1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waitlisted at UT Law

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by WhiteMagic02, Apr 5, 2006.

1. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

Since I decided to go ahead and commit myself to going to law school, back during freshman year of college, I always seen myself headed to UT. I worked hard all my 4 years, have a 3.95 GPA, and got a good (90th percentile) score on the LSAT. I was down a few days, but now I know I must accept it and just be patient. I may still get my chance.
    I got a nice scholarship to Baylor, so thats where my seat deposit will be going next week. I posted this because I know that there are several lawyers on the board, and many other highly educated people. Did any of you all get waitlisted at a school you wanted?? I would be real interested in what happened, if anyone would be kind enough to share their story.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My sister graduated UT Law and her husband graduated Baylor Law. That's all I know really, but my impression is that both were good educations, and if you are staying in Texas, you should be able to get a very decent start in the industry post graduation regardless of school.

3. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

Oh yeah I'm with you on that jay, please no one misunderstand me. I'm not knocking Baylor at all. I know that they have an excellent program that is known for turning out some great trial lawyers. If it's not in the cards for me to end up in school in Austin I won't hang my head at Baylor. But it's somewhat frustrating b/c that is where I've always wanted to be.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

At least you've heard back from the bastards. I still haven't heard diddly from them...I think i'm gonna end up going to the University of Arkansas, they offered me a great scholarship and the faculty I've met have all been really nice. At this point, I'd even enjoy a rejection from UT, just to know for sure.... But my stats aren't as good as yours, so I guess I should just assume rejection. When did you apply?

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

the waiting game that graduate schools plays with students is just a sickening process. SICKENING *waiting for UH College of Optometry here*

6. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I seriously am wondering how you are not accepted with those scores? Did you submit your application relatively late? :confused: :confused: :confused:

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

You still haven't heard? Wow.

I've already turned in my enrollment deposit. I'd give them a call and see if they are still making decisions and maybe yours got lost in the mail.

FWIW, I applied around January 1.

8. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

nah, they have my application, they've sent me all of the correspondence and stuff....just no response yet....

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Gotcha. Good luck on your decision, man.

Perhaps we'll be classmates next year.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Don't you generally need a higher LSAT than that for UT LAW?

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I agree and furthermore Waco can't hold a candle next to Austin in terms of city life.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course, to be near the top in law school, city life really won't matter. :)

Even though Waco has some pretty decent bars now (or at least they did back in 2002).

13. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

I did submit my app on Feb. 1st, the deadline. I tried to submit it earlier, however my recommendations weren't in until late January. Also, I wanted to wait until grades came in for the Fall semester and ours were not due until early January (I go to Lamar University (BMT), and we had to make up time missed from Hurricane Rita).
    My LSAT score was a point below the median for UT, but within their 25-75 percentile ranges.
    Sir Charles Fan have you checked your status through the "EID". I thought that thing was useless because it never changed, but it may be helpful in your case.
    Oh yeah and Mr. Brightside, I'm much more of an "Austin" person. :)

14. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Have fun with the rule against perpetuities... :mad:

15. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

I was brought in off a waitlist with two weeks before the fall semester started. It happens...the big question is if you want to plan ahead, get comfortable in your new surroundings and lay down roots for three years, or if you are the type of personalty that can fly by the seat of your pants and jump at a moments notice if your "holy grail" of schools comes calling.

If you are weighing between UT and Baylor, I would personally hold out as long as possible for the green light from UT. With the numbers you have, and assuming you want to stay in Texas, I'd also head to SMU before Baylor. Don't know you're long term plans, but SMU is much better entrenched in the biggers markets (especially Dallas), and although the facilities aren't as good as Baylor, the financial upside of a diploma from SMU outweighs that of Baylor (although the educational quality would be about the same).

16. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Just be glad that you got in somewhere.

I'm plan on applying to schools for Fall '07 and it's killing me.

Actually it's weird I'm in the opposite boat. Mediocre GPA, outstanding LSAT. And what makes it more frustrating, it seems like alot of schools like to flip their emphasis from year to year.

Anyway, good luck on UT.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

School doesn't matter squat, what you need are a good pair of sneakers to chase those ambulances down.

DD

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

haha nice

19. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

I applied to UT Law last year and got flat-out rejected. I got waitlisted and eventually rejected from UH law, so I just decided to get a job.. I'm sure my engineering GPA had a lot to do with that.

I want to work for a couple of years and apply again. Does working a couple of years help your chances of getting into law school? It's something I really want to do.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Law School = hell
    MBA = cakewalk

Work 3-4 years, then apply to B-school. You can make a nice transition into Ops Management, Marketing, I-Banking, or Management Consulting while bumping your pay into the 6-figure range.