1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Wash Post' Obtains Shocking Memo from U.S. Embassy in Baghdad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Jun 19, 2006.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No substantive debate or policy formation for Iraq is possible until the Administration and it's supporters publicly acknowledge how deep in the sh_tter this country has sunk. The U.S. embassy recently sent a memo that gives us some idea.

You can read the full memo here-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/opinions/graphics/iraqdocs_061606.pdf

It is truly sobering.

'Wash Post' Obtains Shocking Memo from U.S. Embassy in Baghdad

By Greg Mitchell

Published: June 18, 2006 6:20 PM ET

NEW YORK The Washington Post has obtained a cable, marked "sensitive," that it says shows that just before President Bush left on a surprise trip last Monday to the Green Zone in Baghdad for an upbeat assessment of the situation there, "the U.S. Embassy in Iraq painted a starkly different portrait of increasing danger and hardship faced by its Iraqi employees."

This cable outlines, the Post reported Sunday, "the daily-worsening conditions for those who live outside the heavily guarded international zone: harassment, threats and the employees' constant fears that their neighbors will discover they work for the U.S. government."

It's actually far worse than that, as the details published below indicate, which include references to abductions, threats to women's rights, and "ethnic cleansing."

A PDF copy of the cable shows that it was sent to the SecState in Washington, D.C. from "AMEmbassy Baghdad" on June 6. The typed name at the very bottom is Khalilzad -- the name of the U.S. Ambassador, though it is not known if this means he wrote the memo or merely approved it.

The subject of the memo is: "Snapshots from the Office -- Public Affairs Staff Show Strains of Social Discord."

As a footnote in one of the 23 sections, the embassy relates, "An Arab newspaper editor told us he is preparing an extensive survey of ethnic cleansing, which he said is taking place in almost every Iraqi province, as political parties and their militiast are seemingly engaged in tit-for-tat reprisals all over Iraq."

Among the other troubling reports:

-- "Personal safety depends on good relations with the 'neighborhood' governments, who barricade streets and ward off outsiders. The central government, our staff says, is not relevant; even local mukhtars have been displaced or coopted by militias. People no longer trust most neighbors."

-- One embassy employee had a brother-in-law kidnapped. Another received a death threat, and then fled the country with her family.

-- Iraqi staff at the embassy, beginning in March and picking up in May, report "pervasive" harassment from Islamist and/or militia groups. Cuts in power and rising fuel prices "have diminished the quality of life." Conditions vary but even upscale neighborhoods "have visibly deteriorated" and one of them is now described as a "ghost town."

-- Two of the three female Iraqis in the public affairs office reported stepped-up harassment since mid-May...."some groups are pushing women to cover even their face, a step not taken in Iran even at its most conservative." One of the women is now wearing a full abaya after receiving direct threats.

-- It has also become "dangerous" for men to wear shorts in public and "they no longer allow their children to play outside in shorts." People who wear jeans in public have also come under attack.

-- Embassy employees are held in such low esteem their work must remain a secret and they live with constant fear that their cover will be blown. Of nine staffers, only four have told their families where they work. They all plan for their possible abductions. No one takes home their cell phones as this gives them away. One employee said criticism of the U.S. had grown so severe that most of her family believes the U.S. "is punishing populations as Saddam did."

-- Since April, the "demeanor" of guards in the Green Zone has changed, becoming more "militia-like," and some are now "taunting" embassy personnel or holding up their credentials and saying loudly that they work in the embassy: "Such information is a death sentence if overheard by the wrong people." For this reason, some have asked for press instead of embassy credentials.

-- "For at least six months, we have not been able to use any local staff members for translation at on-camera press events....We cannot call employees in on weekends or holidays without blowing their 'cover.'"

-- "More recently, we have begun shredding documents printed out that show local staff surnames. In March, a few staff members approached us to ask what provisions would we make for them if we evacuate."

-- The overall environment is one of "frayed social networks," with frequent actual or perceived insults. None of this is helped by lack of electricity. "One colleague told us he feels 'defeated' by circumstances, citing his example of being unable to help his two-year-old son who has asthma and cannot sleep in stifling heat," which is now reaching 115 degrees.

-- "Another employee tell us that life outside the Green Zone has become 'emotionally draining.' He lives in a mostly Shiite area and claims to attend a funeral 'every evening.'"

-- Fuel lines have grown so long that one staffer spent 12 hours in line on his day off. "Employees all confirm that by the last week of May, they were getting one hour of power for every six hours without. ... One staff member reported that a friend lives in a building that houses a new minister; within 24 hours of his appointment, her building had city power 24 hours a day."

