1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Wade Phillips, Rock Star

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

When a coach lucks into even one of those exceptional high motor guys like a Jared Allen, it makes them look smart whether they are or just average. Maybe getting them or getting them in the right position to succeed is smart. But Wade has Cushing and Watt; two exceptional high motor guys and they are just killing it.

Enjoy it Texans fans, it's a rare thing.

2. conquistador#11

WHoaaa there. Wade has been doing this since we were all a gleam in our mothers' eyes. If I were Wade, following the rules of George Costanza, I would retire after this season. You can't top being number 1 after being last the season before.:p

Sure he isn't the best head coach, though he still gets his teams to the playoffs, but he is an elite d coordinator with a beautiful mind.

Lol at the 'apple turnovers' nicely SERVED.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

forgot part of the meme

[​IMG]

#63 Dubious, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

True ,but even by scoring, we are 3rd in PPG allowed.

The defensive numbers are a little inflated, we've played 5 terrible offenses (Jaguars,Colts,Titans,Dolphins,Browns)

Nonetheless, you still have to play the games, and last year even bad offenses lit us up. The defensive turnaround has been astounding.

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

yea but that's not a measure of defense quality either . . . ;)

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

exactly. In basketball you can use points per possession and that is a really good metric for determining defense quality. In football, it would be very difficult to come up with one stat. Even if you did yards per play(somewhat equivalent to points per possession), it would not take into consideration things like red zone defense or turnovers. Points given up per 10 plays would be the closest thing I could come up with.

#66 tallanvor, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I did a little math, the texans have allowed 157 points on 513 plays, thats 1 point every 3.3 snaps

Thier SPP ( snaps per point if you will )

5th in SPP
    3rd in yards per play
    4th in 3rd down %
    1st is first downs per game

its a great defense, whatever metric you wanna use,

but i'm sure you will still find some reason to deny credit, being drunk on that haterade

1 person likes this.
  8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

thx for the info. I think their defense is good. I just prefer to do the eyeball test than go off any stats. By the eyeball test, it appears lots of teams come in with an unspecific gameplan (like the Browns) which means they couldn't find a weakness (besides Kareem Jackson of course).

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Bottom line, when you look at the big picture the Texans are overall #1 from a subjective and objective point of view- They look nasty and dirty and bloody good, and statistically they allow the least yards given up, they allow the 3rd least amount of points given up. .. .

Love it!

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Feels weird to say this, but it may be time to start worrying about Wade getting HC offers from other teams this offseason.

:eek:

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Real possibility. I think there will be many openings.

Rocket River

12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Look at his history. He spends atleast 2 seasons as a D-coordinator before moving up to head coach. I'm not worried about him leaving this offseason. The book is out on him: great DC, average HC. His Dallas stint is still fresh enough in people's minds to prevent him getting a HC job this offseason.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think it'll be a while before anyone bites on Wade as HC again. If Dom Capers can't get any looks with what he's done in Green Bay, Wade probably won't either.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm curious how much Wade wants a HC at this time in his life...he is 64 after all.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And he loves Houston. He's always heralded when he is a DC, scrutinized and tormented as a HC.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And, while he deserves every ounce of credit imagineable, I would wager a lot of NFL people are very much aware that he inherited talented personnel that had been poorly coached. I truly doubt a one-year turnaround would cause any GM to give him another shot as a HC.

Having said that, Chan Gailey is a HC so.........

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hope you guys are right. I suspect you probably are. But the quick turnaround is definitely going to raise some eyebrows around the league if it keeps up for the rest of the season.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm guessing that Wade finishes his NFL career here.

19. msn

msn Member

Did anyone else hear that the Texans now have the #1 ranked defense in the NFL?????

HOLY CRAP! What next? SNL will be funny again and the Rockets will be healthy?

The Offensive Line is being touted among the best in the NL, and the defense just nabbed a freaking #1 ranking. And the Texans are in 1st place, 3 games over .500.

It's like some alternate universe. Weird as hell. But fun. :grin:

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Texans have benefited from a terrible division:

Colts (31st in offense)
    Jaguars (32nd)
    Titans (27th)

Still, the defense is good. Once AJ is healthy, they may be the best team in the AFC.