1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WAPO OPINION PIECE] The NBA pitches itself as progressive. But its stars won’t talk about vaccines.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 1, 2021.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m sorry that he has a bigger platform than you because he’s better at what he does than you are :(

mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Vaccination isn't progressive, and shouldn't be political

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ahhh..I was reading the Green article. Any way, that's very lazy reporting. He simply added up FB, Twitter and Instagram.Ignored all the duplicates. It would have been better for him to have used his 100 million Instagram followers as the number.

So, what's so bad about James having 100 million followers?

4. Gioan Baotixita

:D

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

If Lebron said we shouldn’t my parents would be MORE likely to get vaxxed.

6. Gioan Baotixita

180 millions followed that guy who stands for nothing and falls for everything just because he can dribble a round ball? Like I’ve said, we’ve got problems.

7. bobrek

Well... at least when he supposedly tests positive for COVID, he doesn't go to a debate, put his security details at risk and follow that up with hosting a military event prior to a hospital stay.

Patience, mdrowe00, JayGoogle and 2 others like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Exactly. The Venn diagram of "unvaccinated" and "hate Lebron James" has a lot of overlap.

9. Gioan Baotixita

Still got Trump on your mind again. Lol

dachuda86 likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

People in the media, randos on the Internet, pharma companies, politicians in their pockets, and the unelected world health czar (you know who I reference cause it's true) all wanna tell you what to do with your body.

The true liberal ideal is to allow people to choose.

These authoritarians who wanna force the vaccine on people are blind and clueless to the fact that countries that don't participate will spawn mutations. I was saying this months ago, and I was right. Where are the variants coming from? You can force Americans to take a vaccine a day to keep the Rona away but it doesn't mean anything since these viruses mutate.

The only solution is to encourage loss of function. Vaccines are not the end of it. Mutations are good and we should be encouraging weaker strains to mutate and become dominant strains. Whether through a lab or through policy. Forcing vaccines isn't going to solve anything, and mandating them is quite anti-liberal. Any "liberal" on here pushing that concept needs to shut their mouth and stop referring to themselves as liberal. You're an authoritarian who doesn't get science.

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm confused. What do vaccines have to do with progressiveness?

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Op disingenuous?
    [​IMG]

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lebron-james-covid-protocol-11638326350?mod=hp_listc_pos2

LeBron James Out Indefinitely Under NBA’s Covid Protocols
    The Lakers star, who says he is fully vaccinated, may be out at least 10 days under the league’s pandemic rules.
    By Ben Cohen
    Updated Dec. 1, 2021 11:24 am ET

LeBron James missed the Los Angeles Lakers’ game on Tuesday and will remain out indefinitely after entering the NBA’s health and safety protocols, indicating the vaccinated NBA star registered a positive or inconclusive test for Covid-19, which could make James the most prominent athlete with a breakthrough infection.

His teammate Anthony Davis said that James was asymptomatic and that “Covid’s a scary thing” in comments that suggested he’d tested positive, which TMZ reported earlier on Tuesday. NBA teams have left public disclosure of Covid test results to players, and the Lakers have not elaborated on the details of James’s situation.

“Hopefully this is something that’s short-term,” Lakers coach Frank Vogel said. “We’ll see.”

The team arranged for James’s transportation to Los Angeles from Sacramento, said Vogel, who declined to specify whether his best player traveled by plane or car. “Health and safety protocols,” Vogel said. “That’s all I can say.”

The NBA’s vaccinated players are sidelined by the league’s protocols only if they have registered positive or inconclusive tests, not if they have been exposed to the coronavirus or if they were determined to be close contacts. If a vaccinated player tests positive, the league’s pandemic rules mandate that he’s out at least 10 days or until he returns two negative tests at least 24 hours apart.

His absence is the latest blow to a team already struggling with setbacks. The Lakers have a 12-11 record against one of the league’s easiest schedules in large part because they have stumbled without the 36-year-old, previously indestructible James, who has already missed half of their games this season with minor injuries and a suspension. They play three more games in the 10 days that James could be out, including two nationally televised showdowns with their rival Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers, and scrapping for a playoff spot is not exactly the start they had in mind when this team with James and Davis made a risky trade for Russell Westbrook before this season.

Breakthrough cases represent the latest pandemic disruption to professional sports. The league says that 97% of NBA players have been vaccinated, but there have been dozens of breakthrough cases among players and coaches, including Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid, who missed three weeks of games.

The potentially extended absence of the NBA’s biggest star comes as the league is already urging eligible players to get their booster shots. In early November, several weeks before federal health agencies pushed boosters in response to the discovery of the Omicron variant, NBA players were told they would be subject to increased testing beginning on Wednesday if they declined to roll up their sleeves for a booster.

The NBA has long favored aggressive mitigation policies because of the greater risks of an indoor league with players traveling across the country and breathing heavily on each other in close contact without masks. The NHL also has seen disruptive outbreaks this season that resulted in the temporary shutdown of two teams despite the hockey league’s 99% vaccination rate among players.

James, who evaded questions last season about his vaccination status, said before this season that he was initially skeptical of the Covid vaccines but ultimately decided to get the shot to protect himself, his family and his friends.

But he declined to endorse the vaccines or participate in campaigns advocating for others to get the shot, unlike many celebrities and star athletes with similar followings and influential platforms.

“I don’t feel like, for me personally, I should get involved in what other people should do for their bodies and their livelihoods,” James said in September.

Appeared in the December 2, 2021, print edition as 'LeBron James Enters Covid Protocols.'

15. bobrek

Yep... he is the presumptive 2024 republican candidate for President and continues to undermine the election process in the USA and continues to endorse candidates that support him and slam candidates that don't, therefore he will remain relevant until he fades away.

As a matter of fact, he just conducted another interview last night in which he continued his BS that the election was stolen. Perhaps he's the one that should let it go.

Nook likes this.
  16. Gioan Baotixita

So from Lebron straight to Trump in a nanosecond. Bad case of TDS? I hope the Keebler Elf is working on a vaccine for you. Bwahahaha

17. bobrek

I hope the medical community continues to work on cures and control of COVID. So far the vaccine has saved countless lives and prevented countless severe cases.

Not sure why you think that's funny.

mdrowe00 and DonnyMost like this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum

There are too many posters here who don't know what this NBA thing is you are talking about
    is there a dude named Tucker in this NBA?

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That article is a really sloppy, long-winded way of just saying "y u no PR for vaccine".

It's hard for us to imagine it but I'm guessing it actually would make a difference. As sad as it is, there are plenty of people who look to celebrities for social cues.

[​IMG]

I thought (hoped?) vaccines were settled science. Like gravity, germs, or Heliocentrism. But apparently we haven't actually come all that far since Polio.

Patience and Nook like this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

@Jontro

The most important way to keep COVID away from the NBA is to make sure ALL STRIPPERS are VACCINATED.
    @Os Trigonum

Jontro likes this.