1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wafer Speculation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jun 25, 2009.

1. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

There were quite a few games where we couldn't get a bucket, and Wafer essentially pulled us out of the fire with his shooting. Even with his terrible handle, and erractiness the guy can flat out score. So I'd definitly like to keep the guy. Taylor's build is definilty NBA ready but you never know about his production until you get him on the floor.

It's also contigent on what kind of contract we end up giving Artest.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Lowry for Rafer and the tense Landry resigning definitely made it clear that moneyball matters. Morey isn't going to dole out MLE deals to anybody that has a nice season, especially if he can nab a replacement for less than $2M.

I can only assume Wafer wants full MLE, and the Rockets are probably not going to go beyond Landry's offer.

Chase and Jermaine are solid leverage pieces, in the least. Given Wafer's tantrum in the playoffs, I'm not against letting him walk.

In Morey I trust.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Huh? I didn't read your post.....lol....like 2 people can't have similar thoughts.....

Sheesh !!

And it is you're ...junior.

DD

4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

lol your funny :) You have a way different opinion then suddenly get a light bulb idea like 5 minutes after I posted! And that idea is the same as mine. But whatever, i'm not the first to disagree with you on certain things you do.

5. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Wafer?? Hahaha. He can go. The guy had ONE magical season and all of a sudden he is the answer to everything. HAHAHAHA what a joke. The guy gets cut team after team and he gets his chance here and now he must stay. Unbelievable.

If that's the case lets get Stromile back he had ONE good season. We can use him to because of his height. Or rather lets get Oberto. He was with the Spurs so he must be good because they know what their doing over there in their organization. :rolleyes:

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is not disagreeing with me, it is you saying I read your post and then copied it......

Whatever, I guess you and I....AGREE......and where is your post, I would love to read it, was it in this thread?

DD

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

A backup center is so important for the rockets, so I guess that Morey want to save a full MLE to get a backup center. We can not get any reliable big man if we give 50% of MLE to Wafer unless a trade from Tmac, or Brooks etc. So I think that Wafer is going to be gone because of those three picks.

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

DD,
    Pathetic. Your swings are bi-polar. no one knows what Wafer is asking for. No one knows how good the guys we just picked will be. no one knows if Wafer will be a rocket next year. Please stop being loyal to a player over the organization when you don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

10. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think so. What I think it means is that Morey isn't going to overpay him, and that his antics won't be tolerated if he re-signs. In other words, smaller contract and shorter leash and better attitude or he's kicked off the team and Chase gets his minutes.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Out of respect for DD, one of the truly great posters on this BBS, I am going to put this all together in a nice little package and respond to several of his posts (which seems to comprise the majority of his take on this draft haul):

In 2007, the Rockets took two "older" rookies in Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry in the middle third of the draft (#26 and #31, respectively). By the end of the season, both were contributors to a playoff team. Brooks had a couple of nice spurts against the Jazz when Rafer was out; and Carl Landry made the single biggest play for the Rockets in that series with his game-saving block of Deron Williams. I won't even count our third rookie (Scola), since he was basically already a veteran.

Given that Brooks and Landry have already become MAJOR contributors on this team in less than two seasons, what makes you so sure that Jermaine Taylor and/or Chase Budinger couldn't probably (yes, I said PROBABLY, not possibly) come close to this level of production either this season or next?

DD, I expect much better examples from you than THIS to make your point.

Eliyahu, Newley and Leunen were all selected BECAUSE they could develop overseas for several years. Lior looks like his European career is getting ready to take off, and (while I agree that he probably will never make a great impact on the Rockets roster) he could prove to be a valuable trade chip down the line for another team convinced that he can contribute to its roster. Newley is developing nicely over in Greece and could end up being a nice "roster filler" player for the Rockets in the next 1-2 years. Not bad for a LATE second rounder. Leunen is a "fit" guy who could quite possibly make the team in 2010 after the Rockets dump Brian Cook. Another "roster filler" player, but also another LATE second rounder.

As for Dorsey, that draft grade is still incomplete. While I tend to agree with you that, in hindsight, he was not Morey's greatest decision, but he was legitimately injured for almost all of last season (ask Mario Williams about plantar fascaitis) and did not have the opportunity to develop last year. His attitude was piss poor, but he appears to have finally realized that he is on the bottom rung of the totem pole and is working very hard (and staying humble) this summer to improve. He could turn in to a contributing player on this team.

Also, of the above players, only Dorsey (#33) was drafted anywhere NEAR these guys. Eliyahu was drafted right around where Budinger went, but nearly every draft expert agrees that Budinger was an absolute STEAL at #44. Newley and Leunen were taking in the mid- to late 50s. Big difference in talent there.

I agree that Morey will likely not sign any of these guys until both the Artest and Wafer situations are resolved, but that is not necessarily an indication that Morey does not want to have those picks on the roster next year.

First of all, there will be no offer (above the league minimum salary, that is) made to Von Wafer until the Ron Artest situation is resolved. If Artest re-signs for "too much money", then the Rockets might not be able to afford Wafer's salary demands given the luxury tax ramifications. If Artest walks in free agency, the Rockets will want to preserve their entire MLE in order to keep their options open with some of the better available free agents out there. No way Morey ties his hands by offering Wafer ANYTHING of significance. Unlike with Landry (a restricted free agent) last year, Wafer is an unrestricted free agent, free to sign with whomever and whenever he wants. Von may very well lose patience with the Rockets and Artest (we all know how patient Von is ON the floor, right?) and decide to bolt to the first team that offers him a moderately attractive multi-year deal. And I wouldn't necessarily blame him.

Even if the Rockets want to keep Von Wafer AND Von waits it out and finally comes to terms on a deal with the Rockets for a portion of the MLE, Morey may choose at that point to use the remainder of the MLE on Jermaine Taylor (and possibly on Chase Budinger), just like he did for Steve Novak and for Joey Dorsey. The MLE contracts will give the Rockets more options with those guys, including a team option on a third year.

Bottom line: Daryl Morey and Sam Hinkie are not idiots. In fact, they have been one of the top 5 front office groups in the league over the past couple of years, including in the draft. They will draft wisely, allocate assets wisely, negotiate shrewdly with their free agents, and maximize their use of the MLE.

DD, cheer up, buddy. This was actually a GOOD draft haul for the Rockets. Maybe they use one of the guys in a trade. But it is more likely that these guys fit in to the long-term (and probably even short-term) future of the Houston Rockets.

12. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Its funny how guys are judging Dorsey after one year. I mean damn. Who actually kills their 1st year when coming from college that is a mid late 2nd round pick. You guys are something else. Did Aaron Brooks kill his 1st year noooo. Did Landry kill right away nooooooo. Get off the guys back and just wait.