1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walt Williams is not good, not a big fan of KT either

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JBIIRockets, Oct 31, 2001.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Walt had a bad game tonight, I thought. He obviously had the first game jitters as most of the shots he took were way off the mark.

Why is he still on the team? He is a one-deminsional player (shooter), and frankly, he has too many off games to be considered to have that attribute. I guess that would make him overrated.

And as for Kenny Thomas. This guy has the attitude of a shy little kid who is afraid to do things. He had a wide open three point attempt which was caused by penetration from (I think Francis), but for some unexplicable reason, he hesitated just a little, and threw up a bad shot.

Thomas has no heart. He has skills but his personality will prevent him from being any good in this league. I realize that Kenny gets some praise from Rocket fans, especially fans at this site, but I am just not wild about him.

Bottom line is this: Kenny and Walt have been important role players for the Rockets the last two years. That has translated into ZERO playoff appearances. The Rockets should not rely on these two guys.

I consider this year Thomas's make or break year. If he does not make some noticeable improvements, the Rockets better dump him.

As for Walt,.....well Can't Rudy suit up? He is the right height.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thomas does not have a good outside shot, so it is natural that he should hesitate to take them. Personally, I wish he would hesitate more often, because he quite frequently takes shots that I feel are out of his range, and he should drive the ball instead.

But other than that, I have no complaints regarding KT tonight. He played outstanding defense towards the end of the game, and when the Hawks had a larger, slow PF guarding him, he blew by the guy twice until the opposing coach finally pulled the guy. Kenny is a good defender, and he is a more than adequate backup PF, which is all he has been asked to be on this team. This season, he will need to start, but he will not be asked to perform any tasks that he wasn't asked to perform as a backup.

You say that our "ZERO" playoff performances is a reason why we shouldn't count on KT (and Walt) in the future. Did we not depend on Mobley and Steve as well? How many playoff appearances have those guys taken us to? This logic just doesn't work when used with such a broad stroke.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

JB,
    I have to disagree with you on KT not having any heart. He started out slowly, but he had one of the best games of any Rocket player. Only Cato and Willis played better than him in the frontcourt. He also played outstanding defense on Abdur-Rahim in the 4th quarter and in overtime. I don't know if you were able to see the game or listen to it, but if you did, I can't believe that you would feel that way about KT.

As for Walt, he had one of his 2 types of games..unfortunately, it was not the good type, it was the Missing in Action type.

It's just one game. I think it is a little premature to say that someone has no heart after 1 game. If Kenny plays every game like he did last night, there's no question, we will be in the playoffs this season.

4. AT

AT Member

I think "Missing in Action" might be a touch too nice for Walt's game tonight. "Wildly Jacking from Everywhere" would seem to fit better. Pretty ridiculous. He looked a lot more like Langhi than a 10-year vet. (or however many years he is).

How much salary are we eating if we waive him? What are the odds he would be picked up by another team?

5. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

You obviously didn't watch the same game I watched last night. Try tuning your rabbit ears to the solar rim, hang some tin foil from there to the single watt bulb hanging over your head, and chant a long forgotten mantra "..... mmmmmmmmmmmmm, I am blind ...... mmmmmm .... I am blind ........... mmmmmmmm ............ "

;)

6. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Walt - don't know why we keep him year after year... by the All-Star break there's always some talk of trading him... He's never as hot as we'd like.

KT - I was a hater when he was a rookie, but there's been a definite improvement in his game. I actually thought he had a great game last night. His footwork on drives was excellent, and he seemed to do a decent job of cutting to the lanes and helping on defense. The only real worry I saw was the Shareef definitely had the better of him (though less so in the second half), and there are a lot of forwards KT will have to defend in the West that could eat him alive.

As long as KT stop trying to jack up the three (my major complaint during his rookie year -- he picked it up from Barkley's crazy butt, I'm sure :) ), I think he'll look better and better.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<b>Thomas has no heart. </b>

Where have you been!? This guy has a TON of a heart! He needs to cut down the outside shots, but this is an undersized guy playing in the West and he is producing. Saying he has no heart is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!

<b>I consider this year Thomas's make or break year. If he does not make some noticeable improvements, the Rockets better dump him.
    </b>

You may consider it his make or break year, but the Rockets are fine with him. The guy is a reserver player. Yeah he started, but only because of injuries. He's doing what he has to do as a key guy off the bench.

