1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walton Fired With 6-11 Record!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure about that.

What do you expect Silas to do, other than tweak rotations. (play Sengun more, which will happen eventually)

You have multiple agendas moving at once....

Vets need to get dealt (some playing time before this), all the while keeping enough for the time being to have some kind of continuity/flow/examples for the kids
    We've got a super young backcourt comprised of KPjr, who's learning the position....and JG, who's starting because he was the second pick( he needs to mature physically)....They're both just kids with no experience.

Last year was a wash for obvious reasons and this one is laden with all these things and more.

Again, winning isn't really the objective right now.

Don't expect Silas to go anywhere.

This obviously isn't about instant gratification. Young guys will get minutes.
    Glacial patience will be needed by all of us as this is a true rebuild.
    I'm not sure what folks expected, but we knew it was going to be really ugly.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Did u seriously compared our team to the warriors? Jeezus christ.
    We arent even tanking on purpose we just suck. Our main point guard isn't even playing, rookies need time to adapt.

Name an instance where a team compromised of multiple rookies make it to the playoffs in their first year?

Your expectation is quite unrealistic

Corrosion and Tato1971 like this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What did you people think this season was going to be about before it started? We're trying to lose as many games as possible in order to get better draft picks. Considering that we owe OKC our 2024 and 2025 first-round picks (with protections), the team needs to stockpile as much lottery talent as it can now.

There is no glory in being the a middle-of-the-road team that can't compete for a title and won't tank to get better players. It's like some of y'all weren't here for the Kevin Martin years at all.

Tato1971 likes this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

This is the problem with you tank obsessed people, you negate to recognise that you also need to actually develop the players you get into good NBA players. What's the ****ing point of stockpiling draft talent when we already don't have the roster slots for the talent we've drafted? It's completely r****ded this perspective you have. You can lose whilst still developing your players with good structure, a good system an offensive and defensive identity and putting the players into the position to get better even if they don't win games. Idiots like you advocating that we just throw seasons away whilst teaching our players how to suck is how you get a franchise where you're drafting high for years and never getting any better. Newsflash, tanking for years doesn't make you better, it makes you one of the bigtime loser teams that stays at the bottom for decades.

Imanimal likes this.
  5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree with all of this. No need to attack me and get so heated over a deliberately bad 1-15 NBA team. Nobody wants to see us turn into the Sacramento Kings.

It does seem like malpractice that Şengün is barely playing and Theis' presence on the team makes no sense. If Silas continues these trends into the next season then I think calls for his head are legitimate. But, we also picked the rawest top prospect among the top five and are playing Kevin Porter Jr. out of position as part of an experiment. The only players that matter for this team, long-term, are Jalen Green, Alperen Şengün and, arguably, Jae'Sean Tate. KPJ is a malcontent who might not have many other landing spots in the league.

I'll ring more alarm bells (which should've already been ringing for everyone on this BBS) if Fertitta sticks by Silas and doesn't begin to spend money once Green and Şengün develop into something better. We know he has a track record of penny-pinching and he's never been in a position before where he needs to rebuild a franchise.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

He was fired bc the Kings have sucked with him from day 1. apples to oranges

I remember when CF's were all over Walton but but he was so great at GS

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

The moment you said you need immediate results just showed you dont understand a proper rebuild takes time.

Silas isnt in charge of the shooting program and a basketball education that stuff is done by the training staff.

The Knicks game being competitive means you dont need to replace silas to be competitive. Tbh I dont even care about competition I'd rather have the young guys play 30 mons a game and the Rox win 1 game entire season than they be competitive and KPJ plays 10 mins a game.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I am ready to watch it. You should be too, because they’re not firing Silas mid season in his second year when we have no Harden-type player. What would be the point? Go get an equally poor assistant coach to take over? No good, long term coach is going to take this job right now. Silas is here AT least till the end of the season. And the point of my post was that people saying “look Sac fired their coach 15 games in so why won’t we?” Those people are ignoring that this is the third year. Ie they gave him two full seasons AND they were EXPECTING to win.

don’t mistake that for “we should keep Silas for forever because he’s a great coach!”

Corrosion likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

To his credit (or "credit"?) Walton is leaving the franchise with the 2nd highest winning percentage in Kings franchise history. Should have never been hired in the first place but, hey, wear that "Participant" badge with pride, Luke.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Mark jackson, like Luke, got 3 seasons — he actually got 2.75 full seasons. I’d have to look back to see why he only coached 66 games his first year but he wasn’t fired mid season. There were also rumors about serious locker room issues. It wasn’t losing that got him fired.

