1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was this Yao's best game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sabonis, Feb 12, 2004.

Tags:
?

Which was Yao Ming's Most Impressive Game

1. 11/17/02 - His so-called coming out game, perfect 9-9FG, 20pts against the Lakers on Nat'l TV (W)

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  2. 12/03/02 - As a rookie- 27pts, 18rebs vs. TD and the Spurs (W)

38 vote(s)
    13.1%
  3. 11/21/02- 30pts, 16rebs vs. Mavs to lay to rest the Shawn Bradley comparisons (L)

11 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. 12/18/02- Against the Pacers on TNT - 27pts, 10rebs, 6blks the infamous up and under move (W)

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. 01/17/03- First matchup against Shaq 10pts, 10rebs, 6blks (4 on Shaq) (W)

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. 12/06/03 - 22pts, 20rebs, 4blks over the Pistons (W)

9 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. 01/25/04 - Career-high 37pts (15-23) vs Magic (W)

27 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. 02/11/04 - 29pt, 11reb outdueling Shaquille O'Neal (W)

190 vote(s)
    65.3%
  9. Other...

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

By Yao's admission, he said that this was the best game that he has had in the NBA, but do you agree? It was a good game for him, for several reasons, but I can think of a couple games that stick out to me as being better and displays Yao's progress better.

What do you guys think?

Stuart

2. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

The One against the Magic was his best but Lasst night beat that far and away because of the Person he played against

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

It's not his "best" game, but his most important was probably that game this season where he got knocked to the floor...

4. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I think 1 on 1 vs. A Declerq doesnt hold the same water as 1 on 1 vs. Shaq!

Anyways it seems each time Yao plays against Shaq and the Lakers he is learning and getting better.

J

5. iball

iball Contributing Member

Voted for the Mavs game. I still think it's his most dominant game yet.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yao himself said that the last game was the biggest game of his career. I think the reason for that is that with every other big game Yao had, people were talking about how "This kid is going to be good someday" or "Hey, he's easily the second best center in the league."

The Lakers game had people saying, "Wow. Is he already the best? He outplayed Shaq... maybe he does deserve to start the all-star game..."

It's a change in the way people are going to look at Yao. I hope it's a change in the way his teammates look at him. At halftime in Houston, Mobely described Yao as "our go-to guy, just like Shaq is their go-to guy." Nice to hear, and here's hoping they figure out how to go to him more consistently.

Also? This game was in HOUSTON, TEXAS.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clearly his best game! NO question! Yao never got tired and actually got BETTER, STRONGER as the game went along! When we need points in the 4th, YAO took it at Shaq. RIGHT AT HIM and made buckets! Shaq is as good as it comes. If Yao is going to take it at the best and at the most important time of the game, and succeed? How can this NOT be his best game!?!?

8. sabonis

I think, if anything, this is the most important thing to come of yesterday's game. The building of confidence that they have now, in Yao.

Stuart

9. WNBA

WNBA Member

From the way he was playing, the last one was the best.

But I like the one vs twolves. That's the first time I saw him actually fighting for the boards and chasing every opponants on defensive end.

10. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

This was his best/most important game, no question...

he's still got a ways to go, but it was extremely promising...

11. ayears

ayears Member

I'd like to choose No.2- 12/03/02 - As a rookie- 27pts, 18rebs vs. TD and the Spurs (W) I taped the game and watched it several times.

In that game, Yao showed his unbelievable mobility,his soft touch...and he limited the exertion of Duncan&Robinson excellently. He seemed unstoppable running on the both ends of the court tirelessly that night. What's most impressed me was Yao shaked off Duncan&Robinson and right dunk on them that even made Duncan mad with embarrassing expression... Too funny! ;)

12. haven

haven Member

No.

Why? Because Yao wasn't actually "on" last night. What we say, for a change, was Yao getting the ball after he'd missed a couple of shots. His range wasn't there. His game against Orlando was his best. That game is what happens when Yao has range.

Shaq actually didn't play great defense. He looked lazy and disinterested. He got up for a couple of blocks, but didn't fight hard enough for position. TBH, Shaq tried to play Yao like he would have played himself - letthing him get near the paint, but not close enough to dunk. That's fine for Yao.

And even if he did, he couldn't have stopped Yao - nobody can stop Yao, except Yao, one on one. You just can't stop someone who's 7'5 with a jump shot without help defense...

13. sabonis

A little sidenote from last night's game that I got from another forum...

Yao talked to a local reporter about this same issue.

Reporter: Would you ever play one-on-one with Shaq?
    Yao: Jeff said no way.
    Reporter: But what do you say?
    Yao: Me too

:D

Stuart

14. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I don't think it was Yao's best game. He played really hard, but we've seen him shoot it much better than that. If yao averaged 20 shots a game, he could be a 30 ppg guy even when he's shooting badly.

I hate to complain, but the Yao often flashed wide open deep in the paint without getting the ball, but would get the ball 22 feet away for a shot. The team is still learning how to play with him, but he should get it every time he flashes close to the basket for the hook shot.

15. sabonis

Well, hopefully from now on, those 3-4 flashes in the lane where he has great position, they will take the chance on whipping it in there. I hope the all-star break doesn't mute this momentum in the right direction.

Stuart

16. Toast

Toast Member

I voted for the Mavs game 'cause that was the one I got most excited about.

I almost didn't vote for it, though, 'cause it still ended in a loss, but that first half was simply awesome.

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I vote for last nights game because Yao was not on fire but he never quit on himself and continued to hustle and go after Shaq on both ends. The other important point was the team didn't quit on him either, they kept feeding him even though he wasn't having his best shooting night. No matter how you look at it Yao on a bad night is going to shoot better than 85% of the league on a good night. Yao's off night shooting percentage was 47.6%. The win over the Lakers was a good one but I doubt we will shoot like that against them very often.

Steve 9-11

Cat 7-12

MoT 7-11

I hope we don't have to shoot like that to get a win all the time, but it sure was fun to watch.

18. GranvilleWaders

Mark these words:

there will come a time soon where Ming will light it up for 50 points!! Yes 50+ ..it will take the right combination of him being on shot and teamates going to him time and again but it will happen!

19. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Haven made an interesting point.. Yao's shot was off! but he kept shooting and making things happen. I was pretty happy to see that, Yao being aggresive made so much happen. Shaq claims he didnt have double teams on Yao but late in the game it looked like it!

J

Anyways great game the Rox!

20. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I agree with this 100%.
    It's easy when you are on and the shots fall. It's how you react when the going gets tough that counts.

Against the Lakers, Yao missed early and got blocked several times but he stayed agressive. He practically demanded the ball down the stretch and went at Shaq. He gained a lot of confidence in this game. IMO, this is the turning point of his career.