1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waning Interest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slcrocket, Dec 30, 2008.

1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

For the past few months (really since about the start of the season), I've been really surprised at how my interest level in the Rockets has actually DECREASED. In fact, my interest in the NBA has been in general decline, and I can't quite figure out why. I was always the guy who had League Pass and watched all the Rockets games religiously. But it seems like especially this year, I just can't seem to get into this team.
    It's really not just that they're struggling at times (if that was the case, how did I maintain my fanatacism during the Kelvin Cato years???), as, in fact, this team has as good a record as any of the previous Rockets teams in quite some time. But it's the strangest thing - watching a Rockets game leaves me looking for something else to do and I don't get nearly as high during the wins or as low during the losses.
    Has anyone else experienced this? I have a few theories, but none of them completely explain this for me:

1. Lack of players to get behind. I feel like this team is missing the Francis-esque element of somebody who's just fun to watch being himself out there. I forgave Francis easily for his stupid plays because I could still see how much he loved playing and how he left it out there every night. Truth be told, his stupid plays often left me laughing rather than upset.

2. This team is boring to watch. Some people might be upset to hear that, but if you take your personal allegiance out of the equation, do you really like watching this Rockets team play, aesthetically? If you do, you're a better man than I.

3. Disappointment in recent years. We haven't exactly been overly successful the past few seasons, so I wonder if maybe I have subconsciously set low expectations and therefore am not as emotionally invested as usual.

4. I'm too busy personally. This is a lame excuse, but I work 40 hours a week and am taking 15 credits per quarter in business school, so maybe I just don't have the bandwidth anymore.

5. It's still football season. It seems like the older I get, the more my interest in football remains extremely high. Interest in sports like basketball and baseball has waned, and oddly enough, hockey (?????) and football are by far the most interesting to me.

All I know is, this feels really weird...growing up, I was always the obsessed basketball fan. But lately, even crap like trading Landry for Villanueva (which seems like a bad move on paper) is intriguing to me because I'm just so freaking BORED with this team. Any one else experiencing any of this???

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

My only thought: Hockey kicks ass.

I've been watching hockey for over 25 years. When I lived in D.C., my father used to get a couple of seats to Washington Capitals games every season (he split the games with friends from work to save money).

It's too bad the closest NHL team to Houston is the Stars. It really is an incredible sport to watch once you give it a chance. Hockey and basketball have been my favorite sports for a long time.

/hockey promotion

As far as your waning interest, it may be that Lamar McGrady's lazy style of play not only brings down his teammates but also fans of the team.

3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I prefer the term McLady....

4. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

My interest in this team is declining a bit as well. Lately, I'm more interested in viewing the GARM and reading comments than actually watching the game. Another reason why I think the Rox are boring is that they are one the least athletic teams in the league. Watching Yao missing layup after layup instead of throwing it down like EVERY OTHER CENTER gets tiresome. This team consistently plays down to the competition and it's frustrating to watch it game after game.

I think this team needs a major overhaul next year because T-mac is done as a superstar and Yao is not going to get any better than he is now.

5. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

ok bye~~~~go follow another team then :rolleyes:

6. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

I find myself quite bored as well and after a loss such as last night i think to myself, they deserve to lose! I feel that watching a team go through the motions is what makes it boring. Thats what the rockets have been doing. Other than ron on occasions, nobody else has passion or fire in their game. Basically your watching Yao to get a slight fist pump, or tracy to blink his eye at the camara.

There haven't been to many games that one player has just came out and put the team on his shoulders and did it all like mcgrady used to do. There has been none of that this season. When Landry did that spin and throw down, everybody thinks damn, now it's time to play you get interested for 5 minutes on the comeback. Then the starters come back in and AHHHHH.... Swaaa. Back to Sleep

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't feel the same way at all. I just wish our guys would stay healthy long enough to click as a team. That's frustrating.

As an aside, I haven't been into the NFL much since the Oilers left Houston.

8. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Could be early signs of clinical depression. Consult your family physician.

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Tracy Lamar has that effect on fans of the team he plays for. It's well-documented in Orlando.

10. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

I wouldn't call it "waning interest." But there is a certain sting that comes with becoming SO emotionally invested in this team during the course of the season, truly believing they can accomplish something special....and then getting burned in the playoffs over and over. I don't ever lose interest, usually it just leads me to tend to try not to get so happy or so pissed with each win or loss.

Usually it lasts about 1/4 of the way through the season and then it wears off. So here we are again...

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I've slowly lost interest over the last 2 years. This season is much worse, however. This team is not fun to watch at all. I don't need monster dunks or 120 point games but I do need to see effort, crisp passing and just an overall organized game that looks like it is being played by professional players.

The diamond in the rough this season has certainly been Brooks. He is the only player that is actually exciting to watch.

12. Raven

Raven Member

The more you follow the NBA the more you want the playoffs to arrive. My interest in the playoffs is probably stronger than ever, but my interest in the regular season is definitely fading. I usually get more pumped once the trade deadline has passed.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I can feel you. There's a sense of detachment when you just don't see the roster as being "your guys." I've bought a lot fewer tickets to games this season than I have in several years, and that's been a factor (along with economics).

I will never cease being a Rockets fan, no other team in any sport will pass them as being my top interest. But McGrady is killing my enthusiasm for this particular group, and I'm constantly disappointed by their inability to really gel and get a consistent offense put together (with or without McGrady).

I want them to win more than anything, but I can't get as excited about these guys as I was able to a couple years ago. I hope that changes soon. I want to believe again.

Evan

14. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly save for the economy playing a part in going to fewer games. I'm not going to pay to watch McGrady play the way he's been playing this season.

15. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

i was thinking the exact same thing...i have also lost a little bit of interest in the rockets (but not the NBA as a whole). This team IS boring and our offense is nothing other than feeding it into YAO or Tmac/Ron going one on one against their man, or alston doing ugly floaters.

16. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

I Find myself rooting for guys like Von Wafer, AB and Dorsey, during this season. Following how dorsey is playing in the D-League, which i think he can be a carl landry like contributer with energuy and hustle. Really his smart mouth too. I feel in the next 2-3 seasons he will be a vocal leader on this team. Just trying to by my time during this dysmal season, so far

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Winning in the postseason cures most ills. This team's been the ultimate tease over the years.

Hate to say it, but #6 on that list can be this BBS if you're easily affected by negativity.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Blame the economy.

19. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I think a big factor is McGrady stinking it up. He is an electrying player to watch when he is healthy, but he has been relegated to scrub status this season.

On the other hand, repetitively post feeding Yao is pretty boring to watch.

20. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Absolutely on the Oilers leaving Houston. My football fan-hood went with the Oilers.

On topic. Crap, I guess I'll agree with you again...not that thats a bad thing, Deck.