Firing Silas would be even more unprecedented than firing Jackson or Luke.

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

There is a significant difference between developing and what we're doing. We can lose every game this season and still not get the #1 pick. You dont want to lose every game you want to try to win the games you can which with rookies wont be a lot. Look at Detroit they havent won many games but they are developing their young players smartly. Cade is out there at the ending moments no matter the score. YOu got this idiot sitting our rookies and 2 year players. This coach is just trotting out vets when we would be best served having the rookies and two year guys out there and winning a couple of games. Playing vets like we do is in no way helping us get to our goal. Im actually getting tired of explaing this. YOU DONT WANT TO LOSE EVERY GAME AND YOU DONT WANT TO SIT YOUR FUTURE IN IMPORTANT MOMENTS. They are going to need this experience. And frankly im getting tired of people acting like we shouldnt want to wina couple as if we are expecting a championship this year. No I expected a coach to play his young guys and let them get experience together. We cant even get that then what the **** is the point of this.

mtbrays likes this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

If the assistant is gonna play our youngsters and two year players over vets like a real rebuild THEN ****ING YES.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

oh so now theres a gold standard of 2.5 years....? lolololol
    hahahah

again, who are you modelling and why?...be a revolutionary....do extraordinary things if you want extraordinary results... dont do weak mediocre ish that leads nowhere that everybody else does...

work more than anybody..... practice more than anybody...DEMAND more from players and coaches...

theres no a way around hard work...theres no substitute for winning....you cant lose your way into wins...it NEVER HAPPENS...you gotta outwork, outsmarrt and outmuscle others...and you aint doing it with croach silas cause he is just a lazy, tank loving, mediocre low iq slob

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People always say this but ignore the Warriors rise from Jackson to Kerr.

Coaching matters. A lot.

One change from Jackson to Kerr? Jackson thought Draymond Green was a SF or wingman in general and Kerr used him as a big. Under Jackson, Green was a JAG fighting for minutes while under Kerr he blossomed.

So I'll say it again. Coaching matters. A lot.

The Warriors do not win championships without Kerr or a similar level of coach.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It matters when teams are looking to contend, it doesn't really matter when teams are hitting rock bottom and rebuilding. That's why I'm fine sticking with Silas even though he's awful. You keep him around for the hopeless seasons before dumping him for someone actually good when the team gets built a bit.

16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Excellent post Dobizzle….I’ve come to a very simple conclusion: Losers enjoy/tolerate/make excuses for losing and Winners hold others accountable for their actions that result in consistent failure….they do not accept long term failure without a fight.

17. Original Dr. Pepper

I think coaching matters in this situation. You want a good developmental coach who can teach young players winning habits, even if they aren't ready to win yet. I don't know if Silas is that guy, but I think coaching matters a lot when it comes to bringing a group of young players along.

If we want to continue comparing to Golden State, they had just about the perfect combo. They had Mark Jackson early who instilled defensive discipline in them early. That was pretty important when Kerr came along and turned their offense around. Even though Ron Adams revamped their defense into the switch-everything style, having the habit of playing hard on the defensive side was important and that came from Jackson.

Dobbizzle and JayGoogle like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I expected all of this with the exception of the stubbornness around Theis and House. Even after they are gone or minutes are reduced, we will still be really bad. Silas has been a disappointment in putting these guys in a position to improve. KJM and Sengun have been frozen out up until a couple of games ago. Maybe he got the message and they both start getting real minutes. In addition, he is stifling Wood’s value by playing him with Theis. I’m not down on Theis just don’t think he is a fit for this team.If he continues his horrible rotations for the next 20 games he should be fired, but I think that is highly unlikely.

Plowman likes this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah but as @Original Dr. Pepper stated, you still want the team to learn and grow and develop good habits.

With that said I'm never really for a coach being fired mid-season unless it's clear the players don't want him around anymore.

I think the last Knicks game was a good game, they seemed to be a lot more competent and were putting in a lot of effort and had long stretches where they played like a team, so that's good, maybe he can turn it around and get hold of the team...

So I'm fine with him staying for the year.

Kevooooo likes this.
  20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Yes the rotations suck, but even with good ones he just isn’t a good coach. No offensive discipline and wayyyy too many turnovers. Also horrible free throw shooting. Sometimes things are what they appear to be. Washington Post has an article about the Rockets today titled, “Houston Rockets on pace to post worst record in NBA history.” This isn’t just a bad coach we can learn to live with….he is beyond bad and needs to be replaced asap. Don’t forget he lost 20 games in a row last year. Hope they keep him in some capacity other than head coach as he could be a good scout or something with his experience.

Joe Rocket likes this.