1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Clutch City 'luck'?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 25, 2015.

?

was clutch city luck?

1. no, clutch city was heart and toughness and greatness

103 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. only non rockets fans think it was luck

38 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

brainwashed.
    nike.

2. ThaShark316_28

I stick by what I said. 1985 Bears offense did nothing in the NFC playoffs. Payton was under 3 yards a carry that January.

Fo Fo Fo. One of the overall BEST teams ever. They won every playoff game by 30? Bounce here, bounce there, they are in a 2-2 series with NYK in round 1. They got the breaks.

Orel and Kirk? I'll refuse to acknowledge this complete and utter example of getting lucky. Vin Scully even told you it was "hoping to get lucky". ("Talk about a roll of the dice; this is it!")

Like I said, you NEED luck. I don't get why you folks pretend like luck is bad. So damned silly. It's not a BAD thing, AT ALL.

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

With all due respect to Clutch, you gotta stop with your kissarse.

1 person likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Players can't control the path they end up on unless you're Kobe and force your way to a top franchise.

You end up with someone like Tim Duncan being called GOAT PF when i can easily see KG carrying the Spurs to as many rings had he not rotted majority of his career in Fargo. Okey then?

Dream did have to endure years and years of garbage. We were a garbage run franchise before Les. Weren't we like below .500 when Moses led the Rockets to the Finals in 81? 86 was the start of something wonderful and it was robbed by injuries. Meanwhile Chicago trades Olden Polynice for a future HOF'er in the 87 draft while the Rockets draft Dave Feitl, Doug Lee, Derrick Chievous, and John Turner before finally getting Horry and Sam in 92. Meanwhile San Antonio continuously puts out contending teams and manages to have 1 losing season in which David Robinson sat out when he didnt need to anymore and tanked for another HOF'er. These 2 moves Chi and SA make would go on to equal 11 championships in 25 years

Point is not too many teams win championships. The outline for winning franchises are already there til new ownership comes along and changes things ala Mark Cuban. Today that may be a bit different. Seeing as how players would suffer living in Cleveland just to play with LeBron, but if the CAVS fail, it's not surprising. They've been a failure franchise since their inception. They still continuously make terrible moves.

Here's another what if for ya. What if LeBron was drafted by a bottom feeding Western Conference team? LeBron more than anyone in the GOAT conversation has had the easiest road to success in his career playing in that pitiful excuse of a conference. Before this past playoff round, he had only beaten 5 50 win teams in his playoff career compared to Jordan beating 20 50 Win teams in like 8 seasons. Hell. Hakeem beat more 50 win teams in 1 playoff compared to LeBron's entire career. These things just don't feel fair and that's why we play the what if game.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

In Chinese culture, there's a lot contributed to luck, i.e. the lucky draw.

Now that Lin is with the Bobcats, there's no question that they are looking at a deep run. Perhaps we haven't seen Clutch point guard play like Lin, since Billups or Cassell.

The real question is can Charlotte challenge the 72-10 Bulls record? Lin is bound to have a couple of off games and perhaps misses one due to injury (unlucky). So, my prediction is 79-3.

Everyone know that the Rockets got lucky with back to back championships. But, 2 weeks of stat stuffing is a prelude to greatness. Linsanity 79-3!

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

I get pissed when fans say *if michael jordan played. Because of course he DID play in 95 and lost to a team we would sweep. Shaq says if they won game 1, they would have won the championship...haha rrright because losing the first game was an excuse to get swept? A sweep is a sweep.

Anyway, what non Rockets fans SHOULD be saying is IF Jordan never retired. When you bring that into the equation that means Jordan never has rust and plays through 94 with the same team they had in 93. As a die hard Rockets fan, i think if that were the case, the Bulls would beat the Rockets in 6 in 94 with every game being close. NOW. 1995 is a different story. The Bulls had retooled the roster and lost Horace Grant to Orlando. I still think they don't get past Orlando and even if they did, Rockets win in 95 easy. I don't think there's a single team in NBA history that could beat that 1995 Rockets(not bc of talent but bc of chemistry and destiny) team except maybe the 96 Bulls and 01 Lakers. **** the Lakers run of only losing 1 game in the 01 playoffs. What the Rockets did in 1995 was more impressive than that.

7. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

why are rockets fans so insecure about the titles we won? we were champions twice. just enjoy it and quit being so insecure.

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I see the title.

"Wth!? Who is hating on clutch city!? Gotta check this out!"

See it's a tinman poll...

"F*** me! b*stard got me again!"

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Please don't respond people.

10. Cranberry_Juice

[​IMG]

Hakeem led the Rockets in scoring as did Mcgrady. How is that for an analogy?

1 person likes this.
  11. showa13

showa13 Member

Every championship won in any and every sporting competition ever has had some sort of luck involved. So yes there was some luck, but at the end of the day skill and talent prevails.

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

[​IMG]

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Uh, the Rockets scoring leader in 2007 and 2008 was Yao Ming.

apparently that's a little known fact to some people here.

But go ahead and keep clapping in your naive Rockets history manner.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I dare you to say that to Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo

15. baubo

baubo Member

I actually wanted to answer "Yes" just to spite the topic creator but unfortunately no such choice. Seriously who the f*** cares what some random LOF says anyway? You'd think Clutchfans of places I don't have listen to this "If only had Jordan not retired" bulls*** that I've listened to for as long as I've watched basketball.

16. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

are you saying tracy mcgrady never led the rockets in scoring? you need to brush up on your houston rockets history my friend. you must be a relatively new fan! welcome to #rednation!

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

don't do that to him! tinmac can't handle the truth that we spit!

18. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Don't know if it was posted but even Jordan said in an interview that he is happy we couldn't get past the Sonics because we always gave them such a hard time.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

heyparter knows rockets history, because he loves the rockets more than you

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You never know - the Rockets might have beat the Bulls in the NBA finals those two years. Hakeem really gave Chicago problems in the middle and matched up so well against them.

Chicago was a great team, but to say the Rockets would not have been able to beat them is just not to understand the game of basketball.