1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was the 9/4/06 SI article on Shane Battier on the U.S. posted before?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Verbatim, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Did anyone mention the article on Shane B. in SI on 9/4/06. page 82.

It's basically on how coach K was making it extra hard for Shane to make the team because of the Duke factor. And that all the other coaches telling coach K he's crazy to not have Shane on the team. Kinda feels good we have a player like that on the team.

And no, please don't bring up the "we paid too much" rant anymore. It's done and can't be fixed so might as well live with it and hope the best role player and a couple of heathly superstars will do the trick. Maybe the bouncing Greece will make us all forget about M James. Or perhaps a bunch of wins will let us forget about the U Conn fellow who is very happy. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a Reggie Bush @#$@#% I told you so.

I am sorry I can't post it since it was in the magazine but if someone posted it or noted it already then my bad for not seeing it.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Battier led the USA in 3pt % at .476 (he was 10-21), albeit most of them were from the corners, but that's his game. I didn't get to watch too much, but from what I saw, he hustled like crazy on D, and sat in the corner on offense and waited for the kick out. If he can continue to nail that corner shot, that's all that matters to me (it's assumed that his D and hustle will still be there).

3. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I thought it was funny how everytime he gets a rebound, the announcers make a big deal about it. Every hustle play. Every steal. It's nice to have someone on the team that is so well liked because of his hustle but why can't Yao get half of that kind of recognition. It's also funny how when bowen does the same things we chastize him after the game. Sometimes I feel sorry for him, but then I just look at his 2 dollar haircut and get over it. :D

4. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

The problem with Bowen is he shot 29% from the field. If he could actually make a jumper, he'd be somewhat useful.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The ability to sink a shot can be the difference between a minimum salary scrub (Bowen) and a superstar (Dirk). I'm not saying that good shooting is all that Dirk can do, but if Rybo could shoot the ball, he would be much wealthier than his is now.

6. compucomp

compucomp Member

With Bowen it isn't just the lack of a jumpshot, in fact the usual way he scores is by occasionally hitting open jumpers. It's offensive skill in general. Battier has offensive skill, unlike Bowen.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

But Battier really doesn't have that much offensive skill. He's good with body positioning and can seal a man and lay it up and do tip ins and stuff, but he's not that good of a 1-on-1 scorer imo. I think he's great at making baseline cuts and getting a bucket inside as a 2ndary pass recipeint. If you look at his hotzones it seems like all he does is run baseline to baseline.

I don't mind that at all. Battier needs to only take corner 3's like Bowen and take a bunch more than he did in the past. And occasionaly cut to the hoop, and also crash the boards when someone else is shooting.

8. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I think we as rocket fans give bowen too much heat. How well will you preform when on a nightly bases, people just plain dont gaurd you? Stand 10 feet away from you every time you get the ball. Shooting is about confidence and as of right now...he has none. On the otherhand, maybe im just wrong. Maybe he just plain can't shoot the ball. But he is a professional basketball player and he made it into this league for a reason. I guess it's just more fun to release all the frustrations of the season or off-season on someone rather than no-one. I don't think this guy will ever consistantly perform on the offensive end because of his rep. :eek:

9. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

yes, his rep... and the fact that he can't shoot.

I like the spastic D. But there isn't alot more there to offer. He's paid accordingly so all is well as long as the team is well.

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

i saw the SI article online but didnt think to post it, and figured someone else would of anyway.

Battier - good all around guy.

11. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i remember one of the announcers talking about bowens shot..and how its so perfect in practice...that must lead to him not having any confidence..but then again isn't that the factor that separates role players from superstars? (if you kindly ignore skill as part of the equation...)