1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warriors reach verbal agreement with Maggette

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Jul 8, 2008.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Clippers can't help that they are the Clippers. That means whatever CAN go wrong, WILL go wrong. DTS and Elgin Baylor are kryptonite to winning basketball.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Pretty soon, there is going to be a thread about how Morey was a failure for not signing Maggette, and how cheap Les Alexander wouldn't offer more than $50 million to Maggette.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

you are correct and he was only making the minimum so
    the lle represents a raise for him as well, maybe there is a chance.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Not at all shocking, anything different (MLE for Maggette) would have been shocking..
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3767676

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

all these teams filling there cap space does that help the rockets with landry??

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am highly amused at Baron Davis' plight.

I hope that team sucks.

8. The Brian

The Brian Member

honestly, though they paid for him, maggette is a good pickup for the warriors.

20 point scorer, strong player, decent rebounder. he would replace davis, but they have a budding superstar in monta ellis, and some strong pieces.

they probably won't make the playoffs, but they'll still be dangerous. not too much drop off from last year's roster if at all.

9. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Problem for the Warriors is that they lost their primary playmaker in Davis. He was the engine that made them tick, and if anyone thinks Monta Ellis can fill his shoes, they're wrong. Ellis was never and will never be a point guard. They have a bunch of nice, athletic wings, but who's gonna play the point for them now?

And seeing as Maggette rejected the Spurs, I doubt we'll get Barry now, the LLE isn't that significant of a raise for him to move, and they Spurs will wanna hang on to him probably. Plus the Spurs have a more proven winning record in the postseason than us anyway.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Maggette IMO is a good fit. Ellis, Jackson and Maggette are going to be nearly as hard to match up as the previous group. They also improve in rebounding, a critical team weakness.

Basically the development of Ellis (22) as a PG plus their young bigs Biedrins (22), Wright (20) and Randolph (18) will determine their fate. Rebounding and interior defense held that team back.

Remeber, this was a +500 team 2 years in a row with some solid vets and lot of high upside young guys. It is not like Maggette went to a cellar dweller. I like them better than the Clipps, and could be in the mix with Denver & Portland for the last playoff spot. More if some other WC winners sustain key injuries which can always happen (one of our big 2, Duncan, Dirk, Paul, Kobe, Deron, Nash or Amare).

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You hit the nail on the head. Unless the Warriors get a legit PG, that team is in serious trouble. Switching BD out for Maggette will make them much worse. Anyone who thinks Monta Ellis is a PG is dreaming. Think of an NFL offense without a QB on the field that snaps the ball directly to a running back every single play, game after game. Nellie's offense will crash without a QB. BD's presence on the floor took a tremendous amount of pressure off of Monta Ellis and allowed him to just focus on his own offense without much responsibility. The Warriors MUST get a replacement. I'm sure a trade will happen, perhaps the long-rumored Al Harrington for Kirk Hinrich.

Unless injuries derail them, there is a 99% chance the Blazers will finish in front of the Warriors.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're probably right.Someone might say that.

5 years for 50M is too much for him. The Rockets would have had to offer Scola plus Battier/Head to have a chance,which wasn't worth it IMO.

Last year I learned a lesson.DM did the right thing to approach Lewis with the MLE,my response was why waste your time for something that is highly unlikely to happen,but that showed that the organization valued him even though they couldn't give him much.

I don't think it would have been wrong to do the same thing with Maggette even though it would have been highly improbable for him to accept such an offer.I don't blame DM for not trying to get him by any means though.

Unfortunately Landry's situation doesn't make it easy for them to get anyone for even half of the MLE.Let's hope that Landry will come back healthy for around 2.5 M. It won't be enough by any means but it will be a positive step.

13. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

i think the warriors can still be good all they need to do is keep monte elis n move him to point gaurd im sure he can play the position

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has struggled in that role in the past. He needs an experienced hand to help him out IMO.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

great news.

money talks, and i'm really happy that the warriors outbid the spurs.

i'm not even worried about the warriors. ellis hasn't shown any PG skills. he's basically a much better version of luther head. neither can run an offense.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Everyone wins with this deal:
    Warriors are going to regret this contract in no time - he's not worth more than 6 or 7 per and he's getting 10 per.
    Clippers are worse off with their roster getting gutted.
    We didn't overpay and saw 2 West "playoff contenders" hamstring themselves.

Good times.

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

LOL. I love the assumption that anyone with ball handling skills under a certain height can simply just play point guard at the NBA level.

Monta Ellis isn't a point guard.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You guys are sorely mistaken ... Hoopsworld was out in front of this days ago and confirmed Maggette was going to the Spurs.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=150678

Golden State? Pfft, yeah right. And to think you almost got me out of the line for my Maggette Spurs jersey.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I have to say that I'm not surpised Maggette went for the money. I'm glad SA didn't get a hold of him and that The ROX didn't overreact and blow or ME on him either. He's a good player but is Injury prone, soft and I definitly don't think he's worth 50 mill.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. Anyone else think Brand may also be getting some payback for Sterling trying to low-ball his contract extension, the same year Steve signed his max extension with Houston? The Clippers ended up matching a full max offer from the Heat, so Elton got his bread.