1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wanting to buy a piano

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bag0b0y, Oct 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Thinking of getting a piano for the family, especially for my 8 y/I daughter to learn. My budget is $500. Don't think I can afford a "real" piano so I guess a digital one will have to do with that price range. Any suggestions on what brand/ model to get?

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

If you're gonna get a keyboard, make sure it's 88 keys and they are weighted if you want the authentic feel. Keep in mind that your $500 will have to incorporate the keyboard, a stand for the keyboard, and a bench/chair. Additionally, sometimes one or more of the pedals has to be purchased separately from the keyboard itself.

I've had good experiences with the Casio Privia line in the past.

Best of luck.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At 500 you are out of luck on a real piano. But you can get a brand new upright Pearl River made in China piano for under $2k. When you are listening on computer speakers, the difference between digital and real isn't so obvious. But when you are standing next to it, a digital seems like a pretty poor replacement for the real thing.

If you do get digital, the most important think is the weight and feel of the keys. If they don't have it pretty close, a lot of the things that make a piano different from just a basic synth keyboard will be lost. Not such a big deal for a beginner, but the better you get, the more important it becomes.

A bunch of teachers also supposedly favor the heaviest keys you can find for children to help build strength in the tendons and muscles of the hand.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

You may get lucky and find a serviceable instrument on Craigslist at close to $500, but the odds aren't good. And if you aren't a pianist, you won't know a good instrument from a poor one. If you're looking at a used instrument, I'd recommend asking a friend who plays to go with you and check it out. Don't be fooled by exterior quality: I've seen some beautiful pianos with lousy key action and tone, and some beat up clunkers that sound and play great.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but a good, piano-quality digital will probably bust your $500 budget.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've actually got a piano I've been wanting to get rid of. It's kind of old (it's an upright), needs a little repair work and a tuning, but I imagine that would all cost less than $500.

[​IMG]

Email me at goatrat at yahoo dot com if interested. You would need to arrange pickup, though. I can help load but the thing took 4 full grown men to get it in my house. I expect no less to get it out.

1 person likes this.
  6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

$500 just won't cut it, unless you find some amazing deal. I don't know much about old fashioned pianos, even though I've been playing for over 15 years, but I do know keyboards and digital pianos. If you go digital check out: Rolland, Kurzwell, Yamaha, and Korg. Personally I'm not a fan of Casio.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Pretty amazing deal in the post above yours.

8. ling ling

ling ling Member

You can get a good piano for $500.

Since your daughter is 8, so you have some time to look.

You can get free or near free from craigslist. It may not be great, but it will be enough for an 8 year old kid. If she ever show desires of being more serious, you can get an upgrade.

There is no sense in spending a lot of money on a piano that your daughter may never play.

9. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I've been a professional piano player for a long time and I always tell people that if I didn't already have a piano for the house, I would get a Casio Privia. They are 88 keys, weighted action, with built in speakers. For someone just learning to play the piano, this is all you need. I would not use one on stage professionally as there are better (and more expensive) options, but for your needs, this is the best way to go in my opinion.

10. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! Thanks raven lunatic for the offer but I'm mainly looking for a digital also because of space. HR Dept, out of all those brands what model would be the best for at least close to my budget? Even if I spend just a little over and my daughter doesn't end up playing it will still be of use because my wife plays the piano.

11. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Awesome! I'll check it out.

12. shorerider

shorerider Member

+1 on the Privia Series. Without a doubt the best in it's class. I bought one for our daughter and I think it sounds better than my brother's 2500 dollar Roland.

Don't be fooled by Casio's old reputation. The Privia line is incredible. For under 1000 it can't be beat.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you get a $500 Craigslist piano, be careful. Some haven't been tuned in 30 years, and the tuning pins will be all rusted out and about to break.

If it hasn't civet at least a little care, you could end up with a $500 piano that costs $5000 to get in playable condition.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i have a yamaha p95. i think new they are right around $500 - does not include stand or seat though.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-P95-88-Key-Digital-Piano-105945992-i1537890.gc

i tried a few different ones out in this price range and i liked it best for "real" piano sound as well as weighted keys. the downside is that it only has like 10 different tones and aside from piano and maybe strings, the rest are nothing to get excited about.

there is something to be said for playing on a real piano, but like someone mentioned, its a b**** to move and you have to get it tuned every few years. my mom was trying to give me hers for years and i still bought the digital.

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Definitely a good idea to get an affordable keyboard to see if she wants to keep doing it. I got a $300 keyboard for my son until he kept it up for 3 years and told me he was sure he wanted to continue. Then I got a nice expensive baby grand, which also served as a nice furniture piece in the house.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am also looking for one...I am thinking of a digital one with weighted keys. I don't mind spending a little bit more than 500. Maybe up to 1000.

17. hardLINer

hardLINer Member

i bought the yamaha p35 a few month ago and i think its awesome. it was 400 euros for me but i think thats around 500 USD? i think the sound is great for that price and it looks normal (i do not like these epianos with all these blinking buttons)

18. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

You won't get a digital that performs close to a real piano for 500...but maybe used?

You can find a real piano in decent shape with patience on Craigslist. The one shown above is a really nice sized upright - usually taller is better on uprights. You could refinish the leg as well.

If you want to go digital, get a new $200 one from best buy and have your daughter prove her commitment to it. Then you can choose wood or nice digital later.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You really can't go wrong with any of them. IMO, nothing matches the feel and sound of a Rolland or Yamaha. The keys on the Kurzweils that I've played all seemed to be a little on the heavy side, but you get used to it and I felt like I was able to play with more expression and soul when on it. Like it made everything more deliberate, could've all been in my head though.

As for Korg, it's just always been my personal favorite. My two most expensive keyboards were Korgs, and I'm partial. The last one being a Korg TR which I sold. One of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. Been searching for a MIDI controller with similar feel every since. I'm on my third one, close to $800 in, and still looking.

Since your wife plays, I'd suggest that you go to the big Guitar Center off of Westhiemer (if you're in Houston) and have her try everything out. Find one you like in your price range and bargain shop online. Guitar Center matches online prices but you'll still have to pay tax.

20. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Williams Allegro digital piano

A good option to consider is the Williams Allegro 88 key weighted digital piano at guitar center or amazon. I own one and i honestly think its a steal at 299. The next tier would be the casio cas px150 which is 450. Privia is ~500. Any of these will prob work for you. My tip - go to guitar center and try them out - i think youll be surprised by the williams allegro.