1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

vspan: NBA nearly destroyed me, but I no longer hate Van Gundy's lies

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by newplayer, Sep 21, 2007.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is a new video up on YouTube with V-Span posting up a goat ~ ya'll should check it out.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yao would disagree about the selfish prick. And atleast SF3 doesn't complain about man to man defense and he would never quit on the Rockets like V~Gina.

3. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

First off, the quote is "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt" and Mark Twain said it. I think that's great advice that should be followed - not sure why it applies to people that pointed out JVG won 52 games.

You can look at Van Gundy and say he's not a great coach, he'll never win a championship and that he chokes in the playoffs - and you know what you MAY be right, I'm not sure...but the only point I was making earlier is that to say that he'd never coach in the NBA again is ridiculous. There are at least 25 other teams that would've loved to have 52 wins in the regular season. There are countless teams that would take a chance on Van Gundy over their current coach. I'm not saying teams like the Spurs are knocking down his door, but there are lots of teams that are not already championship contenders that are looking for a coach to put their team in the right direction. You may hate Van Gundy, but as yourself if Les Alexander came to you and said hey I've got two choices here for coach which would you choose - Bob Hill or Van Gundy? How many would choose Bob Hill? But you know what, he was head coach last year, he's been head coach before and I promise you someone will take a chance on Bob Hill and other crappy coaches like him - but no...no one would ever want Van Gundy to coach their team...

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I have no doubt that Yao and T-Mac were going "all out" against the NBA Practice Super Squad every time out. I mean, who wouldn't get up for a practice session with household names/talents the likes of V-Mac and Novak?

V-Mac = Delusional...that will always be the man's legacy here in NBA land. You can add "quitter" to that as well.

That being said, I am glad he 'happened' because now we have a much more promising and polished player -- at a position of need -- in Scola, who works hard and cares about winning.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

heyp: the Jesuit in Clutch's Catholic universe.

and no dude, you are seriously weird. I do not wear yellow... not very often anyway. There is just the one dress shirt for spring formals.

And yet! I am with you. Let's stage a post-in until the Vasili Krishnas stop their chanting! It ends here. Woop!

7. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Thanks Rover 16! When the stars on the team start making statements like this the coach is a goner. Everything Yao said was true and if you want to Rockets2K you can conveniently ignore this quote and go on with you blind JVG love, but the guy's ego cost us that playoff series because his doghouse was more important than his teams' success.

Hope this helps my credibility!

8. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Yao just doesn't diss teammates that's all. Yao also compared vspan to nash. You want to believe that too? Francis is a selfish douchebag and it was a terrible terrible decision to bring him back and is a black mark on morey so far. I hope he stays on the bench and only plays 5-10 mins a game at most. We don't need a player like francis on this team, especially when his skills have diminished to the point where it won't help ease having a player of such poor character on the team.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

first...

personal insults....nice
    you are surely a credit to this board :rolleyes:

go back and read what I said.

I was staying out of this till you refused to backup your argument claiming laziness.

then I called you out on it.

I had never read a quote from Yao tearing down his coach...and that was true. I dont have time to read everything that gets posted, just like many others here, so I wanted to see the quote.

doesnt matter what subject its about, if you get asked to provide proof, weaseling out by claiming laziness gives you the impression of zero cred.

now...

Go back and see how many "VG-loving" posts you can find from me...go ahead, I dare ya.

I call you out cause I care about the quality of discussion on this board, it has zero to do with what the subject is about.

at least Im not so blind or ignorant about the realities of the NBA that I make stupid arguments like thinking a coach who is considered upper echelon by EVERY reputable NBA analyst wont get another job in this league just cause you dont like how he runs things.
    I dont jump on EVERY supposed BBS rumor that supports my position and crow about how "This proves what I have been saying" like a few others here.

enough with this...you arent worth the time it took me to type this rant. Feel free to ignore me cause honestly....by labeling me into your little pigeonholes, you've shown yourself to not be worth my time

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How credible are these Titan sports translations?

I remember something a little while ago (don't remember if it was Titan sports), where the "translation" was merely a shoddy paraphrase of the original quote. Can someone with access to the original interview verify the accuracy of that translation?

