1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wall's expiring + picks for what young star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

I understand the flaws. I'm thinking in terms of fit on a roster. You exaggerate comparing him to Howard or Mcgee...

He helps us more than eric gordon and wood.

2. Landry's Tooth

The other thing is who else?

They have a small window to add a big salary. Bam or Giannis aren't demanding trades in the next year... the jazz are stuck where they are and need to make a change. He's likely one of the few realistic names...

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree on the fit. If the Rockets don't end up with Chet, it isn't the worst option to take on Gobert if the price is right.

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Not really. No team with Rudy Gobert making the max will ever win a championship. Rather just let Wall expire or Gordon expire and sign someone useful.

Dwight in the min gives you a better chance than Gobert on the max.

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If your going after a Utah player, why not Donovan.

Or just take your chances and try to sign someone in free agency. Miles Turner would be cheaper and a better option. Maybe Zion wants to come here.

Can we get Siakam? Can we get Dame? Heck maybe the Lakers get tired of Anthony Davis getting injured.

6. Landry's Tooth

Chet scares me... his frame is so thin and i worry what bulking up will do to his game. I like jabari for his elite spacing... may not get a choice though. Chet could be best on board and worth the risk by then...

7. Landry's Tooth

Someone useful? To what? Replace Jalen?

Not many 1, 3, or 5s to sign..

8. Landry's Tooth

I prefer to gamble on Jalen Green on a rookie deal before Donovan. I think Porter could have more value given cap space...

I like Turner more than Gobert but Pacers sound like they are going to extend him.

Siakim seems untouchable now. Davis is interesting for discounted price given injuries.

Dame is too old. You want another john wall contract in a few years?

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

In what world am I trading Jalen Green. Donovan can play point guard and give us the best back court in the league.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Pipe Dreaming man. Wall is a buyout waiting to happen

11. Nook

Nook Member

The only way the Rockets get any real value out of Wall is if they deal him to a team that wants cap space and the Rockets take on longer bad contracts for draft picks or a young player…. and while I think the Rockets should consider this, I can’t see Tilman having any interest.

12. Landry's Tooth

Mitchell is less of a point guard than KPJ...

Just from what I've seen... he's also not know as a strong defender... I'm not sure what he would solve other than ticket sales...

13. Landry's Tooth

Can't trade a buyout... might be needed to get a star who decides they want out... wood and Gordon could be too but they might already be dealt...

I could also see if they believe a star isn't coming here by trade or free agency that they deal him for some picks and longer term money back with some veteran role players to help develop the younger guys...

14. thekad

thekad Member

Don’t bother explaining the obvious. There’s no logic allowed in @Plowman threads.

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

My two cents:

So the original idea was Wall and picks for a young star.

Wall makes $47.3M next year. If a team is over the cap, then they have to send back at least $37.8M in salary to the Rockets. Who's going to give up a young star and only get back Wall and middle of the road picks? What kind of contracts do you think that additional salary to get you up to $37.8M in outgoing salary is going to be like? Is Wall and mid-round picks the best deal that you can get for a young star? If so, then I'd question your definition of a "star".

What about trading Wall to a team with cap space? Who has cap space this year? Likely it's Orlando ($30M), Detroit ($27.4M), San Antonio ( $24.7M) , Indiana ($24.5M), Portland ($22.3M) and OKC (only $5.4M). Those are all rebuilding teams who likely have no interest in Wall. Are they going to use up their cap space on Wall and also send out another $17M in salary along with it? Doubtful. They'd possibly be willing to use their cap space on Wall but they'd want picks in return and they'd also want to dump bad contracts to get to the required out going salary. None of them are going to give you a young star. Why would they?

Can anyone think of a realistic deal where Houston could get a young star (or potential star) for nothing other than Wall and picks? Give me a name.

The other idea discussed was Wall and Wood to Utah for Gobert.

Utah already has Donovan Mitchell and Mike Conley in the backcourt. Both of them are better than Wall. What does this trade do for Utah? They'd be much worse defensively and would they even be any better offensively? Gobert averages 15.6 pts but he's doing it on only 7.7 shots/game. Does Wood coming in and taking more shots to get a couple more points per game really help them? Wood is also on the last year of his deal so he can walk at the end of the year.

What about Houston? Does Gobert help them? He's 29 years old and due to make $38.2M, $41M, $43.8M and $46.6M (player option) over the next four years. Are the Rockets going to finally get rid of Wall only to get back a similar deal with another 4 years on it? To send Wood and Wall to Utah, the Jazz would need to send $49.28M back to Houston. Gobert makes $38.2M, so what's the extra $11M in salary that Utah sends back?

Is Gobert tradeable? If so, is this the best deal that Utah could get for him? If not, then his salary will be on the Rockets books for another 4 years.

This hypothetical Houston/Utah deal doesn't seem to be appealing for either side.

The only way that I see anyone trading for Wall is if they can dump some bad/toxic salary (see Westbrook).

If I'm the Rockets, I'm not tying up any long term money that doesn't bring in a future cornerstone player. It would be better to just let Wall expire ( or be bought out) and create cap space for the following year.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I already told you to go get your f*kin shinebox.

Now get the Hell out of my thread....or you'll go on vacation. I'm not kidding. Enough is enough.

Another thing...I guarantee you and many others wouldn't be speaking this way if we were "live" in person. So, keep that in mind.

Show a little respect/manners. Again, y'all bring down the overall quality of the board....while bringing so much negativity, hate vitriol, etc.

17. thekad

thekad Member

Wouldn’t it be easier to make better posts than putting on a truly cringe internet tough guy act?

No one is trading a young star for Wall’s carcass. Sorry to burst your bubble, champ.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am still waiting to hear who this mystery young star is. So far, the only name that has come up is Gobert and he is definitely not young at 29.

Amel likes this.
  19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Yea, there are not really any players that intrigue me, especially young players...we should just continue to stack up picks, draft some potential stars/starters and then in 3/4 years we'll have an option to trade a young star.

Right now, we should just build up with the young core

chenjy9 likes this.
  20. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not the most appealing player, but Orlando may want to get off the Fultz contract and he fits that ~$17 million number. Wall and a future first for Fultz?