1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Schaub the last straw?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zaam, Dec 6, 2013.

1. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

When Kubiak inserted Schaub back into the lineup last night, it raised some unsettling questions. I get that Kubes is trying to win the game; however, bringing him back to win a meaningless game makes zero sense unless you intend to have him around next year. With Keenum struggling, I could see Kubiak deciding to start the more effective Shaub for the last three games.

As far as Keenum goes, the jury is still out. Bringing Schaub back into the mix like this only clouds the situation further and takes away valuable time to finish evaluating Case. He's probably not the long term answer, but until that decision is finalized, his trial period needs to supersede any notion that winning games at this point is useful. The most important thing the Texans can do now is to work toward addressing their quarterback question. It's not about tanking for the #1 pick. It's about figuring out what you have and what you need.

I can't see how the owner's perspective would be much different, and Kubiak's actions regarding Schaub represent nothing more than the aimless flailing of a drowning man.

Note that Keenum has been named the starter for the rest of the season. Kubiak was on his way out already, but I think this may have hastened his demise.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

6+ starts is a pretty good evaluation time for an UDFA to show something.

He's played some good teams, some awful teams, and some mediocre teams... all with similar results (i.e. - regression).

I don't see anybody on the current Texans staff to possibly become a miracle worker and correct the mistakes that Case is making for him.

Not saying that Schaub should be playing... just that Keenum likely isn't the future starter of this team, regardless of what he does (or doesn't do) the rest of the season.

3. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Agreed.
    I don't see him as the future starter either, but he has shown some glimmers of promise, and continuing to evaluate him costs you nothing at this point. There's a lot that Keenum doesn't get yet due to his lack of experience. You might not know much more about him with three more games under his belt, but it's foolish to close the door right now if you don't have to.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When next season starts. . . . who is your QB and backup QB?

the question for me .. . and not being a smartass but . . .
    If you think your Backup could *NEVER* be a starter in this league
    shouldn't you be looking to constantly upgrade that position

If you feel Keenum can NEVER be a starter then . . . why should he be your backup next year???? Esp if you go get a rookie also.

Rocket River

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Schaub almost won the game last night. It's clear that McNair doesn't want anymore wins this year. McNair want Keenum to play because we have no chance to win with him at QB. This is what true tanking looks like. McNair needs losses, and he doesn't need Kubiak and Schaub screwing everything up with only three games left.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not all backups are potential starters... just how this league works.

Most good teams are screwed if their starting QB is hurt.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Case Keenum is horribly slow at going through his progressions. He is slow to see what's developing and you can see him trying. That's his biggest flaw but it was being forced on him by Kubes just a little too much this early on.

Some rookies come in handling that better but most struggle in the beginning. Just look how RGIII struggled the beginning of this season after he was asked to be more of a traditional pocket QB. Case Didn't do that UH and on the practice squad much.

Maybe he will never get it down but throwing him in from the practice squad to starting in the middle of the season and expecting him to just get it is a bit much too expect.

Still Case has most of the other stuff a decent arm, accuracy, he is mobile enough and can throw on the run and in fact he seems to do better on the run because he has more time to find his open recievers. Given more time he is a better passer. What he needs is experience so that his progressions become automatic. Perhaps no amount of time will make that happen. But if it does than there is no reason he can't be a starter in this league.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If he could learn to pick up blitzes he would be much better (obviously). I think Kubes was told not to play Matt anymore unless Case got injured -- IMO it was the last straw.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... but regardless of the situation (UDFA vs. 1st rounder, stud prospect vs. journeyman, young player vs. veteran)... you still want to see a semblance of improvement over ~ 7 games.

Chances are, as more film is out there, things only get worse for Case vs. better.

Again, I'm all for giving him this opportunity... just don't expect much more from him with an "off-season"... nor do I think just giving him the job outright is the best thing for him, or for this team.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I notice people throw UNDRAFTED on Case often

Do these same people thing 5th Round Draft pick YATES is better?

Rocket River

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think Kubiak would have been fired earlier, if he hadn't had the stroke. I do think Mcnair wanted Case out there to sink or swim until the end of the season, but Kubiak probably thought winning some games would save his job and figured that meant benching Case two separate times. Firing Kubiak right after the stroke would have been a PR nightmare, so now that he's much better, benched Case again, and lost again to Jax, it was a perfect time to do it and have all the reasons in the world to explain it.

12. The Stig

The Stig Member

Can someone touch base with me on Schaub's contract situation? Can we just release him in the off season or what? How much of a cap hit will we take if we did that?

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Poison contract

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Yes!!!

There was somewhat of a catch 22 in Kubiaks mind. Like it or not, Schaub DID give us a better chance to win yesterday. From a game by game perspective Kubiak made the correct decision by trying to win. What he failed to realize is that it is not about winning now. Clearly McNair has moved past this season and that disconnect between Kubaik and him is a perfect reason to fire him.

15. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

schaub will be on the roster. that's the only justification i can see for continuing to play him. they are not taking that cap hit

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

As someone mentioned on sports radio...I really think Kubiak was playing for his job last night. There really is no reason to bring in Schaub if it werent for a chance to redeem himself and try winning the game. The Texans were trying to win the game last night. Kubiak desperately plead his team to do something after getting down 14-0. The team rallied around and scored. Right before the half, the Texans had one more chance to score with about 1:20 left in the 1st half, and Keenum threw a terrible pass straight to Ball for an easy INT.

Case had 3 drives in the 3rd. 1st drive...drive stalled on Jac side!; 2nd drive->results in a made FG; 3rd drive->stalled and punt AND THEN MATT SCHAUB ENTERS!

17. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

why are people saying mcnair implied that during the press conference, that schaub playing last night was the last straw?

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Wrong. Schaub will be cut, 3.5mil cap hit in '14, 7mil cap hit in '15.

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Because he announced keenum as the starter. #payattention

20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yeah. Having your team booed by your traveling fans for inserting your washed up QB will definitely push the owner in that direction.