<b>Bottom line is this: Kenny and Walt have been important role players for the Rockets the last two years. That has translated into ZERO playoff appearances. The Rockets should not rely on these two guys.
    </b>

Huh? The Rockets aren't building the team around Walt and KT, they're building it around Mobley and Francis and now Griffin! This team didn't make it to the playoffs because of injuries. Cato, Hakeem, Charles, our frontcourt guys dropped like flies, and the rest of the team was inexperienced. It wasn't because they had years. If we use that logic, you better dump Francis and Mobley, because if the role players didn't get us playoff spots what does that say about our star players?

Relax! We won! Everybody had a bad game besides, possibly, Mobley and Francis to a degree. Cato and Willis had awesoem games. Kenny Thomas and Walt don't have to carry us. Walt is a guy off the bench, and KT will eventually. They're not the reason whether or not we make the playoffs, and they aren't the reason we didn't make the playoffs. I'm happy right now, because Walt isn't going to have a play a big role, and KT will probably just play his normal role, which is fine by me.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Take it how you want to, but Thomas did as much as Taylor would have done, 13pts 6 rebs. I thought walt should be gone anyway, we already have 1-1 dimensional player on the team starting in Rice, why have another

9. man532

man532 Member

JBIIRockets,

I agree, Walt should not be in the rotation, Rudy thinks he needs a shooter to replace Rice when he goes to bench. What we need is more defense when Rice goes to the Bench. Dion Glover was looking like the 2nd coming of Jordan. Not the 3rd, which by the way was not pretty.

KT, he got lit up like a christmas tree in times square. He saved face in the 4 Quarter by ripping Rahim 3 times. He has understand the his value is playing great D, rebounding, hustling, and hitting mid range shots. If he shoots another 3, EG should be sent in immediately.

I like the rotation with Willis backing up Cato, my first thought is to start Willis, however, we need his points when Cato is in a funking mood.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Did you critics watch the game? Thomas played excellent defense most of the night. His shot wasn't really there, but he took advantage of mismatches in the second half and threw down a monster jam towards the end of the game when we desperately needed a score. The only thing I wasn't happy with, like RR, was the 3 point attempt. Like Barkley, he seems to want to spot up behind the arc at times, but he just doesn't have the consistant range. I would be happy if he never shot another three this season.

11. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

I like some things that Kenny brings to the table like hustle and a few drives. But it really hurts us that he's not a consisent shooter. I think we're gonna miss Mo, especially cuz he was pretty dead-eye from 15-18 feet and offerered a occasional postup. Any chance, Mo may be back before the season ends?

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The fact is that both of these guys are going to be gone next year. I think the Wiz is not a quality NBA player and the sooner he leaves the more opportunities we can give Tmo. However, I think KT is a solib backup, but since Taylor is coming back next year there will not be room for him here.

13. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Thomas did better in the second half, but he is always going to be a back up level power forward. He should be spelling Willis as the backup.

Walt will hang himself and end up third string insurance soon. TMo, Kenny and Griffin will be the forwards getting the minutes

14. Lobo_Louie

Lobo_Louie Member

As a KT fan for the past 6 years, I know he has game. As you saw last night, he can drive the hoops, pass well and play good D.

For the life of me, I'd prefer he not shoot the 3, but it's got to be hard to pass up open 3s. I loved that drive past Hannah Mottola in the 4th quarter.

He should be able to deliver 10/10 every night.

15. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

10/10? That would be perfect (and much cheaper than Cato, if he does the same).

There are two separate articles on ESPN that talk about KT having a breakout season... even a possible MIP. Wow!

16. knifejc

knifejc Member

I think KT would be better if he did more slashing and driving to the lane, than shooting 3s. He had a couple of nice post moves. And when drove from near the top of the key and took it all the way in for a nice dunk i was very impressed :)

17. IVFL

IVFL Member

I was actually happy when the rockets drafted Kenny. I loved him in college. I just hope he works on his shot a lot more. they guy is undersized and he needs every advantage available. If he can get a decent three point shot it will open up his drives and inside game. I hope he has a great year, but he needs to stay inside until his shot is there.