1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wafer to Orlando?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketballReasons, Jul 12, 2009.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Sorry. I'm no capologist but I try to stay as informed as I can. Definitely didn't see this issue addressed previously, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

In any event, if all Orlando is using to lure Wafer is a small portion of their MLE remaining from the Brandon Bass signing, I definitely hope with the full MLE at our disposal we intend on competing with that offer. I know we're facing issues with the LT, but it would be a shame to see a talent like Wafer walk out the door for less than $2M.

2. Nicksta

Nicksta Member

Good pick up for Orlando, fits the system well

3. Moahst

Moahst Member

Von Wafer is the perimeter option off the bench this team will need next season. Give him a deal Morey.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No worries. It's mostly been buried in random threads, so it's not surprising. I get much more frustrated when people disseminate bad information, which then spreads.

This is why I find the Orlando mention curious. It doesn't appear to be an especially minutes friendly location (with Carter, Lewis, and Pietrus in tow), and they don't have much money to offer. Assuming max raises (which would be the lowest possible base), Bass' first year salary is 4m. With the MLE set at 5.85m, that leaves about 1.85m for Wafer in Orlando.

Wafer's best bet with other teams would look to be the bi-annual exception, which starts at 1.99m. The Rockets don't have one (we used ours on Brent Barry), and neither does Orlando (according to realGM...I think they used it on Anthony Johnson?).

I'm still a bit surprised by the seemingly ultra-low interest in Wafer. I would have imagined him to get into conversations at the same time as Dahntay Jones or Jarrett Jack. He could have made a lot of sense on the Cavs, who signed Anthony Parker for a 2 year, 6m deal.

At 2m, I'd be very tempted to bring Wafer back. If it's pure money, we would have an inside track -- we could offer a 1 year deal with a player option on year 2 that would give him some security but also allow him to opt out -- in this situation, we would then have "Early Bird" rights.

1 person likes this.
  5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Btw, could it be possible that Wafer's agent is just inventing these rumors to try to attract the Rockets attention? I think this is the kind of move he could/would make in a situation like this one.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't have a problem with that, now that we have the MLE to use. He would get a season to show enough improvement to create some interest and possibly get a better contract, which we could then match, if we wanted. Wafer has all the tools to play good defense... he just doesn't seem interested. That, and the potential back problem (disc) makes a 2 year deal very attractive. Perhaps it could work to his advantage.

7. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

It's not possible; it's probable.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Just as Landry's agent did last year.....Morey is just being patient.

DD

9. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Sign of apocalypse...we agree.

I think Wafer's agent came to Morey with a number, to which Morey said, if you can find this somewhere else, go for it. Wafer and agent are finding the market a little tougher than they thought.

We'll see how things play out. I think it's now better than 50/50 Wafer is back.

10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Considering an unproven player in JT was bought for 2.5mil, I understand Von's a little aggravated when people are talking about only giving 2mil for him..

11. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Different situation. The Rockets are likely to sign Taylor to a 3 year deal worth under 3m. Combined with the cap/luxury tax implications of buying a pick vs. dishing out a contract (the latter costing double if you go over), and the "2.5m", and the two aren't really comparable at all.

12. Josephduyho03

Josephduyho03 Member

Go to Orlando...I don't think anyone here will notice he's gone

13. van chief

van chief Member

Second that... if Adelman sent him the showers how is he going to survive with a Van Gundy

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree.

15. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

One dimensional knuckleheads that don't understand their role well enough to keep from getting sent to the showers during a game, don't deserve more than a minimum contract until they prove they have matured by playing some actual defense for a season.

Wafer isn't worth a 2mil/year contract. 1.2 to 1.5 for 2 years with the second being a player option is a good contract for wafer.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

sorry guys I couldnt ask Morey about the situation he seemed very busy yesterday and kept right by the locker room most of the day. (players/team officials only access) :(

Well he did sit right behind me during the Rockets game but trust me from experience that is neither the time or place to be asking him about anything he will either a)ignore you or b) give you a total BS answer

also he doesnt liked to be bothered during the game, he intently watches and scouts the players. I would have asked him during a timeout but Tad Brown was sitting next to him and whenever there was a break in action they would start talking to each other.

I shot him a quick email asking about Von yesterday he usually responds to all my emails, but not right away (heck I am surprised he even responds) so as soon as I get a response if nothing has happened with Von i will pass the info along.

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Yoyo, thanks for providing the information and more importantly, for doing it in a respectful manner.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I agree completely. For as much grief as I've started giving DD about his bromance with Wafer, I think that signing him to a two-year deal (second year being a player option) at under $2M per is a good value, one from which Morey probably would not walk away.

Two things to consider (just to clarify/inform, not to dissuade):

(1) The Rockets do NOT get an opportunity to match offers made for Wafer, either this summer or next. Von is currently an unrestricted free agent, and he would again be unrestricted next summer if he opted out of this hypothetical contract.

(2) The Rockets would not be able to trade Von Wafer next season without his consent. Much like Devean George did to the Mavericks in the first iteration of the Jason Kidd deal, Wafer would fall within the rare category of a player who would lose his "Early Bird" rights if he were traded to another team. According to the CBA, he has a right to veto any trade.

Again, I'm all for such a signing. Just wanted people to be informed.