1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Clyde the Kicker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texas Stoke, May 26, 2007.

1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

After reading Clutch's article, I'm thinking - yeah, he was.

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1402/adelman_press_conference_breakdown/

Clyde's Endorsement
    Alexander opened things up and had high praise for Adelman, talking about his ability, his track record with centers and his NBA resume. Then came the bomb: Les stated why he didn't do a more extensive search and had to get Adelman right away.
    "I was having lunch with Clyde Drexler and Clyde said, 'Oh he's wonderful! He's unbelievable. If you can get him you'd be so fortunate. He's the perfect guy for this team. He'll know how to put the players in the right spot.'", said Alexander. "He went on and on for 20 minutes. And I respect Clyde's opinion greatly. With that I said we can't lose this guy, we have to get him. Clyde loves him."

Yikes.

Drexler the player endorsing his former coach would have meant much more to me if I didn't just witness an entire season of Drexler the broadcaster endorsing every human being associated with the league, deserved or not. Clyde calling Rafer Alston a "top 5 point guard in the NBA" and "darkhorse for the All-Star game" immediately sprung to mind.

I like Adelman too, but I would have respected that more had Allen Leavell been the one to push Les over the edge. Little scary.

I cant stand to think that the owner of the Rockets could be that easily induced, but I think Clyde's 20 minute Rick Adelman ass-licking may have been the Straw that Broke the Camels back for Jeff Van Gundy.

In my mind, I think Clydes gushing over Adelman sealed the deal and made up Les's mind to fire JVG and hire Adelman. Otherwise I think he would have listened to Morey and JVG would still be the coach of the Rockets.

I really think Les is that petty and stupid.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No, I think they read the BBS.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't know if petty and stupid are the right words to describe Les. Jerk, teflon-man and liar come to mind. I think this is another smokescreen. Les had already decided on the new coach and wants us to think Clyde's comments were a defining moment. I don't believe that for one second!

4. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure any rational and sane person understands that Clyde really has no idea what he is talking about.

5. Texas Stoke

I chose the wrong words there, definitely. Surely youre not a petty stupid man if you are a billionaire.

I can see how they could be two peas in the pod, i mean listening to Clyde all year... damn...I don't know....whatever

6. Texas Stoke

Thats what I would think dude but what the hell...what if it was?

COULD you believe that ****...OMFG.

I seriously would think about not watching the Rockets anymore. unbelievable

I'm not trying to be Vescey here but I could see that going down and making up Les's mind.

I mean the dude couldn't say a few words and thank JVG, thats why I could see him being on the perception level of Clyde's outward shell of class and dignified opinon. hahaha

#6 Texas Stoke, May 26, 2007
    Last edited: May 26, 2007
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What amuses me is that Les thought telling people about him being swayed by Clyde would give the choice credibility.

Adelman is a fine choice otherwise. Les and Jeff just can't work together any more.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I don't think so, see, its like they say in retail: "5 good customers has the same effect as one bad customer". If someone compliments your store, it doesn't really do much unless there are tons of other compliments behind it. However, one naysayer can drive away lots of business. I don't think one single person put Ricky over, it was just there wasn't any or a lot of negative about him.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe that Clyde the broadcaster is different than Clyde the friend.

DD

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Leslie isn't an idiot - you don't become a billionaire by making monumental business decisions based on the advice from people suffering from borderline mental r****dation.

As someone in this thread said earlier - the funny part in all of this is that Les is so out of touch with reality that he would think that we are dumb enough to believe that a ringing endorsement from Clyde would hold even an ounce of credibility and be enough to sell everyone on the decision.

Yea, I take that back. Les is an idiot. That along with a long list of other things.

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

C'mon. Adelman was picked for the Rockets the moment that Golden State finished off Dallas. Les really didn't even consider anyone else. The "kicker" was when the Rockets allowed 3 offensive rebounds in the closing seconds of Game 7, so Les could have his excuse.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Clyde has a loose mouth. If he saw me play at my drop-in he would praise me as an 'top 5 all star future hall of fame community centre baller'

13. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

clyde played under adelman for many years and went to two NBA finals in '90 and '92. he certaintly has more insight on adelman than anyone on this board.

just because someone is not a good broadcaster doesn't mean he isnt intelligent or a smart basketball mind.

14. drpepper

drpepper Member

Wow! Les pulls a Dick Cheney.

Les knew he wanted to hire Adleman all along. He knew he was a top five coach available right now. So, he gets together with Clyde and brings his name up. He knew Clyde would drool over him since he coached him to the finals. Les then plays ignorant and says (for the record) Clyde recommended him so much he had to hire him.

If Adleman bombs in Houston, guess who looks bad....

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What kind of smart bball mind thinks Rafer is a darkhorse allstar?

16. Pocket Rockets

so you're saying adelman is a bad coach?

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This is true. The bbs tends to engage in group think.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

wah wah wah...get over it. gundy is gone! :D

19. Texas Stoke

Im over it bro. Go Rockets. Go Adelman. Go Les. Go Power dancers. Go YOF's. Go Rockets03. We need to win a championhship darnit and get Richmond going off again. Remember how awesome that was. It was like Mardi Gra in Houston. Its all good.

20. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Clyde, the broadcaster, is just terrible. No doubt. But I'm getting sick of people thinking he's an idiot because of it. Murph was a boderline HOF inductee, Clyde was a no-brainer. But one is perceived as knowledgable and one made a difficult midseason adjustment that enabled us to get another ring (just bring it Tinman :p ).

Regarding Les, I believe he's full of it, in terms of the P.R., but I've said over and over again JVG should get another year and I'm still glad he didn't.

Les has sounded like an idiot for five years now (at least), but I think he did the right thing despite his many, many wrong verbally stated reasons.

I just wonder how many of them he actually said.