Also, I don't think it means much for there to be disagreements about strategy. Yao thought Snyder should have gotten more playing time in the playoffs? So did I. That doesn't mean he wanted JVG gone, or thought JVG was a bad coach. In the wake of an extremely disappointing playoff loss, I'd be surprised if the players (and the coach) weren't second guessing strategy. Yao deciding to vent overseas is really not a big deal.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You can't imagine Morey not trading Span for Scola because you are thinking about it in terms of VSpan not coming back and in light of us having James and Brooks. As much as I like VSpan, when we were able to draft Brooks and get James and we knew VSpan wasn't coming back, if I was the GM I would make that trade too. However, when you are looking at the roster before James, Francis, and Brooks, there is absolutely no way I make the VSpan for Scola trade. I am convinced Morey wouldn't make the trade either. There were plenty of insiders telling us that deals were on the table involving VSpan and CD and Morey consistently turned them down. I think CD even stated as much but I'm not going to research that one.

I think it is obvious from the offseason that the Rox #1 priority this offseason was getting the PG issue fixed and relieving playmaking pressure off McGrady. It was obvious that the Rox wanted VSpan to be a big part of that as they were still pursuing him and stating that he was a big part of their future even up to the time that he came public that he wasn't coming back. He was telling them all that behind the scenes and the rumors got out before he went public with it. The reason he went public was to put more pressure on the Rox to turn him loose. Add it up man. They wanted him back. They wanted Van Gundy to play him. At the very least, they wanted to flip flop him and Rafer in the rotation.

2. Van Gundy stated himself that Les wanted a more uptempo coach and a coach that was not so negative about the team to the media. They had already asked Van Gundy to change his approach to the media and be more positive and upbeat prior to last season. Why would Van Gundy not want to come back and coach a team for millions of dollars that just won 52 games, was led by 111 and with a young GM ready to upgrade the roster even further. Van Gundy's big issue is "CONTROL". You can see it in all his teams. He wants to "CONTROL" every aspect of the team on court, who is on the roster, who plays, what position they play, what play they run. Van Gundy is a CONTROL FREAK. He felt his way was the best and he wasn't willing to take any further input and make any more changes at the suggestion of Les, CD, and Morey. If this was not the rub, then what was it? You aren't offering any alternatives. Bottom line: Rox wanted Van Gundy gone because he was not willing to make further changes. Van Gundy was too bullheaded to make the changes. Rox didn't want him back like that. They even went so far as to offer him another position within the org. He didn't want that either. If they had wanted him back as is, he would have been back.

The sole goal of every NBA coach should be to maximize the effectiveness of the team. In Van Gundy's case, not only did he mismanage VSpan, he mismanaged the whole team. Remember, I was on the Rafer bandwagon at the beginning of the season. I thought we were gonna play a classic offense with Rafer penetrating and distributing the ball to guys like Yao, McGrady, and Bonzi. I thought he could push 10 a/g with shooters like Battier and Novak out there to throw the ball out to. Unfortunately, as the season wore on, it became obvious that Van Gundy was putting McGrady in the primary playmaking role and wanted a stand still 3 point shooter in Rafer. This was mismanagement of both Rafer and McGrady, taking one of the worst shooters in the NBA and making him a stand still 3 point bomber and taking one of the best scorers/finishers in the NBA and making him the primary playmaker. It became very obvious to me and many others that we were headed for an early playoff exit because playoff teams were going to exploit Rafer's horrid shooting and the fact that we had to run Luther so much because he could shoot but not defend. Instead of Van Gundy looking for solutions on his current roster and considering changing his offensive game plan, he continued in the rut all the way to the end. Instead of Van Gundy exploiting the possibilities with a guard that runs the pick and roll sick, he continued to run McGrady out there as the playmaker, getting McGrady all banged up, running his mileage up and his effectiveness down. Van Gundy mismanaged the team. In the process, he mismanaged VSPAN, running him at the SG up and down the sidelines while JLIII played dribblemania.

You have an opinion on what would have happened if Van Gundy had worked to develop VSPAN throughout the season. But it's just an opinion. We know what happened with Van Gundy running Rafer out there and it was obvious 40 games into the season that it wasn't going to work. That's not opinion. It's fact. And here's the kicker. Being the statistician and analyst you are, you know there was not enough data to establish what VSpan was. You know yourself you can't use the minute statistical data to project what VSpan would have done. But I do think you know enough about BBall to be able to see that Billy would have been much more effective running a pick and roll for us than Rafer because of his ability to finish, draw fouls, and thread the needle.

I have no doubts that VSpan toasted Rafer in practice all the time. And I have no doubts that frustrated the dickens out of him and puzzled 111 and the front office.

