1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Corretta Scott King a Liberal?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Feb 10, 2006.

?

Was Corretta Scott King a Liberal?

1. Yes

90.6%
  2. No

9.4%
  1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She opposed the death penalty, warrantless wiretapping of American citizens, the Vietnam War and the Iraq War. She favored women's rights and equal rights for gays and lesbians, including the right to a same-sex marriage. She also favored non-violent protests of the sort that are ridiculed out of hand by a few posters here. In fact, when Cindy Sheehan was camped out in Crawford, she called her to offer her support. Not only that but she was even a vegan.

So, easy question. Was she a liberal or wasn't she? And why or why not?

lib·er·al (l?b'?r-?l, l?b'r?l)
    adj.
    Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
    Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
    Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.

#1 Ubiquitin, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Somebody needs to define the terms "Liberal" and "Conservative" in their current context before I can respond to this poll.

The meaning of the two terms is so out of whack with their dictionary definitions that we need to set some guidelines pronto.

3. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Didn't we just have this thread???

Am I in the GARM?

What do you think of VanGundy?

Is he a liberal?

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Well....he is from NEW YORK CITY!!!

:eek: ;)

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

NEW YORK CITY?????

get a rope.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Yeah now...

play nice....

:cool:

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I voted yes because everybody else did too.

8. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Edit: Whoops sorry. I was in the wrong thread.

9. mc mark

If advocating for the poor and downtrodden is being a liberal, then yes, she was a liberal.

If wanting equality for all is a liberal trait, then yes! She was a liberal.

If wanting the best for all Americans and wanting them all to reach the American dream is being a liberal, then yes! She was quite the liberal.

If having the freedom to think as you wish and freedom of conscience is being liberal, then yes! She was liberal

If having the right to express your views, whatever they may be is being liberal, then yes, once again, she was a liberal.

If having universal education and healthcare are liberal traits, again I say, she was a liberal.

God Bless her!

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I voted no. She was a Christian.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I voted no since she spied on her husband for J Edgar Hoover, her real love interest.

12. mc mark

Isn't that really semantics?

It's a good question though. Are christian values inherently liberal or conservative values?

Even though conservatives seemed to have co-opted christian values, IMHO I believe christian values are inherently more liberal.

Tend to the poor
    Forgive your enemies
    Provide for the less fortunate

13. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Then you should have voted yes since Jesus was a Liberal.

14. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

The favorite quote of liberals everywhere. Too bad Jesus was neither a liberal nor a conservative.

As far as Jesus being a liberal, I have a feeling he might find problems with that whole abortion thing you guys want.

15. Mulder

edit: since you want to confine it one topic at a time, I think Jesus would have a problem with tax cuts for the rich... and btw nobody wants a woman to have an abortion. It is an issue of choice.

http://www.jesusisaliberal.org/

Why is Jesus a Liberal?

Webster's dictionary defines a Liberal as one who is open minded, not
    strict in the observance of orthodox, traditional or established forms or
    ways. Jesus was a pluralist Liberal who taught that one need not
    conform to strict and orthodox views of God, religion, and life. He
    rejected greed, violence, the glorification of power, the amassing of
    wealth without social balance, and the personal judging of others, their
    lifestyles and beliefs.

Over and over again, He taught us to believe in and live a spiritual and
    ethical life based in our essential, inherent goodness. What Jesus
    promoted was succinct set of spiritual principals and a way of life
    based upon the of love, compassion, tolerance, and a strong belief in
    the importance in giving and of generosity to those in need.

While not Biblical scholars, our common sense understanding of His
    lessons as philosophically and politically Liberal is founded upon Jesus'
    own words (see quotes below), modern interpretations of Liberation
    Theology, and in the positive, loving and compassionate application of
    His teachings - from the many early Saints to Mother Theresa and
    Liberation Theology.

Certainly, Jesus brought a radically Liberal theology to the Orthodox
    believers of his time. Jesus IS a Liberal even today because now more
    than ever, His principals align with the very core of Liberal Beliefs.

Biblical Quotes Supporting the Belief that Jesus Is A Liberal

Peacemaking, not War Making: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children
    of God. [Matthew 5:9] Resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to
    him the other also. [Matthew 5:39] I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you,
    do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite-fully use you, and persecute you;
    [Matthew 5:44]

The Death Penalty: Thou shalt not kill [Matthew 5:21]

Crime and Punishment: If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone at her.
    [John 8:7] Do not judge, lest you too be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be
    judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. [Matthew 7:1 & 2.]

Justice: Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
    [Matthew 5:6] Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy [Matthew 5:7] But if ye forgive
    not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. [Matthew 6:15]

Corporate Greed and the Religion of Wealth: In the temple courts [Jesus] found men selling cattle,
    sheep and doves and other sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords,
    and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money
    changers and overturned their tables. [John 2:14 & 15.] Watch out! Be on your guard against all
    kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. [Luke 12.15.]
    Truly, I say unto you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. [Matthew 19:23]
    You cannot serve both God and Money. [Matthew 6:24.]

Paying Taxes & Separation of Church & State: Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are
    Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. [Matthew 22:21]

Community: Love your neighbor as yourself. .[Matthew 22:39] So in everything, do to others as
    you would have them do to you.[Matthew 7:12.] If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess
    and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. [Matthew 19:21]

Equality & Social Programs: But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the
    blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the
    resurrection of the just. [Luke 14:13 &14.]

Public Prayer & Displays of Faith: And when thou pray, thou shall not be as the hypocrites are: for
    they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be
    seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou pray, enter into
    thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret… [Matthew 6:6
    & 7]

Strict Enforcement of Religious Laws: If any of you has a son or a sheep and it falls into a pit on
    the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? [Matthew 12:11] The Sabbath was made for
    man, and not man for the Sabbath. [Mark 2:27.]

Individuality & Personal Spiritual Experience: Ye are the light of the world. [Matthew 5:14]

16. mc mark

I would hazard to say that Jesus would say something to the affect that "it's none of your business and you shouldn't judge, that's my father's job."

just a thought

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I don't think he would have a problem with not using the industrial prison complex as the means to prevent abortions.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone, except for true believers who can hurl away.

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Well then, let's legalize ALL murder because only the actual murderers will have to suffer the consequences of their choice.... right?

20. Mulder

stretch a bit shall we...