1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wade Miller

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lalala902102001, May 9, 2005.

1. lalala902102001

He made his season debut for the Red Sox today:

5 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO, 92 pitches.

Letting this guy walk might just turn out to be the dumbest move of the offseason.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm more upset about not resigning Kent because we thought we had half a shot at Beltran.

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Give it a few weeks, he will be back on the DL.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

giving him $3 MIL and possibly not have him pitch at all (or effectively) might have been the dumbest move in the offseason

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was actually $4.1 million... even worse... unless Miller can hit and play the field everyday.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why? Not enough 1-0 losses for you? Much better to get blown out.

7. lalala902102001

To me a young starting pitcher is much more valuable than an old postion player. Wade Miller has proven that he's a very capable No. 2 or 3 guy in a rotation. A guy like him is worth taking a chance on. If he remains healthy and pitchs well for the Red Sox this year, it will make the Astros look very stupid.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Only to people like you guys who don't understand the cost-considerations. I think we've gone over this issue too many times on this board to rehash it, but it wasn't worth it for the price WE would've had to pay. It was worth it for the price others had to pay.

I mean, Boston got him for cheap and everyone still said "it's a gamble for them...but I think it's worth it". If it's a gamble for BOSTON with all their $ (though not a huge risk at that amount), then why would HOUSTON pay 2 to 4x more?

9. kevwun

kevwun Member

There's a mountain evidence pointing to him not staying healthy.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Besides the fact that he missed all of the second half of last year, the playoffs, all of spring training, and now the first month of this season... for an injury that he never fixed by surgery in the first place (but he could have had he been patient, and not so fixated on making a decent salary this season)??

Nah... no way...

11. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Losing Wade Miller is not what is wrong with the 2005 Astros.

12. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Wrong. At this point right now, not having a competent 5th starter is a major problem of the Astros. Replacing Astacio right now with Miller would help alot in turning this season around.

13. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I hate to disagree, but a competent 5th starter is a luxury for over half the teams in baseball. I stick with Astacio because this season isn't going anywhere anyway. What's the difference between losing 16-0 or 1-0. The Astros problems begin and end with hitting. They've got gigantic holes at every infield position other than 2nd base.

14. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

If we have Miller out there then he improves the 4th starter slot by replacing Backe. Backe then improves the 5th starter slot. I wouldn't call improving both the 4th and 5th starter slots a luxury.

15. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Name all of the teams in MLB that have a quality 5th starter. Have a quality 5th starter is a luxury and is not the problem with the Astros. The Astros have so many problems right now that I dont know where to begin. The biggest problem that I see are no bats. We couldnt hit the ground if we jumped off a building.

16. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Pitching can only take you so far, just like hitting can only take you so far. Right now the Astros bats are so bad, that the Astros could have Oswalt, Pettite, Clemens, Randy Johnson and Kerry Wood and still be 1-14 on the road.

I guess you are mad that Redding and Elarton are gone too.

I personally think our pitchers are starting to feel the stress of a team that isn't capable of scoring any runs. Maybe Miller could have picthed yesterday, then the Astros might have only lost like 4-0 instead of 16-0.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

hey, if they had Kerry Wood, they'd suck even worse!!!

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Well the bats came alive tonight.

19. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

hope ur bein sarcastic.......

20. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

how about those local sports teams?>