#191 jopatmc, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i live in austin, but work in s.a. a couple days a week and all the sports radio people said thats exactly what it was. their owner is kind of a tight-wad and was looking to dump salary. that is exactly what they did the trade for.

i have alot of family in s.a. and they are all unanimously pissed that they let scola walk. the bottom line is that the spurs didnt want to pay him.

the hardcore spurs fans have had their eye on scola for years and were really wanting to have him. a frontline of duncan-scola would be pretty nasty. it all came down to money. i wasnt expecting much of scola when we got him, but after talking to my s.a. relatives and they tell me how pissed they are that we got him i feel alot better. the guy is ready.

13. B-Bob

Based on anything? Certainly not the only practice statistics we've obtained.

If not based on any kind of hard evidence, if it's an article of faith, I can respect that, but then you've entered: Vasilis as religion.

You are creating a new Greek Myth! Can you tell us that he perhaps has the brain of a horse, the body of a man, and the crotch of a whale? Please don't keep your creativity in check.

14. Rover16

Rover16 Member

How about based on using your own two freaking eyes and watching alston play in games. He absolutely blows and was the worst pg on our team last year bar none, but because he was jvg's teacher's pet he got his 40 mins a night. That was a disgrace and shows that jvg doesn't do what's best for the team and play the best lineup. He plays his favorite players.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The pattern in this thread is hilarious, very amusing.

It is like a stupidity horse race

First thewaterox says something incredibly earnest and incredibly stupid, then Rover16 chimes in with something more laughably dumb to follow up.

This sends a chill wind blowing through the fern forests, and windfern has to show up with a fresh nugget of turd logic.

But that's not going to stop waterrox and Rover16, who aggressively charge back into the lead.

Who is biding his time at the back of the pack?

Why, it's Jopatmc - he's been there all along ladies and gentleman - biding his time - Jopatmc, the veritable Seabiscuit of Spanoulis nutriding, pulls victory out of his ass, by summoning all his sheer, jockhanging force of will , and retroactively inventing a hot-v-span trade market, backed with a fabrication-laden, incredibly illogical magnum opus dissertation of a post that catapults him into the lead like a bat out of hell, or even a beast out of Hades itself!!!

JOPATMC at the LINE! JO PAT EMMMM CEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. B-Bob

Another of the faithful! Praise be!

Can you point to me saying anything good about Rafer? It's like a lame D&D tactic -- tell me I'm a Rafer-lover now. LOL.

My own eyes? Well, V-Span showed me an A/T ratio less than 1.0 in the NBA. In the Euro championships, it was just over 1.0, barely. That's inexcusable. He shot 20% in practice, according to the only stats we have. That's worse than Rafer, and that's very hard to do. Rafer can't shoot for Helenic-era petrified excrement, but our only evidence shows he is still somehow better than V-Span at shooting the ball in a Rockets uniform or practice jersey.

I also saw that V-gyna could not stay in front of his man, and the guy *admits* this, if you believe the interview that started this thread. He says he could not do 1-on-1 or 2-on-2 defense. We had a stubborn coach who loves defense, so of course he went with Rafer.

But your point is really irrelevant. I was not allowed to view practice. Were you? jopatmc says that he has no doubt that V-Span torched rafer in practice. I'm just saying none of us know that, so you guys are starting a religion. Luckily it is Greek, so ther is a nice tradition to build on.

Perhaps one of you should consult an oracle to find out what happened in practice! I think you have to sacrifice a lamb first though. Perhaps, if you can't find a lamb, a suitable sacrifice would be to stop posting about a non-Rocket.

#196 B-Bob, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  17. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Good interview by V-span! ehh kill bill :D

He is a big fish in a small pond. And some people need it that way. Because in the big pond you've got to prove yourself or at least that you deserve a chance. Nothing gets handed to you, and if it is, even for #1 draft picks, it's taken back pretty soon if it doesn't work out.

And frankly, it seems there is a slightest of possibilies that he could lead a team. I have my doubts as to how good that team would be. Just go back and remember the Phoenix Suns after Barkley, Marley, and Kevin Johnson. They sucked. And out of nowhere, this NBA journey man that is Rex Champman revitalized them; averaging in the 20 points per game range.

But, like a previous thread said, he ain't a Rocket and neither is Jeff Van Gundy. So, this should go to either international or NBA Dish.

18. WNBA

WNBA Member

this piece of **** is signature worthy.

19. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Don't worry, you're not the only person who remains blinded about francis and wants to live in the past still.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

but Yao Ming loves Steve Francis, and hasn't really said anything about missing VSpan....has he.