1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wanted: big man who can shoot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Feb 28, 2016.

1. johnto

johnto Member

what about Ryan Anderson?

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think Horford and such players....that Detroit first rounder might have come in handy to give these free agents a fifth year.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

How can a guy like Smith suddenly not be able to hit the transition or pick and pop jumper? He had that part of his game since the Atlanta days.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'd offer Capela for Joffrey on the Nuggets.

Capela's so overrated on this board. He's been professional basketballer longer than most other players of his same age in the NBA. He also went through France's INSEP program, ie goverment funded Ivan Drago training. If he doesn't have the fundamentals or understand the nuances by now it's going to be a very slow journey...

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You pulling this out of your ass? How do you know he had this type of intensive and nurtured training? How come other dudes from France like Parker, Diaw, and Batuum are never mentioned to have gotten this type of training? BS..

6. malakas

malakas Member

lol? Is this a joke? They are the golden generation of that institute.

But I didn't know about Capela. I thought he was late into the game.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2KxozPr8bWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Game Winner last night.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

He looks slow out there.

9. val_modus

val_modus Member

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Capela grew up in Switzerland and went to France for basketball. Maybe that's why?

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Horford would be great, but why would he come here?

The only thing I can think of is: he doesn't seem to like playing C, and if he were playing next to Dwight and Capela he'd never have to do so. We'd also pay him as much as anyone else would I imagine.

Is that enough though? Does he believe he puts this team in the top tier? Do we believe he's enough to put us over the top with Harden, Howard, Ariza and Beverley?

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Like I was saying... thanks for reading Daryl.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Roster Update: Rockets Recall Sam Dekker from <a href="https://twitter.com/RGVVipers">@RGVVipers</a>. <a href="https://t.co/21e5TT7hn7">pic.twitter.com/21e5TT7hn7</a></p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/704017176349401088">February 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

u mean perimeter players who dont constantly lose their man on defense that forces our bigs to play out of position, and dont return the favor by boxing out their bigs' man? yeah that would be nice

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Dwight Howard is 58%.

I've always disagreed with the premise someone like Dwight can't shoot. He's earning those dunks and jump hooks. You don't just get them for free. You just don't shoot over 7 footers up close that easily. It takes concentration and effort to finish with someone hanging on you. It's a skill. Something most other big men don't have, like say Rik Smits for example. You bring in a lenthy shooter ( and by that I mean a 7-15 foot skill level ) and you normally lose a lot that Dwight brings to the table with his back to the basket. Now if you get both the 6 foot and the 7-15 foot ranges in one man, great, but how often does that happen. Once in a lifetime.

Dwight is a great shooter. I don't really see how we are going to improve on Dwight. And we'll miss the big fella for what he does bring to the table.

15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I don't know about this shooting nonsense, but we will definitely miss Dwight when he's gone. The kids don't remember what scola looked like playing center.

16. rossinator

rossinator Member

I was at the RGV game last night.. I thought Decker played really slow and put forth very little effort on defense. He didn't try to box out and he constantly left his guy wide open for three. The three guys from the D-league that I thought looked good were Chris Walker (plays with energy 100% of the time), Raphael Putney (has a pretty shot), and Will Cummings (drives the lane well and shoots the three decent). Decker looked ok at best, but I can't say that he looks ready to contribute at all this year .

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Mileage on his body caught up to him, father time is undefeated, same thing is happening to Dwight.

DD

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He is slow.

DD

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think they are looking at him purely as a 4, and for a 4 he's probably average speed in the NBA when he's fit.

Not saying he'll necessarily be successful, but slow footed scoring SF's have largely died out in the NBA. If he can't make it as a 4, he's already toast IMO.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

All the threads same old stuff when this is what they have never tried .

Morey literally wasted 3 yrs of Howard running jones and smith out there at PF

How can this man run a team and be dumb enough not to know Howard & harden needs spacing ?