1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Washed up" Chris Paul is the best clutch player in the NBA and will be in All-Star Game this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HardenVolumeOne

in 2019 we didn’t have ariza and luc. Basically the keys to our great defense. We weren’t the same team

HewbieTrippin likes this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Not cp3's fault. Hard to Run it Back when the owner is cheap as hell. Ennis and discount Melo was a joke!

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You are right , they were really good together ... but I think the perception was that CP3 was not the same CP3 anymore nor would he ever be again , age and injury had taken its toll. To his credit , he's been a very good this season.

In hindsight , I can't blame Morey and Co for moving on because father time is undefeated and lets be honest , this league has changed leaps and bounds over. CP3 is a traditional point , and I have to question his relevancy in the game today. Guards have gone from table setters to the man.

Really , I just don't like the guy - HATED him in NO and LAC , tolerated him here. All that whining and flopping is annoying. He's the type of you you love to have unless he's on your team.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I slightly disagree.

CP3's relevance in the regular season can be questioned but he can still win you some playoff games, not a whole lot but enough.

You always go back to old school in the Playoffs, always in the 4th.

The b****ing and flopping and chippiness get augmented in the postseason.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

High IQ and actual basketball skills don't just become irrelevant overnight. that stuff ages very well in the league. It's the people that keep wishing the worst for him that can't understand it

People shouldn't blame them because it wasn't them that ultimately made the decision. They had their reservations and made it known.

It was TIlman's idiot doing and panic decision

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

someone call the cops, that man is trying to hurt the lady

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You are probably right with most teams .... but not "This team".

Then again , if he isn't traded , then Capela is likely still here and the Rockets are "Most teams".

I just can't stand the guy ... To me he was public enemy #1 for a decade being in NO / LAC , throw in the b****ing , flopping and chippiness , him leaving , he went back to public enemy #1.

Instead of him , I'd rather they went after a star 3/4. Kinda felt the same way about the deal for Westbrook .... tho I am enjoying this mad experiment.

I think if Westbrook had played in the last two games , this series would have been over in 4.

The biggest issue was probably his health and the Rockets window with Harden being the next 2-3 years. The thought was probably that he couldn't contribute enough to win it all and at his salary , that was a deal breaker - He had to go. With "last years CP3" the window was slammed shut , the trade reopened that window.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He's in bed with the ref - 'ref-aeli'.

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Washed up melo... washed up cp3... washed up lebron.. they all doing work. Our stars in their prime are not.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Definitely agreed on this one. I don't regret trading for cp3 AT ALL. Those three weren't gonna push us over the top, and Harden needed a clear #2. The big extension however, most would agree was a bit crazy, given how he was exiting his prime. No arguments with that. And it didn't help that 2018-2019 was the worst for a lot of reasons already posted here and elsewhere, with the main one being how bad cp3 was all year for his standards.

However, given the competition THIS year, with no undisputed favorite, if you paired THIS new rejuvenated cp3 with harden, we'd definitely still b in the convo about serious contenders, just as we are with Russ right now. BUT, I think MDA/Harden's commitment to the same offense fits more with Russ as harden doesn't want any more in-game coaching from cp3 and just wants less thinking/talking the game and more putting the ball in the basket when he's doubled. Russ fits that well, but we'll see how it goes in crunch time in big games in the coming weeks (assuming russ comes back fine). So even if you paired this rejuvenated cp3 with Harden, I wonder if cp3 would be less impactful / encouraged to keep iso'ing for 3s instead of showcasing his greatest strength in the midrange.

In the end, the trade helped both teams and cp3's off year probably was what he needed to push him to get somewhere between the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 versions of himself. Kinda like how our letting go of Melo pushed him to come back strong. The way the Rockets tend to let go of players probably also helps create that motivation.

HP3 likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

bump

[​IMG]

durvasa likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cp3 is one of the best clutch players in this league.

It's hard to argue that we'd be better off with WB over CP3 given what we've seen. Westbrook is just far too inconsistent and has reverted back to his poor forms and habits.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

No matter how this series ends tonight it won’t change these facts.

From a basketball standpoint the trade was bad to begin with based on all the lost assets and the obvious wonky fit.

CP3 isn’t/wasn’t washed.

CP3 had an amazing season that was better than Westbrook’s by any and all measures by a country mile. Not even close.

Westbrook and the team have shown glimpses of greatness, but it’s been unreliable greatness.

The results of tonight’s game will not change any of this.

Westbrook could drop 40 and let his nuts hang all over CP3 on a dunk in a game where Paul looks off and we win big.

Doesn’t change those facts.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL 2 good games suddenly you come back. It's fine, CP3 played like a point god and WB played like trash. It happens. It's a 7 game series though it would have been over in 5 if we have Cliff Paul playing the first 5 games alongside Harden.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

wasn't 2 good games. its been the entire year.

Ive never gone anywhere. been here the entire time and will still be. every single one of my posts about this series have been spot on. at least you showed up finally to say something. I'll give you that.

Now it's time for the rockets to win game 7. Scott Foster adds a bit of extra worry but regardless

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

The facts are Cp3 is 36 WB is 31, Cp3 is barely 6'0 while WB is 6'3/6'4 and both have a 4 year contract.

Yeah ok Cp3 had a good season but that's only cuz he had an axe to grind with Houston for trading him away. He worked super hard in the summer and came back in great shape. Without that kind of motivation he wouldn't have had an amazing seaosn where was this last year? Gimme a break man.

We can win or lose but CP3 will be 37 next year and still has 2 years left on his deal. Those are the real facts.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

FACTS and all the Cp3 is washed idiots can't take it