1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waller County: 'Illegal' Lane Change leads to Death

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jul 17, 2015.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agreed good news if the GOP is abandoning the racist war on crime campagn meme. Interesting that the rationale if couched in terms of investment and money.

To be fair Bill Clinton has seemingly without much embarassment admitted his role in catering to this mess.

Here is a good video laying out how the GOP used the race/crime to win the presidency for the one percent so many times.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wTdUQ9SYhUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Oh not this same old tired garbage again. Listen people, act respectful to police when they stop you. If you do this, a routine traffic stop won't end up with you cuffed on the ground. Mike Brown and Eric Garner would both be alive today had they simply not acted the fool when approached by officers. Plus we wouldn't have had all the senseless violence and looting, either. This is not that hard, people.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Is that a medical opinion from a medical doctor?

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Piquing...

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a medical opinion from a Kinesiologist so it's legit.

6. Remii

Remii Member

There are some cops out there who have no honor and they get off on hurting and killing unarmed civilians for a paycheck. They are demons, thugs, and animals for the money (and it's not a lot of money).

As you can see from this video that the color of the victims vary so this is not delegated to one group of people... https://youtu.be/F4xrM0_-9no

Please tell the women in your life to at least keep their mouth shut when dealing with the police...

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

While this is absolutely true, it's disturbing how many people seem to be ok with the outcome of death for people who mouth off to cops.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yep, same old tired garbage.

Sheriff in Sandra Bland Case Was Fired in 2008 After Racism, Brutality Allegations

You really can get pulled over for driving while black, federal statistics show

9. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Why should this attitude even be expressed? Should be the given.

Growing up in Benin City, Edo/Benin State (which, from my perspective, is my HomeBase) made it easier to accept being mefiant of the police.

Every time i've been confronted by PD (speeding & bar/club incidents only in my case) my only instinct is to make the cop feel cool. By every definition.

Helps that i'm an oyibo...both in the US & Africa.

Not to minimise your POV, but IMO it's not strictly, dare i say primarily, racial. Power is the bigger factor.

10. Remii

Remii Member

We're talking about American western world women here... That's why it has to be expressed because it's not a given with some (maybe many) of them.

If a woman hits a civilian man and he hits her back... The man is vilified and persecuted by the court of public opinion. But cops have a license to kick the shyt out of women for talking back... Cops are even using their badge and gun to rape women. But I guess it's okay because they're cops.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Continuing to express your odd views about women I see.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well I'm guessing this one will be interesting.

Kind of hard to believe a woman getting a new job and everything is going to kill herself in jail for a traffic stop. Very hard. She would have had to have some kind of mental issue BEFORE for me to even consider that. It's not like she was on her way to a Supermax or something.

On the other hand though it's hard to believe foul play. I mean police brutality seems to not be getting any better but I don't think the Police go out looking for black people to kill.

The middle ground here though seems believable. That her head was slammed to the concrete too hard and as a result she died in prison. Which would then make sense for the whole "Suicide" thing.

Would be wrong to just brush it off as "Oh she wasn't respectful to the Officer. Oh well." someone died and that person's family deserves answers. I don't understand why people can be dismissal of it

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Neither of those points disprove my comment. You have a flaw in the way you reason. What you're doing is crafting a narrative that you want to be true (e.g., racist cop does wrong to a black person), and then trying to link together a incomplete set of facts to make your story true. It doesn't work that way. As we all have learned in the Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown incidents, it's necessary to get all the facts on the table first.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Would she have kept that job after getting arrested the way she did? Possibly not. She did have a history of depression according to things she has posted online in the past so depression plus potentially losing a job that she drove all the way from Chicago to secure could have put her over the top.

There are some that would certainly have you believe that though.

I think in the end, this will all come down to a mentally unstable person taking their own life, but there will be the tin foil hat group that try to make it more than that.

15. Remii

Remii Member

There are American women who are more challenging and confrontational towards men. That's not my view about women it's a fact.

16. Nook

Nook Member

That isn't unique to women, Americans as a whole are more challenging and confrontational and the officers in America know that. I have seen more young people and men act confrontational towards authority figures than women. None of the women I am around or friendly with would act confrontational for a routine traffic stop.

17. Remii

Remii Member

I said challenging and confrontational towards men... As in regardless of who they are. I didn't specify it to cops.

They probably don't want to catch a beat down... Good for them. Because apparently cops believe women deserve equal rights ---> and lefts...

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

She had also previously posted on facebook about her distrust of the police and whites, according to some of the stories that broke the day after her arrest/suicide

Now, the fact that she apparently did not like nor trust the police and did not particularly like nor trust white people, does not mean that what she did when she was pulled over was worthy of arrest.....it does make it easy to believe she DID do something towards that officer that DID warrant arrest though

Hopefully the video available of the arrest will bear out what happened there

As for committing suicide and her family saying they couldn't believe it

That is pretty much what you hear at a large majority of suicides

19. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I could be wrong here, but how would the employer even find out? If she didn't die I'm sure she would have gotten bailed out in time to start her job. They wouldn't re-run a background check after hiring her. So unless she did jail time post conviction I would think she would have been ok.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, obviously I wouldn't know for sure, but she called about getting bailed out before the suicide and she might not have had the money to pull it off. We know that she couldn't find work in Illinois and she admitted to being extremely stressed out, probably due to money problems. If she was starting work the next day and thought she was still going to be in jail....well bad things can happen when people with a history of depression get crushing bad news like that. Even worse, she might have been on the way to work for the first time for all we know. Most employers won't look fondly on missing the first day due to being in jail.

We also know that she had a long history with traffic offenses, to the extent that her drivers license was set to be suspended not long after her death. The idea of even more legal trouble could have been too much for her.

There's 1000 reasons why she might have done what she did, but unfortunately all we can do is guess.