1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wang and the Olympics

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by outlaw, Mar 23, 2004.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

China's Wang dreams of Olympics
    AFP[ MONDAY, MARCH 22, 2004 03:13:45 PM ]

WASHINGTON : Wang Zhi-Zhi dreams of playing for China at the Olympics in August, but the conflicting harsh realities of politics and sport have undermined his efforts and might make Athens a Forbidden City .

The 2.12m Miami Heat power forward made history in 2001 by becoming China 's first NBA player, a pioneer who paved the way for Yao Ming's heralded arrival as the top selection in the 2002 National Basketball Association Draft.

But Wang has declined requests by Chinese officials to return home and train with the national team the past two years, preferring to stay in America and maximise his skills to help his NBA.

Wang's refusals have led to frosty relations with Chinese officials and made it unlikely he will be allowed to play for China this August in Athens .

"I would like to play," Wang said here yesterday. "I don't know what will happen. It's not (about) basketball."

Wang averaged 22.8 points and 8.9 rebounds in 139 games with China 's Bayi Rockets from 1996 to 2001. He played in the 1996 and 2000 Olympics, averaging 13.5 points and 5.0 rebounds at Sydney as part of China 's "Great Walking Wall".

Wang, 26, made a groundbreaking debut with Dallas in 2001 but became a free agent after the 2002 season.

Chinese officials demanded Wang return for three months of training with the national team. But Wang, determined to make the most of his NBA opportunity, instead stayed in America to improve and try to win a job with another club.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/574896.cms

China would be pretty stupid to not allow their 2nd best player to play at Athens especially when he has played for the new team coach Del Harris.

2. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

is he their second best player?

not enough of a low post game to help against the good teams. tall guys that can shoot threes? the chinese national team have a million of those.

whatever. if he stayed in the US and actually imPORVED his game, then more power to him. but way to blow your chances on both sides.

3. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

C'mon man, that's disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing... he's easily the 2nd best player on the team!

WZZ was the most talented player the CBA has ever seen in his time... No one in the league currently even approaches his achievements! He can go back now and be it's MVP flat out. Du Feng is good, but WZZ is much better.

That said, he prob won't be in the team. As said, it ain't about bball anymore.

4. yipengzhao

well, i don't think i know as much about CBA as you. and if your right in that WZZ would be the second best player by far. then the chinese team is SCREWED. :(

i my lifetime i'd like to see them get a top three.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

My bet is that China will show it's Wang one more time.:D

6. Holden_McGroin

Wang isn't China's 2nd best...

7. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

wang sucks period. Has no game at all. He can barely hang on in the NBA.

8. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

This is a simplistic analysis. Besides, even should it be true, let's put things in perspective here. We are talking about the Chinese national team. Name one player besides Yao who's better.

Eg: Garth Joseph is absolutely dominating in the CBA (27.5 ppg and 18 rpg) this season. He played a few games in the NBA as well, averaging under 2 ppg and 2 rpg.

WZZ is a marvellous offensive talent. But his defensive deficiencies make it difficult for teams to play him. Miami really has no incentive to play him at the moment. They are a defensive minded team with their fair share of scorers (Wade, Odom, Jones). Why do they need another player to jack up shots? Given the right situation, I think he could flourish.

9. yipengzhao

10. yipengzhao

I mean would it hurt him to get in shape?

Seriously... he just has a weird, self-centered personality. From reading that book on Yao Ming over in the GARM, WZZ is just very insecure.