1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Clutch City 'luck'?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 25, 2015.

?

was clutch city luck?

1. no, clutch city was heart and toughness and greatness

103 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. only non rockets fans think it was luck

38 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin fan, go find the Hornets, I'm not talking about the basketball team.

2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

3. tinman

Supporting Member

No, you are LOF, making up things that don't exist.

The boss knows who you are

4. dabush713

dabush713 Member

I have to say, the events surrounding Clutch City were lucky...

Lucky for MJ that he wasn't there for us to whoop his butt!!! Amirite? Huh, who's with me

*reaches hand in air for high-five

5. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y-FbhBM9uvU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"It's a good thing those guys can't ever get out of the West, because we have no answer for that monster in the middle."

-Michael Jordan

7. dabush713

dabush713 Member

Lol I wasn't kidding. Look at that man ball!

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Overall you seem like a Rockets fan because you said we would have beat the Bulls if we played them, but Maxwell did keep Jordan in check during the regular season games. I'm sure Jordan would have played better, but regardless, it was going to take more shots by Jordan to get the same numbers. And that would have hurt the team. Jordan teams were markedly worse when he was averaging his highest numbers. Look it up if you don't believe me. His teammates made him better, just like he made them better. Those Bulls had great teams, but so did we.

Wait a second..

Tinman, you forgot that the "out of basketball shape" Jordan scored 55 points against the defending Eastern Conference champs 10 days after his return. The shape argument holds no water. The 1995 Bulls were not only inferior and complete, but they were far inferior even though they had a full squad.

#BEST OUT OF SHAPE PLAYER EVER #MJ #55 #AGAINST THE KNICKS #WHO WON THE EAST THE PRIOR YEAR #TWITTER HASHTAGS ARE DUMB

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's a pity that we have to endure this absurd argument every year. Jordan himself, as has been pointed out (more than once), said that, "It's a good thing those guys can't ever get out of the West, because we have no answer for that monster in the middle." He also said that Max was a pain in the arse (to paraphrase) to play against. More to the point, we had a winning record against them in the early '90's. All things that have been pointed out here over and over and over again. Had we played them and Jordan (having never left) in '94 instead of the Knicks, it would have been a 7 game classic, a classic we would have won, in my humble opinion, and had the Bulls made it to the Finals in '95 with a healthy Jordan (and he was healthy and in shape, fools), we would have taken them in less than 7 games, because they simply weren't as good a team as previous squads in the early '90's (when we were beating them on a regular basis during the regular season).

Where do people come up with this crap? With all due respect.

10. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

We were lucky to win back to back championships. We were lucky the Rockets were moved to Houston. We were lucky Hakeem was available when we had the #1 pick. We were lucky that John Starks went 1-17. We were lucky Anderson missed 4 straight free throws in game 1 of the 95 Finals.

Every championship team needs a little bit of luck. That being said, I never want to guarantee a win over Michael Jordan, but I do not think his departure was the reason we won 2 titles.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The fact that we did not have to play Seattle (who had our number) in the two championship years was lucky.

12. verysimplejason

The quirks of building a team... You lose some, you win some. There's no really perfect recipe to build a team against all types of schemes. At the end of the day, some adjustments can be made but luck really plays a part in getting a championship. It's not everything but it must not be underestimated. :)