-- The cable concludes that employees' "personal fears are reinforcing divisive sectarian or ethnic channels, despite talk of reconciliation by officials."

The final line of the Cable is: KHALILZAD

Find this article at:
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002690071

2. Major

Major Member

Where's the usual suspects that will tell us that the media is just manipulating the truth, and that everything is getting much better?

3. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Damn liberal media. Another jihadist victory.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This is standard practice for thugs etc, the only thing different is that the Thugs used to be in charge.

DD

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The other minor difference is that we are spending billions and billions of dollars, the lives of thousands of our soldiers, and tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians to achieve the conditions described in that memo.

#5 gifford1967, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  6. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

Question: How can our troops fix this?

Answer: they can't.

We have become the oppressors to the public, who not only are the problem; we have become the problem that doesn't offer security. With all the people in this country who seem willing to sell all for our security, they seem to be indifferent to the security situation of Iraqi's.

We have become part of the problem not part of the solution.

Who does this occupation serve?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I agree, we need to leave ASAP.

DD

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn. I'll be glad when Hayes gets back from his trip to South Texas. I'd like to hear his take on this. It sounds as bad as I feared it might be. Heck, in some ways, it's worse.

I'm beginning to be glad that my close relation is working in Afghanistan, instead of still being in Iraq. That's a hell of a note.

Keep D&D Civil.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

If the government couldn't handle a major crisis in New Orleans, I don't know what they expect to do halfway around the world.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

heh...I got two close friends who's sons are both freshly out of boot.

Ive known one of them since he was one...almost like my own boy.

we all pray that they dont get assigned to Iraq...:(

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would actually be fairly interesting to figure out just what percentage of the Army's combat units have not rotated through Iraq. I assume that only the 8th Army/2nd ID in Korea is about the only group that is totally safe unless I'm missing something? Even then they are downsizing so I don't think they'll be sending many new troops there.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The close relation I mentioned has a son in the service, another relation, of course, who was in Kuwait, but I think he's moved into Iraq now. They recently reinforced our troops there with some from Kuwait. Needless to say, we're worried.

It kills me how we keep having to read these mindless posts directed at, "libpigs," Democrats, liberals, and anyone else who disagrees with Bush and the GOP about Iraq, or just about anything else. They have no idea what we go through in, "real life." They're too eager to repeat the latest soundbites from Rush, or Coulter, or Rove and his minions. It's enough to make you sick. Of course we support our military. Some of us have family members and close friends in the military. The cheap shot is just too hard to resist for them, I guess.

Supporting America's military and disagreeing with Bush's mad policies are two entirely different things. Someone shouldn't have to be Einstein to figure that out.

Keep D&D Civil.

13. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Is it the government's job to save the people of New Orleans from themselves?

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My nephew is half way done with his tour in Iraq with the Marines. He is doing well, but says he really can't wait to come home. He has sent me some amazing pictures.

There is one of a crazy dust storm sweeping through the area, and one taken through night vision goggles while he was in a heliocopter where the machine gun is firing from the chopper. That one is kind of scary, but it is a good photo.

I e-mail him about once a week. He sounds busy. It is always a releif to hear from him, though. I will be glad when his tour in Iraq is done.

Best of luck with your relation who is in service.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With any luck he may have to go to some sort of advanced training, that will take him a while. He might be able to miss assignment in Iraq if there is a pull out in time.

Best of luck to him no matter where he ends up being stationed.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Not to be insensitive, but if they don't want to go to Iraq, why on earth would they join the military now?

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

hopefully they'll get stationed at our border.

18. Major

Major Member

So when the government tells people "Go to the Superdome for shelter" and then lets the Superdome become a disaster, they don't a responsibility to help those people? You don't think the government has a responsibility to help people that are trapped in a hospital because they couldn't be moved?

19. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Uh.. Freedom isn't free?

I have an old friend from high school, canadian and graduated from Harvard, but he was fighting over there. Got a piece of shrapnel in his leg so he's recovering here, but they are sending him back when he's able to walk again.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I thought one of the most basic functions of a democratic government was to serve and protect it's citizenry, whether the threat was external or not. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I'm not really sure what you're asking in this case though, because I'm sure you wouldn't argue that the police shouldn't stop murders or thieves from murdering or thieving. Of course they should.

There were more problems in New Orleans than the murdering and looting, however. How long did it take for them to even admit there was a problem?