1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was that the worst call in NFL history?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rolyat93, Sep 24, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I think it's time to cut bait with this one. You're not going to convince him to give up a lost cause, and pretty much everybody else agrees it was a terribly blown call. I'm more concerned with players getting clocked in the head and fighting with no penalty, to be honest. Blown calls will happen, but somebody is going to get seriously hurt if this keeps up.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

SO why is it that every article and every media thing I've seen say different?

http://nfl.si.com/2012/09/25/replacement-refs-botch-packers-seahawks-ending/

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...f-disaster-in-seattle/70001064/1#.UGHD-6Tyb4Y

https://twitter.com/MaseDenver/statuses/250489188124868608

---

Found this article though that supports your argument.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ements-had-a-hand-in-last-nights-debacle-too/

---

As far as the rulebook goes, you are correct... unless there is something specifically highlighted somewhere about possession not being able to be reviewed. The rule isn't specified as to what can be reviewed in an interception or touchdown. Can they review possession, or do they review that the player actually had control of the ball? That's the real question here. Because obviously if you were able to review the fact of who had the possession, then I'd easily blame the replay official. Anyone with two eyes can see that that was an INT. My guess is that it wasn't reviewable because if it was, it would have easily been overturned. I don't know where this rule is specified.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Why not? He has a hand wrapped around the ball and the ball is not touching the ground. Granted, Jennings' grab probably prevented the ball from dropping to the ground and making it easier for Tate to have a hand under it, but it's not conclusive or clear-cut. How do you know for certain Tate wouldn't have made a one handed grab like the Moss highlight?

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It reminds me of the tuck rule, by some crazy arbitrary interpretation of some archaic rule, you can find a way to **** over a defense and make sure you kid is put through college on the strength of some bookie's juice.

5. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I actually had same reaction as kevC to the call. I thought it was clear that Jennings had "more possession" but that they both had "first contact of possession." Whether or not Tate's one-handed-between-Jennings-chest led to an actual possession and at the same time as Jennings is the part up for debate.

Do I think the call was right? It's absolutely common sense to not have called it that way. However I side with kevC that it's also not as clear as everyone is making it out to be, particularly if you take the book by the letter (contrary to people quoting the book).

Just because Jennings had obviously more possession of the ball does not just disqualify Tate from having minimum qualifying possession of the ball.

1 person likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jennings should have batted the ball down instead of trying to catch it.

-Glover Quin

7. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Yeah Looks like they both had possession. hmmm

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

His left arm is between the ball and Jennings' chest as you can see from another angle:

[​IMG]

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

THIS. My biggest gripe with this whole fiasco is how all the attention/blame is going to the replacement refs. Even with them, this entire situation still could have been avoided if the NFL allowed its officials to use the technology available to them to the fullest extent.

I don't want to hear Goodell give me this garbage about "judgment" calls. You can make judgments by watching replays, too. Officials aren't always going to be in the ideal position to see what needs to be seen. It's mind-boggling that the NFL has the technology to help them and refuses to do it in some circumstances.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

[​IMG]

LOL @ the push off. Wowzers.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's just a blaitant flop

Signed,

Metta World Peace

12. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

If You look at this picture, You would say interception right? You can clearly see the ref's arm raising up for a TD.

13. conquistador#11

why is everyone so amazed? the nfl has always had wacky controversial plays..the tuck, the calvin johnson rule..etc.
    Does anyone remember that chistmas day game with the 49ers and a houston team that was not the texans? dishman and 49er receiver got to wrestle for the football in the endzone? maybe I'm remembering it wrong, i was 12.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That picture shows Tate with finger tips on the bottom of the ball, Jennings with both hands around the ball, and another Packer with his hand fully on the ball.

Jennings has possession in this picture, Tate does not.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Been watching the NFL for 17 years now.

I've seen a lot of bizarre **** happen.

Never seen a game end like this though.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

the tuck rule still wins. a made up rule on the spot and it kept a team out of the SUPERBOWL!!!! this also started the brady/belichek/pats dynasty. that one play changed the nfl universe forever.

this is a really bad call in week 3.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It didn't keep us from the Super Bowl technically. It was the divisional round.

I still have nightmares about that play and I still can't look at Tom Brady or any Patriots player for that matter without a small amount of rage being kindled up.

Vinatieri made a hell of a kick, but that call was so back-breaking. Woodson stripped Brady plain as day, but because he pump-faked 1 second prior its somehow an incomplete pass?

Its the same principle as the "catch" last night. If thats what you interpret the rules as, then either you are dead wrong or the rule is completely stupid.

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

NFL doing damage control as expected with their statement.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/75958/nfl-statement-on-monday-night-controversy

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

the tuck rule sucks but are people implying it wasn't an actual "rule" when Hoculi announced it? i'm asking because i've never heard that it was made up.

20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Jennings had control first. should have been an INT.