This should actually allow me to come back faster."

Arenas was limited to 13 regular season games last season and missed the final eight regular season games and the playoffs the previous season after tearing the left meniscus in the knee during a game against Charlotte on April 4, 2007.

I've been on vacation and just flew back into town late last night so I'm still in the process of fleshing this all out. I can't yet tell you whether or to what extent president Ernie Grunfeld and coach Eddie Jordan were prepared for all of this.

We do know that the team has two point guards on the current roster - Antonio Daniels and Dee Brown - and has precious little space underneath the luxury tax threshold. It would appear, as of right now, that the Wizards will go into the season with this group and wait for Arenas to get healthy.

More later.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2008/09/arenas_to_miss_camp_seasons_fi.html

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I think the Wiz should have spent the money on other assets.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

what a life. i like the part where he said he was on vacation. hasnt he been on vacation.

really im kidding im just jealous.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

considering its just the first month of the season and its the east the wizards should be fine they were the 5th seed last year without Gilbert. if he can come back to full form thanks to this I am all for it.

funny people are saying he was just paid 111 but he turned down the max 127 mil so the wiz could sign others.

hopefully he is back at 100% in december he was always one of my favorite players to watch play.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Member

Anyway you spin it, that guy is not worth 111 mill. He's a 70 mill type of player at best, but if the Wiz think they can get a ring with him making that money, good luck to them.

6. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

the guy will never have the explosion that he once had 3 years ago... and you cant give 111 mill for a guy that has a busted knee...damn the wiz are clueless

7. FFz

FFz Member

talk about easy money!

man can't the wizards get insurance for this kind of stuff? they're getting robbed by him.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Situations like this make you realize, once again, how shrewd Morey is. I know that Landry won't be making that much money compared to Arenas, but the point is that you don't want to get stuck in the front end of a contract with a player that has a long-term/recurring injury. You may not get what you are paying for.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This really stinks. Gilbert isn't the most popular player on this forum, but this is a big loss for the NBA if he doesn't return to his previous form.

Don't forget that many forgot how good Dwyane Wade was before the Olympics. Gilbert is a superstar who helps carry the NBA, who lives and dies by it's marquee superstars.

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

And uh what about Yao or Tracy?

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

What does this do to his fantasy value?

Is he a good steal in the 5th or 6th round? Or is he best left alone - unless of course he's still on the table at round 10-11??

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I fell bad for Gilbert. I like him, he is a complete player and Wizards can accomplish something only with him in the lineup. He has already had 3 surgeries for that knee and he still isn't 100%. That doesn't sound good.

But what is worse is the fact that he still needed one more surgery which delays his comeback. He probably feels frustrated. He still needs to wait more than 3 months... And after that he probably won't be in his best basketball shape..so I am afraid this is another lost year for him...but I hope I'm wrong

13. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

why would you care? it's not like the wizards owner's going to work very hard to make that money back anyway...

14. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I sure hope Arenas comes back at even half the force he was before. All of these knee surgeries and $111 million? Doesn't quite look like a wise investment so far by the Wizards, lol. As I recall, they did alright without the frequently disabled Agent Zero.