1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Arrested Development too smart?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm a huge fan of the series and just finished watching the entire thing again on DVD over the past couple of months. When I got to the end, I was once again sad to realize it was over so soon.

So I got to thinking...was it simply too smart for its own good?

If you've seen the series you know how the show is layed out. Almost every single joke is extremely witty, and more often than not it is an inside joke tied back to previous episodes. Even now I regularly find myself noticing jokes that I missed (often because I was probably still laughing about the one before it). Sadly, I think a lot of viewers (as stupid as it sounds) actually need a laugh track to guide them through a show and point out the funny parts.

Of course, I wouldn't go back and change the show in any way, but I can't help but wonder if it would have lasted longer if it were more accessible. I guess it's a Catch 22 in that way.

What do you guys think?

R.I.P. my favorite show in the past 10 years. :(

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Yea, it was way too smart for the average person. Aside from that, all the running jokes in the series made it difficult to just watch at any point in the series. I loved it, the only other show that has made me laugh more is Mystery Science Theater 3000.

3. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

There is always money in the banana stand! I too miss this show. Wish HBO or Showtime would have picked it up.

4. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I just started watching it a few days ago and am now on Season 2. I LOVE it! Brilliant comedy.

I think Tobias and Gob are the best characters on the show. The actors are really good

5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

tennesee was an awesome song
    and yes they were too smart
    they should have done more music

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

I think the writers/producers were convinced that the characters were not likable which they spell out for you at the "Save our Bleuths" party.

I for one, would have liked to try Lyndsey's hot ham water.

7. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

We've still got a chance for a movie.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Simple answer is yes, it is probably is too smart for its own good. And sadly, the esoteric nature of the jokes in the latter episodes probably just confused people who were told how awesome it was and tuned in only to find a myriad of references to which they had no clue about.

Jonny No-name doesn't want a super constant plot-twisting, inside joke, dysfunctional family comedy on the network where 30 million people would rather watch girls and gay guys get their singing dreams crushed by a random British *******.

If it had came out on HBO or Showtime it would without question still be running.

9. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I almost died laughing watching the episode where they lifted Gob with a crane in his banana suit and he stuck his arms out like he was flying. Man that image plays over and over in my mind and I laugh everytime.

10. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Too smart, too funny, too serially-based...all of these things (and more) were the death sentence for the series. Mainstream media (Fox, etc.) can't shoot that far to one end of the bell curve and expect it to last.

Arrested Development is one of the greatest shows to ever grace the small screen. It's a shame that it had to end, but it has since been propelled to legendary cult status.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The show lasted for 2 2/3 seasons. That's REALLY good. I don't know why people keep complaining about it being too short. 55 some episodes. Look at a show like Freaks and Geeks that only made it one season. That's a tragedy.

Just be thankful that it never took a nosedive. That none of the actors left. And it wasn't that it was too smart. It was marketed horribly and moved around a lot.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GP7SCwRMbzw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GP7SCwRMbzw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

IMO the third season took a bit of a dive like the writers were running out of ideas. Hopefully they can bring back the series as DVD movie releases.

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Small scale town + George Michael on jetpack + Tobias in mole suit (looking like Godzilla) + Japanese investors = me laughing so hard I cried

Man, I loved that show. Glad I've got all 3 seasons on DVD.

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I miss that show. Probably the best thing on TV in the last 15 years.

15. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

The smart is what made it funny. Unfortunately the TV-watching masses don't want to have to think to get their laughs.

16. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Me to dumb to get it.

17. tomato

tomato Member

I liked the show, but it could be a bit grating with it's...dandyness. I was glad it was over, so I'd never have to see it again.

18. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

No, MEOWGI, it's just not from the late 70s or 80s...

;)

19. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Taste the sad Michael.

20. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

taste kind of like happy