1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warren Moon a Hall of Famer!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Fatty FatBastard

2. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I am sorry that I am late to this. But I LOVED Warren Moon.

But Hall of Famer?

Please.

Can anyone name me ONE Hall of Fame moment from Moons career? Any big playoff games? I remember choking. But any memorable moments that made you say WOW? Cuz he threw for 4000yds? So did Vinny Testaverde. But lets be honest. Good, yes. Hall of Fame?

Jim Kelly and him are just not in that league.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sorry Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton -

Almu just kicked you out of the HOF.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If peyton manning continues to put up his regular numbers for another 5-10 years but his team continues playoff failures, does he not belong in the hall of fame.

plus, as much as no one wants to talk about it, the fact that he is the first black quarterback to have an extensive career as a starter, and he put up great numbers during that career is a factor.

5. msn

msn Member

You're right. Because Jim Kelly always had Thurman Thomas to help carry the load, it's possible that Jim couldn't carry Moon's jock.

Really, this is one stupid argument, the weakest point of which has already been exposed by others. What strikes me about your argument is that it seems you may have only watched playoff games. Did you know that Moon once threw for over 500 yards against the Chiefs? And that's not his only highlight. Dude turned average to above-average receivers into top-5 in the league as far as #s of catches and yardage--and you can't pin that on the system as he did it year in and year out through three very different offensive schemes.

And, while the CFL ain't the NFL, a championship game is a championship game and he won 5 of them.

Moon was a certified bad-ass. One of the greatest QBs ever.

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Because he played for four, and set records for 3 of them...
    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=256

Huh. Check out the HOF link.

(p.s.- Almu is what I what I call a "bandwagon/playoff only" fan... obviously did not "LOVE" Moon to make posts like that. Did Moon ever have 1 good defense, really? What about 1 great RB? He did it all himself, on 3 teams out of the 4 he played with.)

#66 IROC it, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  7. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Moon had monster playoff games against Denver and Buffalo, but the Oilers Defense blew 15 and 32 pt leads. Moon had very good playoff games against Pit and KC but the Defense gave up fourth quarter leads.

In the 4 most famed playoff losses above, the defense of the Oilers gave up an average of over 30 pts a game. Moon threw for over 300 yards in every game mentioned above with 10 TD's and 4 INT's. The Oilers averaged 26 a game in these 4 games and went 0-4. What more do you want, the guy to play defense too?

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Moon was awesome, not doubt.

I just wish he was able to play in the Super Bowl. My dream during the early 90s was to have an Oilers/Cowboys Super Bowl.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I think I'm going to go play a season of TecmoBowl.

Warren to Haywood. TD!!!

10. SamFisher

fantastic idea - downloading the emulator right now!

11. msn

msn Member

Oh man, great memories!!

Sam, where did you find that emulator? (What's an emulator? Does it run on PC or Mac or some other platform?)

12. SamFisher

FCE ultra, runs on windows

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/nes/

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Didn't the T-Wolves honor Mikan in some fashion, even though the (LA) Lakers have rights to all of that history?

14. msn

msn Member

15. SamFisher

Interesting anectdote this week from Dr. Z

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/dr_z/02/08/super/2.html

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

McClain was also saying on the radio moon never complained about the racial slurs. he said they were pretty bad in the beginning because the oilers weren't that good in moon's first two years. He said he told his family, who would hear it also being in the stands, that they would just have to win the them over.

its a shame he damaged his reputation with his problems with his wife and his apparent lack of couth in the carousing department.

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i knew moon had great stats, but i didn't realize he was top 5 in most of the passing categories and didn't realize the cfl stats were that huge. also didn't know his playoff performances were that good (though i figured the bills game he had pretty damn good stats). so it's awesome to hear that he got in.

and whether irvin deserved to get in or not (i need to see some stats) seeing a cowboy from that team get screwed is fine with me. apparently monk isn't in yet either so it's not like irvin has to be in.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Did Novak play on a team with Van Brocklin?

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member