1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wafer fans vs. Battier fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm confused, are you saying he was already a Rocket when we traded for him?

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Are you saying would I rather an ugly win over a "pretty" loss? Of course I would take the win, but I would rather watch the "run and gun" Suns over the VanGundy Knicks. Even ugly wins start to get on my nerves after awhile. How about you? Ultimately, sports is about entertainment, not "enduring" untold pain.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Can't say you love a box score to me if you're talking only about scoring. That's one dimension of a box score. It's an important one, but so are the defensive categories.

Streetball fans prefer style over substance to me.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As much as I love Battier and the read and react style of playing on offense, I also realize that you can not win the brass ring with role players.

Sometimes you need a guy that is a bit of a wild card that the other team and sometimes your own has NO idea what he is going to do, and if that wild card is an EFFICIENT player (especially scorer) even better.

I am struggling with the thought of starting Ariza and Battier, that is such a predictable duo...gonna be good on D, but on O....man.....I hope Aaron Brooks can develop into CP3...because he will not get much help from them as far as creating for others, and driving to the rim off the bounce.

I really like a team with contrast on it, it would be great to have contrast and attackability - but then you have a superstar like Jordan, a guy who can play on and off the ball....

Wafer to me is a guy who puts so much pressure on the opponents defense and I admire his fearlessness.......some would call it stupidity, I would too....if he didn't hit such a good percentage of his shots.....guys who are efficient scorers cause the other team to feel pressure trying to keep up, that is as important as playing great team D, which Battier does.

If Ariza turns out to be a more athletic Battier, we are going to have to seriously hope that Budinger or Taylor develops quickly...especially if we don't sign Von.

Because if you have two wings who play good D, but are not that great offensively, we will struggle....a lot, IMO.

DD

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I've said it before. Wafer basically fills the role of the running back in our offense. He doesn't have to think, he just has one job--take it to the hoop when we pass him the ball. As a result it gives him gaudy numbers and lots of fans, but just like a Shanahan-run football team our Adelman-run squad could probably mix and match any number of slashing wings into his rotation minutes with similar results.

It doesn't mean he's a bad fit for us, it just means that hes not that special and can be replaced if he gets too big for his britches, either in the salary dept or the ego one.

Personally I think we're still trying to re-sign him but just want to milk as much as possible out of this down market. The supply for guys like him is high, and if there were more interest out there he would already have signed a 2M+ deal.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

That's not what I am necessarily saying, however I guess it is an example. I am saying aesthetically pleasing teams often times garner a good regular season record, however fail to win the big prize, because of their philosophy of trying to outscore the opponent. The recent run and gun teams such as Suns and Warriors come to mind. They lacked the grit and defensive fundamentals of a champion.

Going back to Will's example, these teams were more about the highlight reels, and athletic plays, akin to the Von Wafers of the world. This is not to say they were not exciting to watch and pleased the fans greatly.

On the other hand you have teams considered "boring" such as the Spurs and the 2004 Pistons. What they lacked in flash and excitement, they made up with fundamentally sound basketball and stifling defense. Much like a Shane Battier. And in the end these traits were more important.

This is not to say you can't have the best of both worlds. In fact that is what I would prefer. A balance of defensive grit along with offensive fire. But if I had to only chose one, I would pick the former because it is more conducive to Championships.

On the other hand, if you don't have the team to win a Championship anyways, I guess it is better to be exciting than boring...

7. DaDakota

Phoenix probably wins if Amare is not suspended for game 6 against San Antonio

This would be 100% true, if Von has developed into all he will ever be......but at the age of 23, he has a lot of growing left to do, IMO.

But they all had players that were dedicated to scoring.

Actually, I think it is a bit like that....since the team is not going to win anyway, why not develop some younger talent so that you can trade it for a superstar, hope one becomes a superstar, or are capable players once your superstar comes back.

Load up on young players and go at it.

DD

8. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I look at the box scores, the first thing I look at is the minutes played. It tells me who the coach wanted playing. Can't help but notice that Battier
    gets a lot of minutes.

9. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So the Rockets championship years got on your nerves. That was considered so ugly that the league changed the rules. Me, I thought that was a beautiful baby.

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Maybe, but I think years played is more important than age. Von was only in college for one year, so comparing him against a 4 year college player in his second year wouldn't be the same.

He's had 4 years to work on his NBA game, and I'm not seeing the fundamentals needed, like boxing out for him to be anymore than a one-dimensional player. He probably should have stayed in school longer, but apparently they didn't like his attitude either.

As I've said before, that Udoka game this year was very disturbing. I've never seen an NBA player allow his man to get 3 consecutive offensive rebounds in 3 consecutive possessions. Hell, I'm sure a lot of poster on this BBS could at least box out. How can a professional basketball player miss something so simple?

11. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with that statement, but I think you would agree that you can not win the brass ring without role players.

And yes I know it is tacky to post three times in a row, but I am just late to a pretty good party. Oh good - Smooth Operator I owe you one. Another advantage to being a slow typer.

12. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

its real simple wafer fans= ghetto trash battier fans=pure class

1 person likes this.
  13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

you put alot of thought into this :rolleyes:

14. DaDakota

Which is why he is still a developing player, there is no guarantee that he has enough upstairs to ever get it, but if all he ever is....is a guy who comes in and provides a spart off the bench and instant offense there is a role in the NBA for that type of player and it is good to have on your team.

I love Battier was one of the very few who loved the Gay trade the day it happened, go back and check the threads.....it is like me rowing a boat against a sea of angst....I have liked Battier since his college days and think he is 100% a component on a championship team...

I hope if the Rockets are not able to retool on the fly that they trade this classy warrior to a winning team so he gets a chance to have that champagne party, because everywhere he has been, he has been a winner....and that speaks volumes to me.

DD

15. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

you must be a trash wafer fan plus we dont need von we got a top flight talent now is c bud wafers minutes need to go to a real baller like chase

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

more insightful analysis lol

17. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

u must not watch the summer lg some people shoot 72% FROM THE FREE THROW LINE CHASE SHOOTS 72% FROM 3 lets see von black hole wafer do that

18. DaDakota

Is this a text or a post? Someone help me out here....

DD

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Obviously, when it is your team, they get a pass especially if they are winning championships! Personally, I thought those teams were very exciting to watch regardless. The Dream dominating inside and the threes raining in from the outside. Wow.

20. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Come again?